Tandem Control IQ pump failed again!

sallymac65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Feeling high, people not understanding the difference between type 1 + 2, those people who dont listen!
Hi all, I am a PWD and have lived with the disease for 45 years in the UK. The last ten of which I have been using a pump, the last two years using the Tandem Control IQ pump (closed loop).

I'm the last eight months I have had two pumps completely fail, ie they have both had the same malfunction code. A new one has been sent each time, yet this time I am far from confident in the device.

Returning to using pens has been easier than I thought it would be thankfully.

Has anyone else had the same problems with this pump, keen to know? Thanks, Sally

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @sallymac65 I too am a tandem slim user and follow the group on Facebook - I haven't come across anyone else yes with a failure, but keen to ask what was the issue and how quickly did you get a replacement ?

I have written down my profile in case this ever happens as had around 4 Medtronic pump failures so learned from this to keep back up pens and my profile written down in case !

Reactions: sallymac65

sallymac65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Feeling high, people not understanding the difference between type 1 + 2, those people who dont listen!
Hi @Juicyj, interesting that you have previously had Medtronic failures, I used to be on a Medtronic pump, but switched to Tandem as it seemed to be more advanced.

I attach a photo of the malfunction code in case it happens to you.

Thankfully I always have spare stocks of insulin pens. After 12 years on a pump it's so nice to have a bit of a break. I am however still using the @dexcom G6 sensors.

Not to be connected for once is bliss!
IMG_20220522_011530~2.jpg

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been given the choice of a Tandem or Medtronic pump. Apart from the failures, do you like the Tandem pump? And Juicyj, which one do you prefer and why?

Reactions: sallymac65

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I've been given the choice of a Tandem or Medtronic pump. Apart from the failures, do you like the Tandem pump? And Juicyj, which one do you prefer and why?

The Tandem Slim - hands down a far more superior pump.

It's linked to the Dexcom via Control IQ so makes basal adjustments based on your profile settings, which is brilliant for good quality sleep as it does the work for you so you wake in range - obviously as with any pump requires tweaks to get ratios set and these can and do change, but I have now cracked exercise mode on the Tandem Slim which was the only thing I couldn't figure out and was far easier to manage on the Medtronic beforehand but now that's sorted there's no drawbacks with this pump for me personally.

@sallymac65 Yes that's quite a nice feeling being untethered, I do it when on short runs or bathing and it's bliss ! Hope you get sorted soon.

sallymac65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I've been given the choice of a Tandem or Medtronic pump. Apart from the failures, do you like the Tandem pump? And @Juicyj, which one do you prefer and why?
Hi @Hopeful34 and @Juicyj - despite the challenges I have had with the Tandem Control IQ pump latterly, it beats Medtronic hands down. The closed-loop system is great, perhaps I've just been unfortunate. They are investigating the reasons why.

Not being attached as you say @Juicyj is bliss, but my TIR is not at all good, and that's my biggest concern of being on pens long term. Early days and all that, but I certainly feel free-er for one. I've not had a pump break before, clearly something to remember in the future.

Reactions: Hopeful34

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the feedback @Juicyj and @sallymac65. I thought the Tandem one was better when I saw it, but good to hear from those who have used it :). The only concern I've got is that I use Fiasp at the moment to reduce post meal spikes, and I know you can't use that in the Tandem.

I know you can use Basal IQ or Control IQ. I'm unsure why anyone would choose Basal IQ? Can anyone enlighten me, please?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Also a Tandem B IQ user with Dexcom and have had it for nearly a year with no technical fails so far.
I did have a couple of total fails with the previous Roche pump though and although the customer service people got one out promptly these things always seem to happen at the weekend.
Hope things work out with the pen and I am so sorry to hear of your bad luck with \Tandem.

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know you can use Basal IQ or Control IQ. I'm unsure why anyone would choose Basal IQ? Can anyone enlighten me, please?
In my case, I did not choose the software. I had, wrongly, assumed that the pump would have Control IQ from the start. I've had the pump since 17th June. A nurse from the Tandem agents (Air Liquide) set the pump up together with a hospital nurse. Basal IQ is the basic software, and I was told that I had to complete on-line training to get the Control IQ software, which I did at home the next day. At the end of the training you get a certificate that you need to email to Air Liquide. Thus far I have not received Control IQ software. I do not know if it is a case of Air Liquide not being able to marry the certificates to my details, but they (again) told the hospital nurses that I needed to do the training Therefore, I repeated the training a week ago and sent them the certificates for the second time. I also copied the certificates to hospital nurses but I am still waiting for the Control IQ.

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In my case, I did not choose the software. I had, wrongly, assumed that the pump would have Control IQ from the start. I've had the pump since 17th June. A nurse from the Tandem agents (Air Liquide) set the pump up together with a hospital nurse. Basal IQ is the basic software, and I was told that I had to complete on-line training to get the Control IQ software, which I did at home the next day. At the end of the training you get a certificate that you need to email to Air Liquide. Thus far I have not received Control IQ software. I do not know if it is a case of Air Liquide not being able to marry the certificates to my details, but they (again) told the hospital nurses that I needed to do the training Therefore, I repeated the training a week ago and sent them the certificates for the second time. I also copied the certificates to hospital nurses but I am still waiting for the Control IQ.

Phew! Finally, received Control IQ software download by email last night. Now it is up to me to check, and input the correct profile in the pump. This is time-consuming, and I feel that the Air Liquid rep/nurse should have done it instead of setting up the Basal IQ. A hospital diabetes nurse told me on Friday that there were five other people who have had to chase the Control IQ software from Air Liquide. I fail to understand why I had not been given the Control IQ with the pump. The computerised 'training' was so simple that having had to wait this long seems futile.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Glad you've finally got it @ElenaP. Hope it all goes well from now on. When I was discussing different pumps with my diabetes nurse, I was offered Tandem pump with either Basal IQ that could change to Control IQ, or one with Control IQ from the beginning, so I'll check that with her.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all, I am a PWD and have lived with the disease for 45 years in the UK. The last ten of which I have been using a pump, the last two years using the Tandem Control IQ pump (closed loop).

I'm the last eight months I have had two pumps completely fail, ie they have both had the same malfunction code. A new one has been sent each time, yet this time I am far from confident in the device.

Returning to using pens has been easier than I thought it would be thankfully.

Has anyone else had the same problems with this pump, keen to know? Thanks, Sally

I'm also on my second t:slim, I've not kept a record of the fault codes. But think both have related to battery charging issues. That said its the best pump I've had so far in 12 or so years, linked to the Dexcom its just so magical :)

Reactions: megan

david4503

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a few questions as someone who has considered and rejected the pump, including the latest versions.

*What would you consider a serious enough failure or malfunction to get you to return to injections, as the OP did?

*How important was TIR in your decision to go for and stay on the pump? Did your TIR align with your A1c before moving to the pump and if not, how do you explain this? TIR, I should note, is not usually considered important as a measure of good control here in the U.S. A1c is where the focus is.

*How concerned are you about being only on rapid-acting insulin with the pump and the very short timeframe before DKA would set in in the case of some sort of electronic or mechanical failure, such as your tubing getting pinched or disconnected while asleep?

I’d appreciate anyone taking a crack at any of these questions.