The 2 types of reactive hypoglycemia are due to the same problem.

yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?
HI

I have concluded with high probability that the 2 forms of reactive hypoglycemia are due to the same autoimmune problem. I assume you know about the standard reactive hypoglycemia. This occurs with people with the “normal” method of processing sugar. I have the “hunter” (“stingy”) gene. I am usually in an insulin resistant state. I leave this state when my body thinks my blood sugar may get too high. I now assume what happens at that juncture is the hormones producing insulin resistant are stopped and if that does not seem to be enough I have the insulin reaction you are very familiar with as it leads to your hypoglycemia. My body then waits for the hormones to clear. That seems to take well over an hour and then I have the “normal” insulin reaction. I get my hypoglycemia at the end of this insulin release if I eat too much sugar and therefore generate a lot of insulin. What is happening with me is I am getting your type insulin release whether I have eaten enough sugar to warrant it or not. Since I am in an insulin resistant state I avoid the worst symptoms of the insulin release but I get lower blood sugar and I get very tired.

I had symptoms in 1957 which are consistent with one type cell in my adrenal glands being destroyed. I now assume the same autoimmune reaction happened to you. This cell seems to be used in starting the hormones which create insulin resistance. The “normal” people without your autoimmune problem only create these hormones when you eat a lot of sugar and generate enough insulin to lead to an overshoot (hypoglycemia). These cells are also involved in starting the insulin release for my type of sugar processing when it seems warranted. I assume that much of the plumbing used in both forms of sugar processing is available whichever method your genetics determine will be used. After all we can interbreed.

lindisfel

Expert
Interesting, I have R.H. and also have a 30mm tumour on my right adrenal and have Conn's syndrome. However RH can be controlled by cutting carbs and blood glucose is maintained by converting fats steadily. There has been a suggestion that we lack the first phase of a biphase insulin response! D.

HI

I have concluded with high probability that the 2 forms of reactive hypoglycemia are due to the same autoimmune problem. I assume you know about the standard reactive hypoglycemia. This occurs with people with the “normal” method of processing sugar. I have the “hunter” (“stingy”) gene. I am usually in an insulin resistant state. I leave this state when my body thinks my blood sugar may get too high. I now assume what happens at that juncture is the hormones producing insulin resistant are stopped and if that does not seem to be enough I have the insulin reaction you are very familiar with as it leads to your hypoglycemia. My body then waits for the hormones to clear. That seems to take well over an hour and then I have the “normal” insulin reaction. I get my hypoglycemia at the end of this insulin release if I eat too much sugar and therefore generate a lot of insulin. What is happening with me is I am getting your type insulin release whether I have eaten enough sugar to warrant it or not. Since I am in an insulin resistant state I avoid the worst symptoms of the insulin release but I get lower blood sugar and I get very tired.

I had symptoms in 1957 which are consistent with one type cell in my adrenal glands being destroyed. I now assume the same autoimmune reaction happened to you. This cell seems to be used in starting the hormones which create insulin resistance. The “normal” people without your autoimmune problem only create these hormones when you eat a lot of sugar and generate enough insulin to lead to an overshoot (hypoglycemia). These cells are also involved in starting the insulin release for my type of sugar processing when it seems warranted. I assume that much of the plumbing used in both forms of sugar processing is available whichever method your genetics determine will be used. After all we can interbreed.
n

Last edited:

yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?
Hi

I know nothing about other problems which lead to hypoglycemia. I am simply a scientist who tried to figure out things when the medical profession failed me. Some people say I am arrogant. They may be right I think I have some mental abilities not tested on most intelligence tests. I can think about a problem for many years and can find explanations that allude a lot of people. I jump to incorrect as well as unusual explanations. Hopefully I filter out the answers that upon reflection are deficient. The jumps are necessary for originality.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Interesting, I have R.H. and also have a 30mm tumour on my right adrenal and have Conn's syndrome. However RH can be controlled by cutting carbs and blood glucose is maintained by converting fats steadily. There has been a suggestion that we lack the first phase of a biphase insulin response! D.

n

Hi Derek, hope to find you ok, despite your on going troubles.
The op has a theory about RH being genetic, instead of an endocrinology condition.
The phases he alludes to are biological chemical digestive triggers that cause RH ers to 'overshoot' insulin.
As we have found out, that no one with RH, can be diagnosed exactly the same, because of our different triggers and choices of how we treat the condition, mainly non starchy carbs.
We might not know the cause hence the idiopathic description many years back, in our case it has to do with triggers, alpha cells, beta cells and glucagon, with glycogen sticking its nose in. The hormonal effect on our digestion is why we stick to low carb to treat.
That's why, it's endocrine rather than genetic!
RH is a dietary condition.
Having weird hormonal response is enough, without having weirdness in our genetic makeup!

Best wishes mate!

lindisfel

Expert
So would you describe yourself as a pragmatist yetta? We on here are pragmatists and can stop our R.H. dead by not eating carbs and reducing insulin demand. No ivory towers for us! Nearly twenty years ago I was very ill with septiceamia in hospital and the doctor was more interested in finding the causal agent rather than giving me IV antibiotics, he delayed until the rash covered my body, he only started them when he found out my daughter (another doctor) was coming from down country to see me. :).

Hi

I know nothing about other problems which lead to hypoglycemia. I am simply a scientist who tried to figure out things when the medical profession failed me. Some people say I am arrogant. They may be right I think I have some mental abilities not tested on most intelligence tests. I can think about a problem for many years and can find explanations that allude a lot of people. I jump to incorrect as well as unusual explanations. Hopefully I filter out the answers that upon reflection are deficient. The jumps are necessary for originality.

Last edited:

lindisfel

Expert
I am fine Nosher hope all is well with you. regards Derek:)
:)
Hi Derek, hope to find you ok, despite your on going troubles.
The op has a theory about RH being genetic, instead of an endocrinology condition.
The phases he alludes to are biological chemical digestive triggers that cause RH ers to 'overshoot' insulin.
As we have found out, that no one with RH, can be diagnosed exactly the same, because of our different triggers and choices of how we treat the condition, mainly non starchy carbs.
We might not know the cause hence the idiopathic description many years back, in our case it has to do with triggers, alpha cells, beta cells and glucagon, with glycogen sticking its nose in. The hormonal effect on our digestion is why we stick to low carb to treat.
That's why, it's endocrine rather than genetic!
RH is a dietary condition.
Having weird hormonal response is enough, without having weirdness in our genetic makeup!

Best wishes mate!
[/QUOTE]

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Derek,
Everything is great mate!
I am fine Nosher hope all is well with you. regards Derek:)
:)
[/QUOTE]

I'm enjoying my life, getting on with my work and my footie!

Never felt so good, endocrinologist appointment next week, I have a load of questions for him and a report of how I'm coping with my lifestyle.
It will be if nothing interesting!
Will do a full update as usual and probably a blog on my visit!
All the best, mate.
Nosher.

Reactions: lindisfel

yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?
Hi

I have reread my original post and think I may not be clear. Here is an explanation. If I eat a lot of sugar/starch I have my (normal?) turn off the hormones and produce enough insulin to stop my blood sugar from going dangerously high. In that case my body then waits for the hormones to clear and turns on enough insulin to mop up most of the sugar in my blood. My autoimmune problem (like the other type) is that when this happens I overshoot and get hypoglycemia. If the amount of sugar/starch I eat does not require any (or maybe very little) insulin to prevent to high blood sugar I should just turn off the hormones and wait but instead I immediately head to low sugar (2 readings when I felt bad were 60). Since I am still somewhat insulin resistant I find out why my body should wait. I release so much insulin that I get very tired and possibly this is why I got high blood pressure.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi

I have reread my original post and think I may not be clear. Here is an explanation. If I eat a lot of sugar/starch I have my (normal?) turn off the hormones and produce enough insulin to stop my blood sugar from going dangerously high. In that case my body then waits for the hormones to clear and turns on enough insulin to mop up most of the sugar in my blood. My autoimmune problem (like the other type) is that when this happens I overshoot and get hypoglycemia. If the amount of sugar/starch I eat does not require any (or maybe very little) insulin to prevent to high blood sugar I should just turn off the hormones and wait but instead I immediately head to low sugar (2 readings when I felt bad were 60). Since I am still somewhat insulin resistant I find out why my body should wait. I release so much insulin that I get very tired and possibly this is why I got high blood pressure.

Due to all my tests and my fasting and taking readings to so many different food combinations, I believe that the hormone imbalances that we both have, influence our blood glucose (sugar) readings.
The overshoot only happens when we eat any carbs or sugars. So the best way to treat it is to not have the carbs and sugar, that creates the excess insulin, it is this excess insulin overshoot that creates the symptoms that go with hyperinsulinaemia, hyperglycaemia and hypoglycaemia.
So if logic dictates, then no carbs or sugars, then no hyper, which in turn has no effect on your blood glucose levels, so no overshoot, no hypo. The hyperinsulinaemia gradually dissipates and so does the insulin resistance.
I believe that fasting and staying strictly to a very low carb diet has helped so much.
I haven't had a hypo in over two years. The symptoms have gone.
I believe that my good health is all down to staying away from those foods that 'react' with my blood glucose levels.
We are not normal!
We have weird hormonal imbalance and intolerance to many foods.
If you have a peanut allergy, would you eat one?
If we have a carb intolerance, why eat carbs?

yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?
Due to all my tests and my fasting and taking readings to so many different food combinations, I believe that the hormone imbalances that we both have, influence our blood glucose (sugar) readings.
The overshoot only happens when we eat any carbs or sugars. So the best way to treat it is to not have the carbs and sugar, that creates the excess insulin, it is this excess insulin overshoot that creates the symptoms that go with hyperinsulinaemia, hyperglycaemia and hypoglycaemia.
So if logic dictates, then no carbs or sugars, then no hyper, which in turn has no effect on your blood glucose levels, so no overshoot, no hypo. The hyperinsulinaemia gradually dissipates and so does the insulin resistance.
I believe that fasting and staying strictly to a very low carb diet has helped so much.
I haven't had a hypo in over two years. The symptoms have gone.
I believe that my good health is all down to staying away from those foods that 'react' with my blood glucose levels.
We are not normal!
We have weird hormonal imbalance and intolerance to many foods.
If you have a peanut allergy, would you eat one?
If we have a carb intolerance, why eat carbs?
Hi

I have a theory about why with a lot of sugar/starch I get hypoglycemia about 3+ hours later and why with smaller amounts of sugar/starch I get tired about 1+ hours later. If you read my posts with my genetics ("hunter" gene) I am simulation a type 2 diabetic on a very low sugar/starch diet. One of my conclusions is that probably all type 2 diabetics can control their blood sugar with diet. With type 1 diabetics it also works but you need insulin to properly digest protein and without insulin they will get into trouble (anecdotal after years). As some people play with devices I think about theories. That is just what I do. If you have the standard reactive hypoglycemia then the fact that you can control it with diet would be very interesting. It is obvious that if I keep my blood sugar below some unknown (looks like 170) value my body is in insulin intolerance mode and I will not have an insulin reaction. My theory is that you have my plumbing but should nerver use it. I had (in retrospect) an autoimmune reaction in 1957. My guess has been that it effected my processing of sugar to get the reactive hypoglycemia we experience. I have guessed that you have the same type cell in your adrenal glands distroyed and it has the same effect if your blood sugar goes above some value (may be different for different people). If you have the "normal" method of processing sugar then your blood sugar should remain very low if you eat our diet. With me insulin does not lower my blood sugar generally but the brain uses up the sugar. I only stop the hormones which make me insulin resistant if my blood sugar goes above a value and then I can have the insulin response you have. The difference is I am still somewhat insulin resistant and the effect is my body struggles to lower my blood sugar. (Make a lot of insulin?) and I get very tired.

Last edited:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My particular reason for my RH is not my adrenal gland but I theorize because of what my meds do, is the process of glucogenesis, the chemical composition of what happens is the trigger to produce and overshoot insulin. But have not had this theory proven.
As, I have said before, I do not have any health problems but my overproduction of insulin, everything now, checks clear, I have really good health and this is down to my very low carb diet.
I agree with you about the lack of glucose and having symptoms of tiredness. Mental function can be impaired with the excess insulin.
I think this why you are still looking for answers, your frustration at trying to get the right balance to live and feel well, has you in a quandary.
Unfortunately, I can only go on my experience and if you can only rid yourself of the insulin resistance, I'm sure, you will feel much better. The only way I know to do this is either going very, very, very low carb or fasting. If you can fast, the body has a default setting to long periods without food and insulin is not overproduced and the imbalance in insulin/glucose in your blood, corrects itself.
My fasting has indeed made me more clear minded and increased my energy levels.
The difference in my head after my hospital fasting test, to see if I had pancreatitis or pancreatic cancer was remarkable, I found myself again.
The weirdness of of our condition means we have to sometimes do weird things to be as healthy as we can be or our body allows us to.
In all the time I have been with this before and after diagnosis, I have never stopped trying to find ways of dealing with it. The success I have had, is down to trying and experience and experimenting and getting rid out of diet, the foods that lead to my bloods rising so sharply that lot hyperglycaemia and then Hypoglycaemia.

Best wishes on your journey

yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?
@yetta2mymom Without insulin Type 1s would die. Before the discovery of insulin every single Type 1 died.
Hi

One of the monitors on this site emails that she controlled type 1 diabetes with diet (my very low sugar/starch diet) for years until she got into trouble because she wasn't digesting protein completely (didn't explain symptoms) after several years and now is on the needle. A teenager type 1 diabetic is now being controlled similarly (don't know what they are doing about protein digestion). The action of my gene says that if you control the sugar/starch good enough your blood sugar will not rise to the danger zone as your bodily functions (especially the brain) use up enough sugar. I do not know if it was the protein problem or just didn't use a good enough diet which did in people before insulin was used.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi

One of the monitors on this site emails that she controlled type 1 diabetes with diet (my very low sugar/starch diet) for years until she got into trouble because she wasn't digesting protein completely (didn't explain symptoms) after several years and now is on the needle. A teenager type 1 diabetic is now being controlled similarly (don't know what they are doing about protein digestion). The action of my gene says that if you control the sugar/starch good enough your blood sugar will not rise to the danger zone as your bodily functions (especially the brain) use up enough sugar. I do not know if it was the protein problem or just didn't use a good enough diet which did in people before insulin was used.

That was someone with LADA. She then went I to DKA and was close to death before starting insulin.

As you've already been told, Type 1 comes on more slowly in adults than in children - but without insulin they will still die eventually.

Why not just go back and read your previous threads? You've already been told this. A change in diet can DELAY the need for insulin but it cannot remove it.

Every single person with Type 1 DIED before the discovery of insulin. Some died in weeks, some struggled in for two or so years but every single person died.

You're entitled to your own opinion, but you're not entitled to your own facts.

yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?
That was someone with LADA. She then went I to DKA and was close to death before starting insulin.

As you've already been told, Type 1 comes on more slowly in adults than in children - but without insulin they will still die eventually.

Why not just go back and read your previous threads? You've already been told this. A change in diet can DELAY the need for insulin but it cannot remove it.

Every single person with Type 1 DIED before the discovery of insulin. Some died in weeks, some struggled in for two or so years but every single person died.

You're entitled to your own opinion, but you're not entitled to your own facts.
Hi

We are posting at cross purposes. As I posted without insulin you may prevent your blood sugar from rising too high but that is not enough. You need insulin to properly digest protein. A type 1 diabetic reported on this site is being controled with diet. I do not know the details but they posted a picture of the boy. I do not know what the improvement is such that the monitor and the new case are/was able to have no discernable problem for several years but I have no reason to doubt her or the other investigators.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@yetta2mymom We've discussed this before on your earlier thread! Yes, a child delayed the introduction of insulin but then needed insulin.

Before insulin was discovered, Type 1s were given things like black coffee and boiled cabbage - that is, practically zero carbs and no protein. Their BS still went up gradually and they became more and more ill and DIED. Type 1 was a terminal illness before the discovery of insulin. It is NOTHING to do with 'eating the wrong diet'.

The BS will go up even without any food.

yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?
@yetta2mymom We've discussed this before on your earlier thread! Yes, a child delayed the introduction of insulin but then needed insulin.

Before insulin was discovered, Type 1s were given things like black coffee and boiled cabbage - that is, practically zero carbs and no protein. Their BS still went up gradually and they became more and more ill and DIED. Type 1 was a terminal illness before the discovery of insulin. It is NOTHING to do with 'eating the wrong diet'.

The BS will go up even without any food.
Hi

I will look to see if you are right. If so I will have to figure out how that is possible. I note that type 2 diabetes is controllable by diet. Did the moderator lie or was the symptom you discribed what happened?

Neil

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi

I will look to see if you are right. If so I will have to figure out how that is possible. I note that type 2 diabetes is controllable by diet. Did the moderator lie or was the symptom you discribed what happened?

Neil

Please, Neil - do have a read of all the posts on your previous threads. You're going back to ideas you had before that were corrected. You can't control Type 1 with diet, only slow it down possibly - I and other members have explained this. Without insulin, it's not possible to survive even if you were to eat nothing. Obviously you would die of starvation first if you tried that, but the point is Type 1 is terminal without insulin.

I also highly recommend you do far more reading about Type 1 and, indeed, diabetes in general.

Best wishes,

Azure

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

All I know is if I stopped my insulin? I could just live on water for a while.. The need for water intake would increase.. Then. Death....

From your initial post? Looks to me like your pancreas is slow to react to what you have digested. Then goes over the top with the task in hand...

Sound familiar?? ;)

image.jpeg

Reactions: azure and Lamont D