Tablets v insulin

jay10

I'm a t2 diabetic, was diet controlled until I fell pregnant last year and was put on a regime of insulin. Post baby I could not get my bs down, so started on metformin 500x2 which causes me to spend half the day on the loo but still does not have much effect on my bs (running between 10-16) I'm low carbing aswell. I have researched and I am thinking about asking my dr to commence me on a slow acting insulin as it worked so well for me in pregnancy bringing my hba1c down aswell. Can I have Antibes views on this, anyone who as a type 2 had gone onto insulin very early. Can't speak to my diabetic nurse as she's an imbecile who I'm surpassed remembers to breath. Any views will be appreciated

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Hi Jay

There are other options other than insulin and metformin. It may be that one of the newer drugs such as Victoza, Byetta or Bydureon would be something to consider. Your doctor may want to try you on a sulphonylurea but, like insulin, that may cause weight gain and/or hypos.

Regards

Doug

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
One other option which may or may not work for you is Sitagliptin (Januvia) tablets. It has helped me where Met and Glic (sulfonylurea) haven't helped that much. Sitagliptin doesn't affect your weight and doesn't cause hypos. It is quite new and a bit expensive so your surgery may not be too aware of it or want to prescribe it. It helps with BS spikes.