1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Teresa May

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by HSSS, Jul 12, 2018.

1. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Well-Known Member

just checked the news on Apple feed and noticed the pm wearing a gown that shows her monitor (Libre?). Good to see prominent people being open. Maybe it’s old news but I didn’t realise she was diabetic . Can’t work out how to add the pic.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Arab Horse

Arab Horse Type 2 · Well-Known Member

She is a T1, has always been up front abput it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

C0B7733D-C8AC-4AD9-BA42-9D5673911B10.jpeg Here it is!

• Like Like x 6
  4. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thanks. Couldn’t work it out.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

You need to shrink the file size to post pics on this forum. I just use the app PicStitch.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Well at least she has got something useful stuck on one of her arms:)

• Funny Funny x 19
    • Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. Mel dCP

Mel dCP Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have the enormous luck to be T1, wear a Libre and a vicar’s daughter. I may have run through an occasional wheat field in my misspent youth, having grown up in rural Somerset. That’s where the similarities end.

• Like Like x 10
    • Funny Funny x 3
  8. Ian_Laye

Ian_Laye Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Why would you say you have the enormous luck to be T1. Surly being diagnosed with T1 or T2 is life changing in a detrimental way.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Hoping4Cure

Hoping4Cure Type 1 · Well-Known Member

You'd be surprised at the amount of self-delusion there is out there that this condition is in any way beneficial. Yay you get to learn the hard way that eating carbs isn't good for you! Wonderful.

I've read such nonsense in several "feel good about your type 1 diabetes" articles and blogs and I find it infuriating and practically criminal.

Reading those articles makes me want to punch a hole through my computer monitor. This disease ruined my childhood and made my adulthood a living nightmare too. Thanks a lot, I feel so privileged. (I must be, of course, since I'm a white male).

Theresa May being the head of a party which actively wants to defund or underfund the NHS should make any sick person, or indeed any moral person, enraged at the sheer hypocrisy. She has a Freestyle Libre, great! What about all the other type 1s who aren't rich and can't afford it. Meanwhile she's making it harder for other type 1s to get it. To say that I hate her is an understatement. I loathe such craven and wanton hypocrites.

I can't get mine here in Canada despite having a script for it, since I work for myself and no insurance company will give me a group plan that covers it, and the basic drug plan doesn't think it's necessary. So I'm left with all the holes in my fingertips and lack of touch sensitivity and nasty surprises if I make a mistake or dare exercise a long time.

• Like Like x 4
    • Hug Hug x 3
    #9 Hoping4Cure, Jul 13, 2018 at 1:17 AM
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  10. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Are you talking about May or Trump or both... :D

• Like Like x 4
  11. DavidGrahamJones

DavidGrahamJones Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Very good! Both require making a small hole in (something) with a sharp point; I trust you know the word I'm thinking of.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

She was initially diagnosed as T2 in 2013 after weight loss, but after meds (metfornin?) didn't help she had further tests and was found to be T1, so presumably LADA?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Master

LOL, brilliant reply, that's a winner, loved it :)

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  14. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Apologies for derailing the thread. I feel enormously fortunate to be diagnosed T1.
    Alcohol, diet, lifestyle and complacency would have caused me far more health issues by now than diabetes has.
    T1 has given me focus and a reason to take control of this one life we are given.

• Like Like x 10
  15. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Master

I thought Mel dCP said that ? :confused:

• Like Like x 2
  16. kev-w

kev-w Type 1 · Well-Known Member

You'd have thought she could afford to put a Blu-con nightrider on that sensor :p but I guess there's nowhere to keep her phone in the frock....

I don't feel fortunate but am aware of the health benefits from the moderate carb intake, healthy diet and exercise I've had for the last 35 years, when I see my mates and acquaintances these days I'm in a lot better shape on the outside at least :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. Alison54321

Alison54321 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I had thought health care in Canada was free, but then I found out here, that you can see the doctor for free, but have to pay for medicines. Which makes Type 1 Diabetes probably one of the worst illnesses to have under a system like that.

Is no progress being made, politically, on this? it seems incredibly unfair.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Mel dCP

Mel dCP Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Sarcasm?

T1 can do one. I hate it, it’s ruined my life.

I also hate being a vicar’s daughter due to the constant bullying I endured every single day of my childhood because if it. My first day at a new primary school? Got pelted with slugs by the other children.

I really, REALLY hate having to wear a device on my arm too, but appreciate it helps me manage the wretched T1.

Hope that clarifies.

• Hug Hug x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    #18 Mel dCP, Jul 13, 2018 at 10:33 AM
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  19. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hope Master Mel puts the bins out though...

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

If we have type one we do not pay for any of our treatment apart from the lottery that is cgm that is! I also have a bus pass because I am partially sighted (diabetes related).
    Life is unfaiir and it is pointless to pretend that we can equalise outcomes for everybody.
    I think some diabetes consultant once said of type one that it is the condition that 'demands most of the patient' and regardless of what I think of Mrs May politically I do admire those of us who do what we do in spite of diabetic challenges.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook