1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Teeth whitening and Diabetes

Discussion in 'Non-Diabetic Medication' started by GlucoseKnight, Mar 27, 2012.

1. GlucoseKnight

GlucoseKnight · Member

Has anyone had the teeth whitening procedure done and has diabetes type 1?
    Is it recommended and has anyone had any complications?

2. GlucoseKnight

GlucoseKnight · Member

I had no response from anyone on the forum however I did get a reply from Diabetes UK and so I thought I would share this with you.

There is no evidence to show that there is a risk for people with diabetes that they are aware of and as long as your dentist has receommended or agreed for you to have the treatment then there is no reason why you should not have it.

I am booked in to have mine done this week (in preparation for my Wedding in a few months), I will let you know how it goes.

Hope this has helped answer any queries you may also have.

3. WhitbyJet

WhitbyJet · Well-Known Member

GlucoseKnight thank you for your post.
    I actually missed your first one or else I would have responded. I have had teeth whitening done but I am type 2.

I have also had implants done 3 years ago. Normally dentists say these cannot be done for diabetics. However I persuaded my dentist to reconsider by providing 18 months of Hb1ac at non diabetic levels.
    I lost 4 teeth as result of a car crash and had to wear a partial denture for it. I couldn't handle it and felt nauseous all the time. The implants worked out perfect I had some bone loss but this was dealt with as well.
    I wish you all the best for your forthcoming wedding.

4. julbaritua

julbaritua · Newbie

Thanks for this new information for diabetes. And agree to that "as long as your dentist has receommended or agreed for you to have the treatment then there is no reason why you should not have it." And I think also that dentist really knows if it's risky or not right?
    Good Luck on your Wedding and Teeth whitening.

5. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

Yep. Type 1 and I had it done. Not pleasant having jaws locked open for such a long time..gums really hurt for 12 hours. But I wasnt told not to have it done because of my diabetes..

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook