The Diet Delusion --- Food for Thought ?

sixfoot

I have just got a copy of this book, Motive - because being sceptical of " the system" i wanted something to explain things.

It does explain but heavy going for a layman. i am in the chapter " THE CARBOHYDRATE HYPOTHESIS ", which is really the bit that concerns most of those on this site and it is beginning to make sense.

Quite simply i wondered if anyone else has read or reviewed it and what their thought opinions were ?

Dave P

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Dave,

Yeah, I've read it (the US version which is called Good Calories, Bad Calories).
I think it's an amazing piece of work to be honest. The sheer volume of research Taubes has done beggars belief. I think it took him something like 7 years to do it. But somehow, he's knitted it all together so that it almost reads like a detective novel in places.
Maybe his strength is that he's a journalist, not a medic. He's been able to take the subject without any preconceptions of the sort that seem to hinder health professionals from looking objectively at the evidence.
So it's a maximum 12 points from the Edinburgh jury.

All the best,

fergus

sixfoot

Thanks Fergus, a coincidence but i see there is a new thread on Discussions about ineffective Insulin for T1. i dont and cant claim any expertise on the subject but with what im reading at the moment a little bell is ringing !!! It wasnt before.

Happy fathers day everyone

Dave P :D

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
hi sixfoot,
Only just started to read my copy, so can't really judge yet.
The "in your face" statements on the back cover certainly got my attention.
The book is well written and definitely well researched.

Regards,
timo.

sixfoot

Timo2 , well im still ploughing through it. It has to be said that the best part of a chapter at the back of references and sources does seem pretty impressive. In a nutshell what he says works for me.

Happy reading
Dave P