1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

The Hidden Killer. Type 2 Diabetes.

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by catherinecherub, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Fox1001

Fox1001 Type 2 · Active Member

Hi,
    I spoke to my GP yesterday and he said the program was aimed at those who don't bother with their diabetes, he told me I was very proactive in controlling my sugars, and always asking questions about different meds that would suit me, so the biased BBC really should get both sides, and not attack all type 2's for the heavy burden on the NHS, hope you are ok, and your hospital stay isn't too long.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. serenity648

serenity648 · Guest

that behaviour sounds like an undiagnosed mental health issue and should be being addressed alongside his diabetes. If you substitute that behaviour with alcohol, it sounds like an addiction issue he needs help with, not condemnation.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Tabbyjoolz

Tabbyjoolz Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I remember having exactly the same battle with chocolate and sweets as that poor bloke, years before I was diagnosed. And, yes, I have had episodes of depression. The good thing about the low-carb diet is that this compulsion pretty much disappears.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. kentish maid

kentish maid Type 2 · Well-Known Member

i agree with you it was so biased my blood pressure must have gone sky high typical bbc.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DavidGrahamJones

DavidGrahamJones Type 2 · Well-Known Member

May I suggest we all write to the producers at the BBC. They'll not know what they've done wrong unless we tell them. Even the messages on their facebook page are a bit tame when discussing this program and the answer, LC.

eMail: [email protected]

Address: BBC Panorama, Zone D, 4th Floor, BBC Broadcasting House, Portland Place, London, UK, W1A 1AA

The more the better! I'm all for moaning, just in the right direction, it doesn't achieve much among ourselves.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. magjanereer

magjanereer Type 1 · Member

i am having grapefruit for breakfast instead of porridge, which is low carb and low GI..I could not eat it when on statins tho..I do feel much better for the change I must say.

• Like Like x 1
  7. frankman

frankman Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hello friends, I haven't been here for a long time. Most of 2016, I've spent being concerned about heart disease and prostate cancer. Of course I haven't ignored my diabetes, I recently attended a 6 week EPP course for diabetes.

I caught half of the Panorama programme, so I'll watch it again on iplayer.

I suppose the programme gave a miserable attitude towards diabetes. But then, I wasn't horrified by it. Rather I felt it was a wake up call. My father passed away from diabetic complications 4 years ago. So it is up to me to ensure that I don't end up as he did. At present my diabetes is under good control, even though I'm rather overweight. As has already been mentioned on here, my GP once advised me to cut down on my blood testing. Well, because I've got other things on my mind, I simply forget about it and don't bother! Yes, I'm wrong in doing this, but I don't think I'm harming myself. I haven't tried low carb, but will look into it. By the way, as I'm half Italian, I love pasta, but I don't eat it every day!

Frank.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Squire Fulwood

Squire Fulwood Type 2 · Expert

Yes he may need help and perhaps they will have a programme about that as well. In the meantime he was touted as a typical diabetic and I would like to distance myself from the image he portrayed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

13g of carb is probably more carbs than I eat all day..not sure why you consider it not that bad.. better than 4 of course but better than bacon and eggs? probably not.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. george895

george895 Type 2 · Member

I've got the opposite problem, my diabetic nurse called me twice within two weeks and gave me contradictory advice. I started on the low carb diet following the advice of the diabetic nurse and started exercising and lost 2lbs in two weeks. When the same diabetic nurse rang a week later she told me not to lose to much weight.!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

I am type 1 and used to eat Weetabix, but only one, I felt two was too much, even though I could easily eat two. It was my favourite breakfast cereal.

12. Squire Fulwood

Squire Fulwood Type 2 · Expert

At the rate of 1lb a week I don't think you are losing too much. In fact, if you are overweight, I think you could lose it more quickly.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Catlady19

Catlady19 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I dont think he was being a hypocrite, he was admitting he had an addiction.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Jay-Marc

Jay-Marc Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I didn't say it was good necessarily, just not that bad in relative terms, particularly for someone who can tolerate with out issue a few tens of grammes a day - or just can't give up some morning cereal.

#234 Jay-Marc, Oct 5, 2016 at 5:16 PM
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  15. AtkinsMo

AtkinsMo Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Most people can easily give up breakfast cereal, provided they understand and believe that a good old fashioned fry-up is actually healthy! The problem is that it is so deeply embedded in the psyche now that fat is unhealthy, it takes a lot of overcoming! Pleased to report that I have well and truly crossed that barrier and love my morning bacon and egg treat!

• Like Like x 2
  16. Jay-Marc

Jay-Marc Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Don't forget this was in the context of someone with self control difficulties and it could take several supported steps of which that could be one.

Mind you, his diet after bariatric surgery would have to be different on a permanent basis.

(Is it not a coincidence that my spell checker suggested changing bariatric into barbaric ...)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. azkuahmd

azkuahmd Type 2 · Member

I've seen the video and it's horifying and truly frustrating coming to know of the hopelessness of the patient accepting wholy the doctors recommendation to amputate. All these could at least be avoided if professional doctors at least recommend lchf diet which most doctors should now know of the diabetes reversible effect of lchf diet. Come on doctors, even me on the other side of the world ( third world) could see the benefits to diabetes of lchf or ketogenic diet.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Fox1001

Fox1001 Type 2 · Active Member

Did anybody else notice the lady who was 56, accepting the fact she was going to have an amputation, and on the bedside table chocolates, is it me or are these people just looking for trouble, I am being very proactive about my diabetes, and don't want to be associated with people who basically are killing themselves.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. nomoredonuts

nomoredonuts Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Just downloaded this. I'm looking forward to seeing if it will prove to be the perfect foil to last night's programme.

• Like Like x 1
  20. DavidGrahamJones

DavidGrahamJones Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Have another whinge on their FB page https://www.facebook.com/bbcpanorama/

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook