Reactions: Dodo
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Sarcasm?

T1 can do one. I hate it, it’s ruined my life.

I also hate being a vicar’s daughter due to the constant bullying I endured every single day of my childhood because if it. My first day at a new primary school? Got pelted with slugs by the other children.

I really, REALLY hate having to wear a device on my arm too, but appreciate it helps me manage the wretched T1.

Hope that clarifies.

Ahh, sarcasam ! I understand now, it may take me a while to recover and to understand what is going on as I get 'lost' or confused with some replies, no understandy :rolleyes::confused:

enzina

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pain, being dependent, egoistic people & jealousy
Apologies for derailing the thread. I feel enormously fortunate to be diagnosed T1.
Alcohol, diet, lifestyle and complacency would have caused me far more health issues by now than diabetes has.
T1 has given me focus and a reason to take control of this one life we are given.
My 25 year old osteopath is saying the same!

Reactions: therower

Hoping4Cure

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Drug plans in
I had thought health care in Canada was free, but then I found out here, that you can see the doctor for free, but have to pay for medicines. Which makes Type 1 Diabetes probably one of the worst illnesses to have under a system like that.

Is no progress being made, politically, on this? it seems incredibly unfair.

For my basic needs to survive, insulin, test strips and such, the basic provincial plan here in Quebec is not too expensive at all, easily affordable even for those on welfare. But not having a GCM on the list of supported devices is really a shame, since it would actually be cheaper than what test strips cost retail, and provide 24/7 coverage, so actually the taxpayer is paying more to get less. That's what's criminal to me. Also, just think of the peace of mind a parent with a type 1 child would have with a smartphone app that would notify them if the values drop or get too high while their kid is asleep.

Another big problem for me is not having access to GLP-1 as a type 1. I used to be able to get it on my work's private plan, that didn't care if I was type 1 or 2 (Victoza and later, Trulicity), but on provincial they are really sticklers for what drugs you are prescribed and even after trying to get a waiver from my doctor to say "he needs this drug to keep his sugars under control", they didn't listen. So I'm taking Ozempic now until my free pens run out, and will try to get on metformin afterwards which apparently also increases endogenous GLP-1 production by 25%, according to my endo. And metformin is of course ridiculously cheap and should pass the government bean counters as a result.

I also worry that some new miracle smart insulin comes out and it will take years to be able to get it in Canada, and then more years to get it covered on insurance, and it will surely be mega-expensive. But everyone will want it, since it will take out the guesswork of having to check your sugars and then estimate doses.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Just think what she could have done for health with her knowledge of Type 1 (and no doubt Type 2 etc). For me if she had used this knowledge, she could have changed Britain's health. I know the reasons why she would not unleash her advantage for the good of the nation, politics and money should never TRUMP health or the interests of her country - missed opportunity.

Reactions: Prem51 and Dodo

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Apologies for derailing the thread. I feel enormously fortunate to be diagnosed T1.
Alcohol, diet, lifestyle and complacency would have caused me far more health issues by now than diabetes has.
T1 has given me focus and a reason to take control of this one life we are given.
I intermittently feel that way too, I live a fairly virtuous lifestyle, drinking only a little red wine poss g and t. I liked exercise anyway but since diabetes I am now extra motivated! However, some days I feel quite resentful of it - when friends run for longer in training just coz they feel like it - whereas my runs take almost obsessive nutritional planning lol. Things like that are frustrating but yesterday I was downright gutted! My eye screening came back with background retinopathy - I have tried really hard with bg control and this disease just has little ways of slapping you in the face. Thanks to comments on here I understand it may not be the massive big deal I initially thought it was - so thanks forum peeps x

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Bon83 . Fully understand the annoyance of all the planning with being diabetic and just when we think we’ve cracked it up pops a hypo:banghead:.
Lost track of times over the years I’ve been told “ slight background retinopathy “ only to be told 12mths later “all clear”.
Providing we keep good and regular control that’s the best we can do.
It does like to slap us in the face. Next run go a bit faster or longer (you know you can:)) and let your diabetes know that you’re the boss.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Hi Bon83, I was also told I had some signs of retinopathy 3 years ago but have been clear ever since. Was also told that I had the beginnings of a cataract but it hasn't been detectable in the last 2 checks.

Reactions: Bon83

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Bon83, I was also told I had some signs of retinopathy 3 years ago but have been clear ever since. Was also told that I had the beginnings of a cataract but it hasn't been detectable in the last 2 checks.
I'm starting to get the feeling I was due this letter after a good few years or "normal" I have also really tried to get my hba1c under control as well so bit disappointed. I feel better for reading what's on here.

Reactions: Prem51 and Knikki

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Me too! Great turnout, made me proud to be a Londoner! :)
I agree find the man unpleasant, but the protests need to be peaceful and non violent.

And no matter how disagreeable we may find it he is a guest in our country and of our Government. Whom I also find disagreeable.

So keep it dignified is what I say. He'll be gone soon enough.