The Hidden Killer. Type 2 Diabetes.

• Thread starter catherinecherub
  • Start Date

HappyasLarry

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I feel a lot better after reading the posts here - I was really depressed after watching this programme. I have had a lot of trouble controlling my blood sugars for a few years now. I went on to insulin in May but does not seem to be making a great deal of difference. After watching I felt like it was just a downward spiral and that I would end up with complications and early death. I am very interested in the LCHF diet and you have all given my inspiration to change my diet, which although relatively healthy has been too high in carbs. I imagine the diet is not easy especially as I love carbs but I am going to do it. You have given me hope - Thanks all
Like you, I love carbs - potatoes, bread, rice and pasta were ALL my favourite food. But they are like a drug to me when I eat them - the more I eat, the more I crave them, and feel so hungry. The wonderful thing about lchf for me, is that without carbs, or with only a very very small amount, I eat so much less, my appetite is stable, I never feel starving, and the cravings have gone. It is a lot easier than I thought it would be,

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
He was just a fat greedy pig i see them at every diabetic clinic sat in there wheel chairs with fluffy padding around there feet and grey pasty looking complexions sat there in despair.If you had an illness and where told to take a drug to cure it you would take the drug.So what is so hard about having to diet to treat the diabetis the trouble with these diabetics is when they are first told to diet etc they think the consultant is talking **** and knows nothing and that they know better well time will tell who knows best, so just carry on eating all your childrens chocolate bars and gorging the food down your throat but at the end of the day it will destroy and kill you in a horrible way ........View attachment 20595

'Just a fat greedy pig'? No, I don't agree with you. First of all, I don't like the use of 'just'. Second of all, I don't like 'fat', 'greedy' or 'pig'.
You ask, 'What is so hard about having to diet?' I expect you realise that a high carb diet is addictive? Like cigarettes and alcohol and other drugs? Carb-addiction, however, falls below the radar in doctors' surgeries. Many people, including doctors, believe, wrongly, that it's a case of, 'Pull yourself together, eat low-fat, and run around the block.' Many people have tried this, and it doesn't work.
I was worried to see the snacks available for the children, and the tacit implication that sugary snacks are ok as long as you're young and not fat.
Also I resented the crass treatment of this issue by Panorama. I turned off as soon as I could see that it was going to be an ignorant 'analysis' of a serious issue faced by many people.
I'm very grateful that this forum takes the metabolic syndrome seriously. I agree with @tim2000s that we have a responsibility to shout louder about this, because very few people are: - even many doctors and HCPs are behind the curve.

Reactions: ziggy_w

hornplayer

He was just a fat greedy pig i see them at every diabetic clinic sat in there wheel chairs with fluffy padding around there feet and grey pasty looking complexions sat there in despair.If you had an illness and where told to take a drug to cure it you would take the drug.So what is so hard about having to diet to treat the diabetis the trouble with these diabetics is when they are first told to diet etc they think the consultant is talking **** and knows nothing and that they know better well time will tell who knows best, so just carry on eating all your childrens chocolate bars and gorging the food down your throat but at the end of the day it will destroy and kill you in a horrible way ........View attachment 20595

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
As far as I am concerned, I totally agree that type 2 diabetes is a hidden killer. Not type 1. I never talk about type 1 diabetes because It is a very different disease.

Regarding diet, although I have been having HCLF since my diagnosis 25 years and 2 months ago and having excellent success with it, I will never never dare to contradict what other type 2s eat. I very well know that we diabetics are very different from each other.

I think that HCLF diet works well for me because I eat only twice a day, and I run the stairs 4x/day, a total time of 1 hour. Most of my past A1c's were between 5.2% and 6.3%, the last 2 being 5.8%. I have never had hypo problems and diabetes complications. My first blood sugar reading which was the basis of my diagnosis was 468 mg/dl. I have never taken any anti-diabetes pills and insulin. My diabetes control method has always HCLF meals and 1 hour daily stair-running.

The food I eat must be as much as possible heart-healthy, natural, fresh (raw or cooked), unprocessed, and whole.
Strictly no soft and hard drinks and no snacks. Only water between meals.

Bonny Damocles
Male 80 1/2 years old, 138 lbs, 5'7"
I am not on any pharma drugs for any health problem
As of October 3, 2016: A1c - 5.8%; total cholesterol - 179, HDL - 61; BP - 137/81; Heart Beat 65.

Sorry, but I have to say that you are wrong, type 1 can be a hidden killer, children have died from being undiagnosed/misdiagnosed, my little granddaughter nearly died and was on a breathing, machine fighting for her life, it can kill adolescents and adults too.
(Not trying to derail the thread in any way with a type 1 comment) :)

Reactions: azure

primmers

Really fed up. My whole life I followed healthy eating advice, complex carbs, lots of veg, low fat and regular exercise. Result - I was always slightly overweight and developed Type 2 diabetes at the age of 47. My weight is a symptom of my body's inability to metabolise carbs, the self same carbs the government were advising me to eat. Turns out that actually I'm not the responsible citizen I thought but a selfish drain on the NHS. And nothing can persuade folk otherwise

hornplayer

It's a similar story for so many of us. We've eaten "healthily". All the things which were s'posed to be good for us. Many, but by no means all of us have fought a continuous battle to keep our weight down, having no idea that the fat free, whole grain etc foods we've been eating have actually made the problem worse. And now, again, we are being demonised by the media. Made to feel ashamed because, of course we must all be fat, stupid and lazy. - We must be. The BBC has said so.
Well, I for one now feel too worthless to live. What's the point? Thanks BBC.

Reactions: ziggy_w and Prem51

primmers

Careful now, they'll just do a documentary on how type 2 diabetics are demanding psychological interventions to help us manage the side effects of demonisation...

prancer53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Professionals who know little about diabetes who generalise!!
My DSN told me that type 2 diabetes is far worse than type 1 & that the only thing that worked for type 2 s was bariatric surgery. She then asked me whether I wanted an HBAC1 or a morning blood test next visit--I am type 1 so a) do I really want to know that her personal opinion is that 2 is worse than 1 b) do I need to know about surgery for type 2 s c) a morning blood test without food or insulin is a complete and utter waste of time for type 1. This DSN has left the surgery now but I dread to imagine who will replace her. The GP knows next to nothing about diabetes and talks to me as though I am type 2 (I am 63 and have had type 1 for 55 years--no complications). Thank God I do not have to depend on my surgery for anything but prescriptions (which they often get wrong)!!!!

prancer53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Professionals who know little about diabetes who generalise!!
GP seems to confuse advanced years with type 2....by the way my surgery has failed their CQC inspection which means that if they don;t improve in 6 months they will be closed down (a bit like OFSTED)!

Reactions: hankjam

Peter Maher

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
There is a programme on BBC1 on Monday 3rd. October about Type2.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07yklv8

Diabetes: The Hidden Killer
Panorama
Britain is in the grip of a health epidemic that's threatening to overwhelm the NHS. More and more of us are being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. It's a hidden killer which can lead to heart failure,blindness, kidney disease and leg amputations. Now even children are being diagnosed with the condition. Filming over six months, Panorama reports from the frontline of the epidemic - in Birmingham, where almost one in ten people has the disease.
I found it a very unbalanced view of the world. It reminded me of those films they used to show in schools, of people having their lungs cut out as a deterant against smoking. Time showed that the "scare them to death " strategy to be largely ineffective. There was so much missing from this account it was rather worrying. I would have thought that Panorama could have done better.

andyolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Doctors telling me to take tablets
I control my type 2 with diet and exercise after completing a low calorie diet for 12weeks at my last doctors visit my b.s.l was an average of 6.4. So I felt not bad eh then I watch the program and have had nightmares for 2 nights. I felt the work we put in to help our condition was not talked about only surgery and amputation awaits.

Reactions: Prem51

vandur

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Panorama
Britain is in the grip of a health epidemic that's threatening to overwhelm the NHS. More and more of us are being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. It's a hidden killer which can lead to heart failure,blindness, kidney disease and leg amputations. Now even children are being diagnosed with the condition. Filming over six months, Panorama reports from the frontline of the epidemic - in Birmingham, where almost one in ten people has the disease.
I also watched the documentary and was appalled felt like I was facing early death ,amputation and a myriad of other ills .I have already been following the no carb low cal diet and managed to reduce glucose levels a little but still.over limit however I am not overweight and the doctor told me I can't get rid of my diabetes just control the levels I am trying more exercise too now but was very disheartened not to be able to get off medication..I felt this programme was designed to scare people not to help remedy the situation

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I also watched the documentary and was appalled felt like I was facing early death ,amputation and a myriad of other ills .I have already been following the no carb low cal diet and managed to reduce glucose levels a little but still.over limit however I am not overweight and the doctor told me I can't get rid of my diabetes just control the levels I am trying more exercise too now but was very disheartened not to be able to get off medication..I felt this programme was designed to scare people not to help remedy the situation

Hi @vandur made a good move coming on this forum.
Check out the links in this posting, they are pretty good from my experience.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/thr...ike-that-panorama-programme-suggested.108923/

C

catherinecherub

Your non judgmental, supportive, tolerance is not shining through.
Your answer is typical of the stereotyping of Type2 diabetes by the media.
Do you have any sympathy for Type2's who have been told to eat a high carb diet by HCPs or who have steroid induced Type2?
There are often psychological problems involved with people who have issues with foods.
There are also a variety of medications, necessary for some members that have raised their blood sugars, resulting in a diagnosis of Type2.
I am at a loss to understand what you have gained by your offensive post.

Wpepsi63

Panorama

The BBC should be ashamed of itself for its diabolical hatchet job !

The Panorama programme was a waste of time and bbc money ...what was its purpose? The headline diabetes costs the NHS money has already been well documented. All it did was to vilify anyone with diabetes...no distinction between type 1 or type 2 but even then just an implication that those of us with tD2 are just lazy people who stuff their faces! Makes me feel embarrassed and ashamed to admit I have TD2 so how will that help me take care of myself and save the NHS money? Basically by using the cricketer as an example of someone who had looked after himself by keeping his sugars under control but still succumbing to kidney dialysis showed us diabetics there is no hope and the disease will get you in the end! Not helpful.

Where was any of the positives... showing us how diet can help..especially the low carb blood sugar diet I have been following..my results? HBA1c in May 2016 was 128!! HBA1c in September 2016 33!!!! Reversed in less than 4 months..
(Meds for just 3 weeks but had reactions to metformin and gliclazide so done practically meds free) I know i have to maintain this for the rest of my life but hey... I did NOT have my stomach stapled in order to achieve it... I ate less ,especially sugar and carbohydrates, and moved more..alot more.. Where was this information in the programme? Or even any mention of reversing/holding back the progression of the disease via non surgical means discussed? There is some hope out there and we should spread it.

How are we ever going to reach those 1 million people who do not know they have the disease or are at risk if we don't promote the symptoms and encourage everyone to look at their ABBC (apple shape,blood sugars,blood pressure and cholesterol)... everyone should do this.. not just diabetics> This is how the NHS will save money... prevention. Smokers get help to quit nicotine, why can't they offer better help to those of us addicted to sugar? telling us to go away and loose weight
is half hearted help.
The programme could have also pointed out that friends and families expecting us diabetics to just go without all the lovely food they are still eating in front of us (because they think they will never get Diabetes will they? )and that we need to consider "poison" just make it even harder to stick to the diet and keep our resolve. We have to be stronger than anyone else around us. But we have to have the confidence in ourselves to do so. Making us ashamed and embarrassed will make many of us dive for the comfort food not ignore it.

I wish the NHS and the media would wake up and be proactive in catching people early. I am interested in seeing the new "packet" being distributed to doctors surgeries this month to see if they have stopped promoting high carb low fat diets and how they are going to catch the pre diabetics and the people walking around not knowing they have the disease if they don't put up posters showing symptoms or offer "suspect"people coming through their surgeries for other reasons, a glucose test?
The computer systems could have a red flag system that asks doctors to check if their current patient is overweight?apple shaped? big blood pressure? do they ned to be offered a glucose test? I was never offered one and was diagnosed only because i was suddenly thirsty all the time which was not like me and I knew it was a symptom of TD2. But not everyone knows the symptoms... I displayed others like unexplained weight loss too but did not connect that to diabetes at all.

I want all the diabetics out there to be strong and be their own advocate because no one else can do it for you as well as you can do it for yourself> We cannot let the media get us down. We can just do our best and ask for help where we can but in the end we have to be in control ourselves. Why? Because we are worth it!

Last edited:
Reactions: ziggy_w and Prem51

hillsrocket7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Am in hospital at mo! but have to say for all diabetic's out there as a past sister on the wards that program i's for people who eat the wrong things & drink lots of alcohol or sweets it's not meant for people who control there blood sugar's well was such a shocking thing to show without telling how the people on the programme got to amputation's. THAT'S THE REASON WHY PLEASE DON'T GET UPSET I WAS BUT NOT NOW. DISCUSSED A MASSIVE YES!!!!!

Johngi55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Goodness me.

I just want to go up to that man, hug him, hand him a meter and tell him to eat low carb.
- 4 weetabix 'topped up' with frosties for breakfast!?!?!
- a large bowl of pasta salad for lunch, with 2 ferrero rocher?!!?!
- choc snacks all afternoon?1!!
- porridge and an apple??!?!?!

He is just following the carb mantra, isn't he?

How does the man function? If I was eating that I couldn't work, couldn't do that job, couldn't function, let alone play with my kids in the evening, and I DEFINITELY couldn't control my diabetes.

I don't know about giving him a hug, he needs a kick up the backside. I was diagnosed 6 months ago with type 2, I immediately cut out all sugar, white bread and cut down completely on all other carbohydrates. I have lost approximately 12kg and gone from a 40 inch waist to a 36 inch waist. If I can do this at 61 years old then surely the man on Panorama with a young family can do that for himself. I feel strongly that anyone who doesn't make an effort for themselves should not get full NHS support for their treatments.

Jo123

Another observation I would make is that the programme showed you extremely bad control, the impression I got that if you aren't clinically obese and have acceptable hba1c's then you'll be fine. My mum's hba1c's are considered good yet she still has a plethora of side effects which have ruined her health. My type 1 (late onset) grandad with acceptable control died after having his foot amputated, I was devastated as I had a lot to do with my grandad, he and my nan used to press the red button to call me rather than closer relatives of he had a hypo as I didn't panic and call an ambulance immediately as other family members did, he hated this as he would be taken to hospital be given glucose, then stay a few hours then wait all day to come home!!
Fear of these side effects motivates me to be strict with my diet. Also years ago I watched a TV programme about type 2 diabetes which compared excess glucose in your blood to share of glass damaging your blood vessels, nerves etc. If tempted I found this image extremely motivating without having to see people having limbs amputated and the stereotypes of fat lazy type 2 diabetics perpetuated.

Tylerhc

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Panorama
I was horrified by the BBC programme. So much so I am writing a letter of complaint. It was totally irresponsible as it gave the impression that the only way forward was surgery. I was diagnosed with diabetes 18 months ago and got put on Metformin. I spent years trying to help my mum, when she was alive, to keep her diabetes on track. I went up and down aisles looking for ''meals' she could get that were low/zero in sugar with not much success! My mum was on 3 X daily insulin. I was so determined not to go down that slippery slope. In Marxh this year I started a high protein/low carb diet. Nothing enters my mouth that has any added sugar. I cook everything from scratch. I have lost 2 stone, have never felt healthier, and have already been reduced to just 1 Metformin. My blood sugars are stable and I fully expect to come off all medication when I see my GP in December. Reversing yourself out of diabetes CAN be done. We need to promote this to everyone who is diagnosed. We also need to battle with the multi billion pound companies that are making food with added sugar which is creating this epidemic.