The Hidden Killer. Type 2 Diabetes.

• Thread starter catherinecherub
  • Start Date

Fox1001

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi,
I spoke to my GP yesterday and he said the program was aimed at those who don't bother with their diabetes, he told me I was very proactive in controlling my sugars, and always asking questions about different meds that would suit me, so the biased BBC really should get both sides, and not attack all type 2's for the heavy burden on the NHS, hope you are ok, and your hospital stay isn't too long.

Reactions: Prem51
S

serenity648

Don't forget the stealing of the children's chocolate from the fridge so he had to go out and buy replacements. I feel ashamed to have the same diagnosis as him.

that behaviour sounds like an undiagnosed mental health issue and should be being addressed alongside his diabetes. If you substitute that behaviour with alcohol, it sounds like an addiction issue he needs help with, not condemnation.

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
I remember having exactly the same battle with chocolate and sweets as that poor bloke, years before I was diagnosed. And, yes, I have had episodes of depression. The good thing about the low-carb diet is that this compulsion pretty much disappears.

kentish maid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who tell me I don't need to test my blood
i agree with you it was so biased my blood pressure must have gone sky high typical bbc.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
May I suggest we all write to the producers at the BBC. They'll not know what they've done wrong unless we tell them. Even the messages on their facebook page are a bit tame when discussing this program and the answer, LC.

eMail: [email protected]

Address: BBC Panorama, Zone D, 4th Floor, BBC Broadcasting House, Portland Place, London, UK, W1A 1AA

The more the better! I'm all for moaning, just in the right direction, it doesn't achieve much among ourselves.

magjanereer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i am having grapefruit for breakfast instead of porridge, which is low carb and low GI..I could not eat it when on statins tho..I do feel much better for the change I must say.

frankman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello friends, I haven't been here for a long time. Most of 2016, I've spent being concerned about heart disease and prostate cancer. Of course I haven't ignored my diabetes, I recently attended a 6 week EPP course for diabetes.

I caught half of the Panorama programme, so I'll watch it again on iplayer.

I suppose the programme gave a miserable attitude towards diabetes. But then, I wasn't horrified by it. Rather I felt it was a wake up call. My father passed away from diabetic complications 4 years ago. So it is up to me to ensure that I don't end up as he did. At present my diabetes is under good control, even though I'm rather overweight. As has already been mentioned on here, my GP once advised me to cut down on my blood testing. Well, because I've got other things on my mind, I simply forget about it and don't bother! Yes, I'm wrong in doing this, but I don't think I'm harming myself. I haven't tried low carb, but will look into it. By the way, as I'm half Italian, I love pasta, but I don't eat it every day!

Frank.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
that behaviour sounds like an undiagnosed mental health issue and should be being addressed alongside his diabetes. If you substitute that behaviour with alcohol, it sounds like an addiction issue he needs help with, not condemnation.
Yes he may need help and perhaps they will have a programme about that as well. In the meantime he was touted as a typical diabetic and I would like to distance myself from the image he portrayed.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The Diabetics UK Guide to Type 2 diabetes actually includes pasta within their page on top tips for eating well. As well as a lunch suggestion earlier on of baked beans and a jacket potato.

The manufacturers of Weetabix consider a serving to be 2 biscuits (26g of carbs). We don't know what his pasta size serving was. It isn't impossible that he was at some stage even recommended these foods without maybe being given clear guidance as to the quantity. One Weetabix for breakfast wouldn't be that bad for example.
13g of carb is probably more carbs than I eat all day..not sure why you consider it not that bad.. better than 4 of course but better than bacon and eggs? probably not.

george895

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Having phoned my doctor for a proactive way of controlling my diabetes, to be told she was far too busy to talk to me, and my nurse is overworked and cannot phone me, it seems when we have a reaction they have to take us seriously, I have asked for medical help, and nobody is interested, this forum has given me more advice than any medical person, they put us into a pocket give us medicine, and don't want to know when we know we are in difficulties.
I've got the opposite problem, my diabetic nurse called me twice within two weeks and gave me contradictory advice. I started on the low carb diet following the advice of the diabetic nurse and started exercising and lost 2lbs in two weeks. When the same diabetic nurse rang a week later she told me not to lose to much weight.!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I am type 1 and used to eat Weetabix, but only one, I felt two was too much, even though I could easily eat two. It was my favourite breakfast cereal.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've got the opposite problem, my diabetic nurse called me twice within two weeks and gave me contradictory advice. I started on the low carb diet following the advice of the diabetic nurse and started exercising and lost 2lbs in two weeks. When the same diabetic nurse rang a week later she told me not to lose to much weight.!
At the rate of 1lb a week I don't think you are losing too much. In fact, if you are overweight, I think you could lose it more quickly.

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No control of chocolate, but then says he doesn't turn to alcohol or drugs, an addiction is an addiction no matter what, don't be a hypocrite, people with addictive personalities swap addictions, the program didn't look at type 2's who were proactive, just those that needed surgery, typical biased BBC looking at the worst case scenarios, rather than those looking to lead a normal life.
I dont think he was being a hypocrite, he was admitting he had an addiction.

Reactions: serenity648

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
13g of carb is probably more carbs than I eat all day..not sure why you consider it not that bad.. better than 4 of course but better than bacon and eggs? probably not.
I didn't say it was good necessarily, just not that bad in relative terms, particularly for someone who can tolerate with out issue a few tens of grammes a day - or just can't give up some morning cereal.

Last edited:

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Most people can easily give up breakfast cereal, provided they understand and believe that a good old fashioned fry-up is actually healthy! The problem is that it is so deeply embedded in the psyche now that fat is unhealthy, it takes a lot of overcoming! Pleased to report that I have well and truly crossed that barrier and love my morning bacon and egg treat!

Reactions: Prem51 and hankjam

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't forget this was in the context of someone with self control difficulties and it could take several supported steps of which that could be one.

Mind you, his diet after bariatric surgery would have to be different on a permanent basis.

(Is it not a coincidence that my spell checker suggested changing bariatric into barbaric ...)

azkuahmd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I've seen the video and it's horifying and truly frustrating coming to know of the hopelessness of the patient accepting wholy the doctors recommendation to amputate. All these could at least be avoided if professional doctors at least recommend lchf diet which most doctors should now know of the diabetes reversible effect of lchf diet. Come on doctors, even me on the other side of the world ( third world) could see the benefits to diabetes of lchf or ketogenic diet.

Fox1001

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Did anybody else notice the lady who was 56, accepting the fact she was going to have an amputation, and on the bedside table chocolates, is it me or are these people just looking for trouble, I am being very proactive about my diabetes, and don't want to be associated with people who basically are killing themselves.

Reactions: Squire Fulwood

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Also caught up this week with http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07xwstx on BBC iPlayer. It's presented by Jamie Owen, BBC One Wales. Very interesting attitude from the doctors. It seemed to me that everyone - apart from the one pro LCHF Doctor in Wales (that's what they said!) - appeared ignorant of recent LCHF developments and, in particular, the research being carried out by Professor Taylor in Newcastle. Interesting time.
Just downloaded this. I'm looking forward to seeing if it will prove to be the perfect foil to last night's programme.