The High's At Midnight

Ashlav91

Morning all,

Strange one, but no doubt some of you have also been affected by this. The joys of T1...

As an active go getter with a low of 10 hours heavy excerices each week, I test my bloods on average of 10 times throughout the day.
I'm always cautious of what to eat and when to eat also!
Recently, with no change in my normal routine I'm finding myself entering the highs during the night.
Now, I test before I take my evening shot of levemir and also test before I finally rest with my reading showing around 6-8 (usually lower from when i have taken my levemir).
Now I tend stay away from any snacking or meals after 6pm each evening yet I find my BG level rising greatly throughout the night.

Other than small external changes, weather etc, what could potentially causing this?

Any advise or help is welcome.

Thanks in advance, Ash x

Reactions: Our_lady_
D

Deleted Account

There are many things which affect our BG.
Perhaps it is stress?
Perhaps your body is fighting off some germs?
Perhaps your body has got used to the exercise you are doing and not emptying your liver as much?

Ashlav91

There are many things which affect our BG.
Perhaps it is stress?
Perhaps your body is fighting off some germs?
Perhaps your body has got used to the exercise you are doing and not emptying your liver as much?

I'm a rather laid back individual so not sure stress would be the cause.

Excerices could be a reason, but maybe a more intensive change may be required.

It could also be my levemir, as I had previously(8 years or so) told that it could potentially cause a spike if the units where too high for the user.

Nothing like guess work in this beautiful situation we find ourselves in

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Ashlav91 Nothing like a curve ball to throw you off guard.. Another thought to consider is the amount of fat you eat with your evening meal which could delay the carb absorption meaning you go high during the night, i've noticed when I eat cheese that this happens with me. What time are you testing in the night ? If I think I will go high in the night then I wake around 2-3am and do a correction then so I can wake in range. Personally I would sit on it and wait a few days before acting on it and increasing my basal.

Ashlav91

Hi @Ashlav91 Nothing like a curve ball to throw you off guard.. Another thought to consider is the amount of fat you eat with your evening meal which could delay the carb absorption meaning you go high during the night, i've noticed when I eat cheese that this happens with me. What time are you testing in the night ? If I think I will go high in the night then I wake around 2-3am and do a correction then so I can wake in range. Personally I would sit on it and wait a few days before acting on it and increasing my basal.
Who doesn't love a good curve ball? thankfully my diet doesn' contain much fat. My evening meal generally contains more protein and usually eaten around 6pm. My evening tests usually around 9pm with my levemir and then I test again for bed at around 10pm. I shall consider a switch up but wont act upon it just yet. Things take time and alot of external factors affect us in so many different ways