T2 HbA1c results

flonvic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes. I found it effective, even after I'd halved the daily dose to 40 mgs. Unlike metformin, the effects of which are cumulative, gliclazide works within hours. Over some 15 years of use, I was not aware of side effects, but some patients complain of weight gain.

Please be aware that gliclazide works chiefly by stimulating the amount of insulin produced by the pancreas. If insulin resistance rather than insulin deficiency is the principal concern, then gliclazide may make things worse in the long run. Back in 2003 when I was first prescribed gliclazide, this potential drawback was never mentioned. We now know most, if not all Type 2s, already have ample insulin circulating, so 'flogging' and 'dead horses' spring to mind. For this reason, I was advised to wean myself off the drug in December 2018.

That said, some patients have been prescribed gliclazide for more than 30 years without apparent effects to the pancreas.
Thanks.I dont take it but i was prescribed it last year.dn said it could cause me to pass out! Decided to try with diet( was already on metoormin and linagliptin.To cut a long story short,my hba1c is down and i am happy as i am .Dn wants to look at reducing meds.Appointment in a couple of weeks.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks.I dont take it but i was prescribed it last year.dn said it could cause me to pass out! Decided to try with diet( was already on metoormin and linagliptin.To cut a long story short,my hba1c is down and i am happy as i am .Dn wants to look at reducing meds.Appointment in a couple of weeks.
Small wonder you weren't keen to add gliclazide therapy to your existing medication. Sounds as though your diabetic nurse was pointing to the risk of hypoglycaemia if over-corrected.

Congratulations on lowering your HbA1c from 71 to 45 mmols/mol and thanks once again for raising this interesting thread.

Reactions: flonvic

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Amazing result, and my friend and I played a fun game trying to find out what the asterisked bit was.
She won, and we both learnt a new word in English! :joyful:
LoL It happens all the time. The people of Scunthorpe were peeved when their town was spelt S****horpe.

It just goes to show artificial intelligence isn't intelligent at all really. It's simply following the rules that have been programmed into it by its human creators. Dr Geoff Hinton et al are worried that AI chatbots could become more intelligent than ourselves. If the above is any guide, we'll be safe for centuries to come!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just been reading through this thread and looked up my records..

I’m frankly a bit disappointed with my GP surgery since I’ve been going for regular tests as invited and HbA1c hasn’t really been brought up until this year when I received an invitation to a retinopathy eye test unexpectedly.

Results are as follows:
Sep ‘16: 40
Jul ‘18 43
Aug ‘19 42
Feb ‘22 48
Mar ‘22 47
May ‘22 49
Jun ‘22 47
Mar ‘23 54
Apr ‘23 53
Jul ‘23 53

Next is end Oct, hoping for a better result now I finally (thanks to this forum) know what I’m dealing with.

Last edited:

jessj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed in May '21 - 91. Straightaway I made changes, then luckily, after about 3weeks, found this forum & started a low carb lifestyle. That resulted in the next reading in Aug being 43. Carrying on...
Feb '22 - 36
June - 38
Dec - 41
Jun '23 - 38 GP said to stop Metformin
Sept - 42
Mar '24 - ??

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just been reading through this thread and looked up my records..

I’m frankly a bit disappointed with my GP surgery since I’ve been going for regular tests as invited and HbA1c hasn’t really been brought up until this year when I received an invitation to a retinopathy eye test unexpectedly.

Results are as follows:
Sep ‘16: 40
Jul ‘18 43
Aug ‘19 42
Feb ‘22 48
Mar ‘22 47
May ‘22 49
Jun ‘22 47
Mar ‘23 54
Apr ‘23 53
Jul ‘23 53

Next is end Oct, hoping for a better result now I finally (thanks to this forum) know what I’m dealing with.
A hug for the lack of support from GP.

But a huge win for the learning curve.

Forewarned is forearmed
And offense IS the best defence.

It also helps if you can remember now your T2D, EVERYTHING they told you about food is a lie :cool:

Caz141

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Finally got the results for 6 months since last test. Happy with results thanks to this forum. You lot should take over the doctors. Saying that my nurse did hand the reins to this website.
My first year of diabetes:

Oct 22-90. Nov 22-75. Jan 23-46.
April 23-40. Oct 23-37mmol/l

Kernow Debra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Diagnosed at 87 in April, 3 months later with the help of this forum and meds 38.
Just had results from last 3 months totally med free, 40.
Was initially a bit hard on myself for the number going up, but am very happy on reflection.
My morning readings definitely increased after stopping Metformin.
Also a reminder that I must keep doing what I’m doing.
Thanks to all for the support, wisdom and inspiration.

hankshanklin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Some really excellent stories on here :)
I was diagnosed at the end of July 23 at 111 mmol/l following my first blood test in years which had identified an unknown rash on my upper body as contact dermatitis that subsequently got a bacterial infection - and my sugary syrup blood was feeding it so was struggling to shift it!
Thanks to these forums (I'm more of a lurker than a poster) that have shown me what people can do, changing their diet and sharing their meals and success, I've managed to get my levels down to 51 mmol/l in 3 months - so chuffed! I've made some major lifestyle changes and the doc is very happy with my progress and tells me to keep up the good work and test again in 6 months - more determined than ever to keep this going!
Thanks again to anyone posting here who's given me tips, ideas and inspiration - you're all fantakka!! :)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Result yesterday down to 43 from 53 when diagnosed in July.

I credit this forum for most of this improvement, plus the Libre 2 week free trial! Thank you lovely people.

I celebrated with some homemade low carb brownies and cream.

Diabetes nurse I have now is very supportive and encouraging.

Next test end January hoping to get it below 42.

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
Result yesterday down to 43 from 53 when diagnosed in July.

I credit this forum for most of this improvement, plus the Libre 2 week free trial! Thank you lovely people.

I celebrated with some homemade low carb brownies and cream.

Diabetes nurse I have now is very supportive and encouraging.

Next test end January hoping to get it below 42.
I completely agree!
Had my annual test last week. Down from 76 (spot test in April this year) to 61. Still a way to go but with the support of this forum and ongoing use of Libre2 I will get there.
Incidentally my DN was very happy that I was “taking control” and said she heard that Type 2s may be able to get funded CGMs “in the next few years” (Scotland NHS).

Last edited: