The insulin-antagonistic And the phenomenon of dawn

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
The counterregulatory hormones glucagon, adrenaline, cortisol and growth hormone are released during hypoglycaemia, and under other stress conditions. These hormones have insulin-antagonistic effects both in the liver and in the peripheral tissues. The insulin-antagonistic effects of glucagon and adrenaline are of rapid onset, whereas those of cortisol and growth hormone are only observed after a lag period of several hours. Glucagon is the most important hormone for acute glucose counterregulation. When the release of this hormone is deficient, as in patients with insulin-dependent diabetes, adrenaline becomes the most important hormone for glucose recovery during hypoglycaemia. Cortisol and growth hormone contribute to counterregulation during prolonged hypoglycaemia, but adrenaline is also of utmost importance in this condition. Adrenaline induces the early posthypoglycaemic insulin resistance, whereas cortisol and growth hormone are important for the insulin resistance that is observed later following hypoglycaemia. However, the importance of posthypoglycaemic insulin resistance for induction of posthypoglycaemic hyperglycaemia in clinical situations is limited. The pronounced insulin-antagonistic effect of growth hormone indicates that this hormone, in addition to its effect on the dawn phenomenon, could also play a key role in the regulation of other diurnal rhythms of glucose metabolism.

Moved to the statement

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Where does this statement come from? Thanks for posting and what practical implications does it have for you as a type 2?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you. As a type 1 require over a third more insulin overnight when eating normally due to the liver dump of the dawn phenomenon and it is hard to get the dose right so the best way to regulate my bg is not to eat but lchf is next best. If I were type 2 I guess I would accept the liver dumping thing as part of a necessary physiological process (we need a way to get glucose to our brains without eating it to cope with times of fasting) but aim to reduce my need for insulin and be as insulin sensitive as possible assuming my beta cells weren't under producing in which case pharmaceutical help from a biguamide or glitazone type drug. One of the head scratchers for me is that if I do weights training (in order to be insulin sensitive) then I spike my glucose (goes up to 15+) due to temporary insulin resistance caused by the muscles' need for energy, as I understand it. I guess that for a type 2 the benefits of weight training would be greater than a mini glucose spike. Anyway I am rambling so will shut up now

Reactions: HICHAM_T2