Teresa May

Hoping4Cure

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Why would you say you have the enormous luck to be T1. Surly being diagnosed with T1 or T2 is life changing in a detrimental way.

It's clear to me now, reading comments here and elsewhere, that there is such a thing as a Type 1 Diabetes "Stockholm Syndrome".

As if people couldn't realize without having such an albatross on their neck that adding more troubles like alcoholism or obesity or poor diet isn't a good idea. Sorry for the triple negatives. What I mean is, you don't have to wait until you get a life-threatening disease until you adopt a healthy life-style and take responsibility for the choices you make.

You're supposed to eat healthy and exercise! It's for the good of your own body. Why is is necessary for someone to put a gun to your head before you decide to do what's right?

For the love of all that's holy on this planet, I cannot understand this mentality. A complete lack of perspective. I would have achieved far more in life (more than I have, which is quite a bit better than most people I know) had I not been cursed with this disease. I could've been an astronaut, but no.

I can't speak for type 2s (nor will I, ever again), but type 1 diabetes isn't a gift, it's a curse. And anyone who says otherwise, to my mind, is believing a lie created by their own mind as a rationalization to make sense of it. It's the "Just World Fallacy", applied to yourself. You got type 1 for a good reason, to make you better than you were. It's a delusion borne of a breakdown of reasoning.

One could easily pick up a book or read a study or watch a youtube video on how to adopt a healthy lifestyle, and many millions upon millions of non-diabetics indeed do so, every day. Taking care of yourself is not worthy of some sort of trophy, it's just basic responsibility as an adult for the condition of your existence.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It's clear to me that there is such a thing as a Type 1 Stockholm Syndrome.

As if people couldn't realize without having such an albatross on their neck that adding more troubles like alcoholism or obesity or poor diet isn't a good idea. Sorry for the triple negatives. What I mean is, you don't have to wait until you get a life-threatening disease until you adopt a healthy life-style and take responsibility for the choices you make.

You're supposed to eat healthy and exercise! It's for the good of your own body. Why is is necessary for someone to put a gun to your head before you decide to do what's right?

For the love of all that's holy on this planet, I cannot understand this mentality. A complete lack of perspective. I would have achieved far more in life (more than I have, which is quite a bit better than most people I know) had I not been cursed with this disease. I could've been an astronaut, but no.

I can't speak for type 2s (nor will I, ever again), but type 1 diabetes isn't a gift, it's a curse. And anyone who says otherwise, to my mind, is believing a lie created by their own mind as a rationalization to make sense of it. It's the "Just World Fallacy", applied to yourself. You got type 1 for a good reason, to make you better than you were. It's a delusion borne of a breakdown of reasoning.

One could easily pick up a book or read a study or watch a youtube video on how to adopt a healthy lifestyle, and many millions upon millions of non-diabetics indeed do so, every day. Taking care of yourself is not worthy of some sort of trophy, it's just basic responsibility as an adult for the status of your life.
That reply was in response to my own comment. Which was sarcastic. T1 ruined my life. I hate it. I did explain that in response to that reply.

Hoping4Cure

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Type 1 ruined my life too. My comment wasn't directed at you, but there are many out there who think like that.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
All Welsh and NI CCGs have approved it.

Confusing, although I can see now that the Welsh Assembly have this idea of "One Wales" which implies the cost of anything CCGs do is spread over all of them. Northern Ireland is slightly different in that their 18 HSC Trusts (Health and Social Care) were re-organised into 5 geographic HSC Trusts with an objective of co-operation (bit like Wales).

Maybe England should take lessons?

Birmingham isn’t.

Also noticed that Birmingham and Solihull CCG is the largest CCG in England with 1.2 million patients. Wolverhampton on the other hand only has 262,000 registered patients. Almost as barmy as constituency sizes.

Not sure if you seen the policy document, makes interesting reading, especially where they try and justify their decision. There is a glimmer of hope though, especially as some CCGs are already recognising the the cost in comparison to the alternatives including test strips and complications.

"The CCG will only fund this treatment if an Individual Funding Request (IFR) application proves exceptional clinical need and is supported by the CCG."

A friend of mine has had to do that here in the Chiltern CCG for funding for a knee replacement, something he had urgently needed for 5 years. He had a good GP that had to put forward a good argument.

Not really fair that one CCG can think they have good cause to deny funding whereas others are OK with it, whether CGM or knees or whatever.

L

Lar oli mu

I can't get mine here in Canada despite having a script for it, since I work for myself and no insurance company will give me a group plan that covers it, and the basic drug plan doesn't think it's necessary. So I'm left with all the holes in my fingertips and lack of touch sensitivity and nasty surprises if I make a mistake or dare exercise a long time.
Go Canada!
Please don’t worry about not having a permanent freestyle libre. You may think about just getting one for a couple weeks to see where your blood sugar rhythm is off and then switch back to normal testing. The drawback about libre that nobody talks about is, that they use some sort of immune system blocker to keep the sensors from causing inflammation in the skin. It is so nice to have a sensor sticking in your skin for two weeks straight and pulling it off, there is no inflammation at all. That’s not normal! Not at all. So since they don’t let you know, what they put on the sensor, it is nothing natural, that’s for sure. For me this is a huge drawback, because I don’t want any drugs spreading in my body that mess with my immune system. Diabetes is a killer, because it messes the immune system up. That’s enough.

What do you think?
Greetings from Germany,
Lars

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Reactions: Ledzeptt

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Type 1 ruined my life too. My comment wasn't directed at you, but there are many out there who think like that.
Still curse or gift I go with curse I have MG, I do not see what life style changes could have helped avoid T1 diabetes I know there was nothing I could have done differently that would have prevented my MG also an autoimmune disease.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Apropos of nothing I'd love to see 'Terri's' Libre line :) it would be a good indicator of the relationship between stress and higher bloods you'd imagine.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions