The day went pear shaped ….

JayBee28

Please can you help. I’m 4 weeks in on my journey with Type 2, HBA1C 51. Very very low carb diet, no meds.

This morning I was chuffed as my reading was 5.8, the lowest so far in the mornings. It’s been anything from 7-11, I’ve read about the Dawn Phenomenon.

I had to go in the office for 8am so i had Strawberries, yoghurt and a few walnuts for breakfast at 9am. By 10.30am I felt absolutely starving and a little light headed (first time I have felt like this). I had half a glucose tablet and a cup of tea with half a teaspoon of sugar (I don’t have sugar now in tea, and it tasted so weird) After about 15 minutes or so I felt a lot better, my reading was 7.7

For lunch I had salad and smoked salmon (lettuce, spinach leaves, tomatoes, fennel, cucumber and celery) and a few nuts. I felt absolutely fine for the rest of the day.

I did my BG before dinner 6.1 had 3 egg omelette with mushrooms and cheese with cup of tea no sugar. 2 hours later, my reading was 10. I was really shocked it had gone up so high. I know I’m only four weeks in and doing really well on low carbs, it’s the first day where I’ve had no protein for breakfast such as egg or sausage with a high meat content. I’m wondering if this caused the wobble as I’m finding more protein fills me up.

Any advice or comments most welcome.

Thank you,

Janet

boggle

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Perhaps the reading was false? You could always wash hands and test again.

Protein can spike blood glucose due to a process caused gluconeogenesis, it can have around 20/30% of the effect of carbs. Although it looks like you had some fats, so I doubt it was this.

Sometimes high activity levels can raise blood sugar.

I suspect the sugar you had with the glucose tablet probably continued to rise your blood sugar for longer than the 15 minutes after your test. Sugar aka Sucrose (glucose + fructose) has a lower gi than pure glucose. Fructose can only be processed by the liver.

Last edited:

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
I felt absolutely starving and a little light headed (first time I have felt like this).
It would have been really interesting to do a blood test then. People who are used to running higher levels can get false hypos when their bgs are still over 4mmol/, though it doesn't sound you exactly massively overdid the carb treatment (5g???).

JayBee28

It would have been really interesting to do a blood test then. People who are used to running higher levels can get false hypos when their bgs are still over 4mmol/, though it doesn't sound you exactly massively overdid the carb treatment (5g???).
It sounds entirely plausible that it was a false hypo if your body is used to running around 11. It must be one hell of a shock to the system. By BG this morning is 4.4. I think my body just needs to settle into the new routine, I think it’s in a state of What The Hell his happening!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please can you help. I’m 4 weeks in on my journey with Type 2, HBA1C 51. Very very low carb diet, no meds.

This morning I was chuffed as my reading was 5.8, the lowest so far in the mornings. It’s been anything from 7-11, I’ve read about the Dawn Phenomenon.

I had to go in the office for 8am so i had Strawberries, yoghurt and a few walnuts for breakfast at 9am. By 10.30am I felt absolutely starving and a little light headed (first time I have felt like this). I had half a glucose tablet and a cup of tea with half a teaspoon of sugar (I don’t have sugar now in tea, and it tasted so weird) After about 15 minutes or so I felt a lot better, my reading was 7.7

For lunch I had salad and smoked salmon (lettuce, spinach leaves, tomatoes, fennel, cucumber and celery) and a few nuts. I felt absolutely fine for the rest of the day.

I did my BG before dinner 6.1 had 3 egg omelette with mushrooms and cheese with cup of tea no sugar. 2 hours later, my reading was 10. I was really shocked it had gone up so high. I know I’m only four weeks in and doing really well on low carbs, it’s the first day where I’ve had no protein for breakfast such as egg or sausage with a high meat content. I’m wondering if this caused the wobble as I’m finding more protein fills me up.

Any advice or comments most welcome.

Thank you,

Janet
Since you already likely know what happened (over-treating a false hypo, which is a completely understandable thing to do because it does feel absolutely like a real one... But now you know not to!), I just wanted to say you're doing really well. You made some pretty big changes and you're certainly feeling the difference, besides seeing it on your meter. Well done, and hang in there! It does get better!
Jo

PS: If a false hypo freaks you out again, have some protein/fats rather than carbs. They'll tide you over until you feel a bit better.

JayBee28

Since you already likely know what happened (over-treating a false hypo, which is a completely understandable thing to do because it does feel absolutely like a real one... But now you know not to!), I just wanted to say you're doing really well. You made some pretty big changes and you're certainly feeling the difference, besides seeing it on your meter. Well done, and hang in there! It does get better!
Jo

PS: If a false hypo freaks you out again, have some protein/fats rather than carbs. They'll tide you over until you feel a bit better.
Great information, thank you so much.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
When you feel hungry have something low carb and nutritious, some nuts, cheese, a boiled egg, a low carb protein bar. Glucose tablet and sugar in your tea is just about the worse choice you can make. The sugar will prompt your pancreas to release insulin, you are insulin resistant (T2) so your insulin is rubbish at its main job of taking that sugar and using it as energy to fuel your body. However it has absolutely no trouble with its secondary job of fat storage. The only reason anyone with diabetes needs to carry glucose tablets is if they are taking medication that can force glucose levels dangerously low.
The high reading you had after a lovely low carb dinner is more of a mystery. Did you give your hands a wash and retest, it could have been something on your fingers or even a faulty testing strip, always worth retesting when you get a reading you can't explain. Another thing to consider is what did you do in the 2 hours after dinner, it is not just food that can raise sugar levels. Stress of any kind, emotional or physical can result in higher levels, just watching my team play like Muppets can make my levels rocket. Sometimes though if you can't explain a particular reading, just shrug your shoulders and carry on

JayBee28

When you feel hungry have something low carb and nutritious, some nuts, cheese, a boiled egg, a low carb protein bar. Glucose tablet and sugar in your tea is just about the worse choice you can make. The sugar will prompt your pancreas to release insulin, you are insulin resistant (T2) so your insulin is rubbish at its main job of taking that sugar and using it as energy to fuel your body. However it has absolutely no trouble with its secondary job of fat storage. The only reason anyone with diabetes needs to carry glucose tablets is if they are taking medication that can force glucose levels dangerously low.
The high reading you had after a lovely low carb dinner is more of a mystery. Did you give your hands a wash and retest, it could have been something on your fingers or even a faulty testing strip, always worth retesting when you get a reading you can't explain. Another thing to consider is what did you do in the 2 hours after dinner, it is not just food that can raise sugar levels. Stress of any kind, emotional or physical can result in higher levels, just watching my team play like Muppets can make my levels rocket. Sometimes though if you can't explain a particular reading, just shrug your shoulders and carry on
Thanks for the advice, I didn’t re-test I should’ve done really. After dinner, I called my sister and watched tv, a relaxing evening. This morning it was 4.4 then 2 hours later after breakfast 7.7 so I am happy with that. I am stressed as I’ve just got a promotion at work and sleeping awful due to menopause. However, I have so much to learn, its so new to me. It’s a marathon I guess not a sprint. Thank you for the advice.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
To be honest, I think your overall numbers are going quite well, and one anomalous result might not add up to much. I think if you just keep doing what your doing, but miss the glucose tabs and sugar next time, you should be on the right track.

JayBee28

To be honest, I think your overall numbers are going quite well, and one anomalous result might not add up to much. I think if you just keep doing what your doing, but miss the glucose tabs and sugar next time, you should be on the right track.
Thank you

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Being stressed and not sleeping well can raise the levels of stress hormones which in turn will cause blood glucose levels to rise.

Reactions: JayBee28

magsmch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
drama
I am also newly diagnosed and its through the advice given on here that I am learning more about how to manage my diabetes and diet. People have been very helpful.

JayBee28

I am also newly diagnosed and its through the advice given on here that I am learning more about how to manage my diabetes and diet. People have been very helpful.
I’ve learned so much more on here, it is brilliant. Good luck with your journey.