1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

The 8 week blood sugar diet

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by mallins, Jan 28, 2016.

1. captainlynne

captainlynne · Well-Known Member

Thanks Jamrox. I stayed in the 800 calories, following the guidelines in the book. Tried a few recipes, but often prefer to do my own thing. Found strong flavours helped.

After a lifetime of being on diets (over 50 years) I didn't get too disheartened when the weight loss stalled for a while. The initial loss was so quick my poor old body needed to regroup. Just had to put my trust in the plan. As a slimming club leader once said to me 'the plan works if you work the plan'. But the weight started to move again.
    Same with inches!

It was interesting to see that after a long run of low bloods, there were a few higher ones - a phenomenon many have reported. Not too high, but higher than they had been - between 6 & 7 fasting when they had been between 5 & 6. Prior to this I'd struggled to get fasting readings under 7.

Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. chinta

chinta Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I've been doing this diet for 13 days now and have found it very easy to stick to 800 calories of normal food - not following his food plans, just counting my own calories. I am a serial diet failer, just putting more and more weight on over the last 25 years but I have lost 7lbs in 2 weeks which is amazing for me. I had lost 10lbs on the LCHF plan since November so this has just given it a kick. My blood sugar has come down into single figures since I started this and I have so much more energy. I'm becoming very evangelical about it, I can't believe myself. As someone else said, the only downside is that I didn't discover it 15 years ago!!! I had wanted to lose 5 stones when I was diagnosed back in November but thought that I would be really pleased with myself if I lost 3. Now I'm thinking that perhaps I could lose 8 stones and get down to where I was when I got married (29 years ago).

• Like Like x 10
  3. Jamrox

Jamrox Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@captainlynne thanks. I like to do my own thing too . I use myfitnesspal app to track . I divide the 800 150 breakfast , 150 lunch , 400 dinner and 100 spare .
    Some days I've gone over a bit , some a bit under . Only been hungry a couple of times and found coffee helps .

• Like Like x 4
  4. DavidGrahamJones

DavidGrahamJones Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Well done everyone, excellent results. What sort of regime do people expect to follow at the end of the 8 weeks? When I lowered my carbs to less than 100 gms a day, my calories also dropped (obviously) to less than 900 (LC NOT LCHF). I successfully lost over 4 stone but have been on an even keel for some time. Dieters call it a plateau which sort of suggests that further weight loss will resume later and certainly with a lot of dieters I have known (ex member of Tesco Diets online community) it lasts between 6 and 8 weeks.
    In my case that isn't so and if I were to use the Harris Benedict formula to calculate how many calories to consume (still low carb) I would gain weight.

One of the many TV programs that went into weight loss (not to be confused with controlling BG) showed that eating more of your calories in the morning and therefore less in the evening, had an effect on weight loss. I only have some anecdotal stories which agrees with that. When my mum went into her care home, t e weight dropped off her and we were worried that she wasn't eating. We couldn't have been further from the truth, her care home was very thorough and everything she ate and drank was carefully noted and I was there on several occasions at meal times. She would have cereal AND a full english for breakfast and a meat and 2 veg plus pudding for lunch tea was a salad or eggs on toast of a sandwich, so eating better than any time in her life really. Most of the calories in the morning and lunch, just a snack for tea.

Ive tried it and it's not easy when one's partner has to follow a more conventional routine imposed by having to work for a living.

• Like Like x 4
  5. muzza3

muzza3 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi DavidGrahamJones
    I'm just about there in my last week of the ND. I have been very concerned about "the plan" when coming off the diet and have received some great feed back from the Forums. From that I would summarise
    • I must have a specific plan to follow in place
    • I must monitor as much if not more than during the ND both BG and Weight
    • Have a back up plan if results are unsatisfactory
    So as I used 3 x shakes and vegetables as my diet I will remove one shake each fortnight and replace with a meal starting with dinner increasing from 800 cals to 1000cals to 1400 cals to 1800 cals over 6 weeks. I will monitor and if BG or Weight are not satisfactory I will adjust before moving onto the next fortnight increase

You make a really good point that is quite logical that perhaps breakfast should be the first meal to increase (that has now become a possibility if I need to change)
    Thanks

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. mallins

mallins · Well-Known Member

Hi All just a quick update. I'm about to start week 4 of the diet so far I have lost 8lb despite blowing it yesterday on going out for a meal and having chocs and wine! Anyway today I'm feeling pretty chuffed as I have just bought two new pairs of trousers from M&S and I can now get into a size 14 which I haven't been able to do for at least 20years!! I have lost 2 inches from my waist with this diet so that has given me an incentive to get back in the gym if I can muster up the energy. Hey ho onwards and upwards!

My sugar levels have been down in the 5s at night and 6.3 first thing in the morning which is a great improvement as before going on the diet my sugars in the morning were between 7 and 8 first thing and my GP said I had to have another metformin tablet at night. Anyway I'm pleased to say I've stopped the evening metformin myself and I'm back down to one tablet in he morning as my bloods seem to be improving.

Look forward to hearing how you are all doing.

Cheers

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. mallins

Wow well done you!

• Like Like x 2
  8. mallins

Hi I'm doing proper meals but I was thinking of trying the meal replacement shakes to see if it will speed up the weight loss.

• Like Like x 4
  9. mallins

That's fantastic!

10. DavidGrahamJones

DavidGrahamJones Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Should anybody be interested, if you look up the Harris Benedict formula, you should be able to check how many calories you should be eating to maintain a particular weight. I have an issue with this particular formula in that it's 100 years old and I would say that our diets have changed significantly over that time. It takes in account gender, age, height and activity level so, it's as good a place as any to start. I've looked at several other formulas used by the diet industry (WW, Rosemary Connolly, etc etc.) and they're all very similar.

What I've done is created a spread sheet so that as you lose weight you can decrease the number of calories or when you reach your target, what you should take your calorie intake down to. Obviously going back to your old ways will just make your weight go back up.

[​IMG]

This spreadsheet was created using Open Office Spreadsheet and gives you a good idea not only by how many calories to reduce intake as you lose, but by how many you can increase depending on exercise level. Personally I have never allowed myself extra because I'm exercising a lot and there is no way I could eat as much as the formula would suggest. I'm actually 120 - 125 kgs (it goes up and down like a yo yo on a daily basis), so 19 st or so, and there is no way even with moderate exercise I could eat as much as the 2600 calories suggested.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  11. muzza3

muzza3 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi Mallin
    I mainly went about it with the Shakes and Veges as convenience as I needed a model that wasn't time consuming and food preparation is certainly not one of my strengths. Also I was using the ND rather than the 8 week as my main source (they used the shakes as they needed consistency across all of the participants for the results to be reliable).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. mallins

thanks. I thought I'd just replace a couple of meals and have a low cal proper meal at night

• Like Like x 2
  13. mallins

thanks for that.

• Like Like x 4
  14. MikeV

MikeV Type 2 · Member

I'm a week into the Blood Sugar Diet. I'm up early this morning for a doctor's appointment and have just checked my fasting blood sugar. Last Wednesday it was 8.3mmol/L. This morning it's 6.3mmol/L. If my bathroom scales aren't lying, I've lost 3kg (6.6 pounds!). No change in my waist measurement but my belt doesn't seem quite as tight :)

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 3
  15. Lorraine deer

Lorraine deer Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Day13, bs range between 4 and 8. I've lost 10lbs and reduced my insulin by 6 units in the morning and 4 units in the evening. Hopefully the weight loss will speed up again as the first week was a drop of 8 lbs and only 2 lbs this week . Good luck everyone

• Like Like x 3
  16. Jamrox

@EdMac I hope you're ok .
    Good luck with the 5:2 I've heard a lot of good things about it from real people who I trust .

• Like Like x 5
  17. Jamrox

That's more than me . I've stuck at 2lb in total . I'm averaging 800 some days 50 calories either way . Friday teas are my downfall , I love them though .

Updated after posted:
    Weighed myself and have now lost 5lb in total.

• Like Like x 2
    #97 Jamrox, Feb 20, 2016 at 9:21 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2016
  18. Chook

Chook Type 2 · Expert

@EdMac Will you be doing the Michael Mosley Fast Diet 5:2 plan? I've done it since the end of last July and it worked great for 5 months but since Christmas I've stayed at the same weight and my BG was going up a little which is why I've moved on to this 8 week blood sugar diet to speed things along a bit.

5:2 works very well with a low carb diet the rest of the time. I used to fast on non-work days until dinner time then have a 500-600 calorie dinner.

• Like Like x 4
  19. mallins

Hi
    I'm on week 4.
    Like you my weight loss has definitely slowed up which I'm finding hard going to be motivated. My blood sugars have definitely improved so that is a plus. I thought I'd try some of the shakes for meal replacement but I think I've made a big mistake as on checking more closely they are pretty high in sugar. On the days I replaced a couple of meals I found my blood sugars were up! I'm going away for the weekend and I just know it's going to be impossible to keep to the 800 calories. If I fall off the wagon do I have to start the 8 weeks all over again from day one?

Cheers

Mallins

• Like Like x 2
  20. AndBreathe

AndBreathe I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Mallins, I haven't read the book, so can't say what it will say, but I imagine, as this diet closely mimics the Newcastle Diet, but with proper food (as opposed to meal replacement shakes) that the time frame is more designed to encourage dieters to give it a proper go, rather than be a bit more willy-nilly. It's also easier to report consistent results, from person to person, if everyone has done the same thing, for the same amount of time. When the Newcastle Diet was devised, it was for a trial, so definitely had to have such parameters, but Professor Taylor, who developed it, has confirmed many times, to many people that the time span is not really too important.

Some people, like a chap called Richard Doughty (a journo - his story is on Google) only followed the diet for a couple of weeks, yet others, like @Andrew Colvin , and others I can think of, have stayed on it longer. I think Andrew stayed on it considerably longer.

So, I think what I'm saying is the idea of the Diet is to give you a framework to work with and a varied diet., rather than it claiming to be a silver bullet solution that must be followed to the letter or it will fail. Nor of course, I bet, does it say anywhere it will work for everyone.

I wish you well in your undertakings and hope you achieve what you seek.

• Like Like x 6
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook