The most important meal of the day...

mish1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi tealeaves, different strokes for different folks whne it comes to food on here , some low carb & some don't , just be sensible . Breakie for me is 2 weetabix witha wee bit of full milk, or scrambled eggs , with a cup of tea ( no sugar ) . I'm trying to loose weight so I watch portions rather than worrying too much about carbs, a german / austria breakie is good for a change they go for cold meat & cheese with a v small chunk of bread .

tealeaves

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi everyone. thanks for suggestions. After making myself quite poorly the last few days after a daily diet of no breakfast, grilled chicken for lunch and chicken or fish for tea - nothing else - I was put under doctors orders to eat at least some cereal and/or toast as well. I've been having one large pillow of shredded wheat and it doesn't cause a spike. Found some unsweetened wheat puffs in Sainsburys - basically sugar puffs with no sugar - so they might be alright too.

Hba1c was 7 and I'm on 500mg metformin which is making me throw up.

Good news is I'm seeing an NLP eating disorder therapist privately next week.

SparkJack

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi tealeaves
I'm on 500 x2 metformin a day. I found I couldn't tolerate the ordinary ones that I was first given. After a few weeks the DN changed them to the slow release variety and they were fine.You may stop throwing up but you may not. If you don't, ask for SR.
I found some Special K still in my cupboard to-day and I thought I would try some to see whether it still spiked by BS levels- +2 hours I was 11.5. Special K was relegated to the bin without a second glance.
One boiled egg for breakfast tomorrow + a few nuts.
Good luck with NLP .It's fascinating.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi tealeaves

It sounds as if you reduced your carbs too far, too fast. Go for Low GI ones - wholemeal or granary bread, for instance, and brown rice - in small-ish portions. I'm glad you're okay with the Shredded Wheat.

If you ever need to sweeten things up a bit - I use a brand of sweetener called Splenda, tablet or granular form, which tasts fine and doesn't affect blood glucose. Other brands are available :wink:

Things should soon settle down with the Metformin - I hope! Are you on 1 x 500mg per day? They are known for causing stomach/bowel upsets, so your doctor should increase the dose gradually. If not, I agree with the others - ask for the slow release version.

So please to hear about the therapist! Let us know how you get on. :D

Viv 8)

Grazer

viviennem said:
I'm glad you're okay with the Shredded Wheat.

See! See! Us Sheep know these things! :lol: :lol: Mustn't get over-excited. Need to save that for the spring when I've been promised a **** good shearing. Not sure what that is, but it sounds good!

alliebee

Grazer, I dont want to put a dampner on things,

But you do realise that they dip sheep in a big pool before they shear them in the spring?

Bless you ...... :lol:

Grazer

alliebee said:
Grazer, I dont want to put a dampner on things,

But you do realise that they dip sheep in a big pool before they shear them in the spring?

Bless you ...... :lol:
Wot, a big pool like a Jacuzzi? Then I meet the Chick sheep for the **** good shearing? Still sounds good! :thumbup:

suzie_girl

Tealeaves, like you I was a dreadful breakfast skipper my whole life, remebering to EAT is the only thing I sometimes struggle with too. I think I might try shredded wheat I like them even tho I know its wrong to like the birds nest crunchiness :-D

A friend who has diabetes told me before I started my 500mg metrofmin, take them WITH FOOD! They didn't warn me about this at the doctors she said if you don't they make you sick or er, poo lol I hope taking them with your shredded wheat will help.

I ditched cereals years ago they're just sugary s**t with no nutritional value, how they market them to children escapes me. I have been making myself have breakfast tho I got to 11 am the last two days so still got to improve.

So far my favorites are Greek yogart with an orange and honey and cinimon swirled in it, home made porriage which I dry mix cocoa powder cinamon and sweeter into it to make a chocolatey sludge, and if I'm dead stuck I carry some plain oatcakes in case I get stuck in a c**p meeting / on the motorway.

Good luck and thanks everyone for the ideas!

mrawfell

I am not going to comment on your diet, there are plenty of people more experienced then me, commenting.
However why the secrecy ? You may need a shoulder to cry on or maybe, people to understand your choice of foods, but you do need support. Diabetes is just one of those diseases. It is not contageous, it is not caused by any actions of yours good or bad. So tell people. It's not as if you got an STD, through using the services of a member of the opposite sex.The more who know the more help you will receive.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
mrawfell said:
It's not as if you got an STD, through using the services of a member of the opposite sex.The more who know the more help you will receive.

You're saying that like it's a bad thing... <scratches>

Sirzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Grazer,

Do you do better with carbs in the morning? I'm just wondering, 'cos I've been eating eggs every morning for months and am REALLY sick of them now, so fancy trying a bit of cereal for a change. I tried porridge oats last week, but even a tiny serving spiked my BG right up. Thing is, they only contained around 7g of carbs, so I'm wondering if I try shredded wheat, which has a whopping 37g per serving, if this will be even worse than the porridge. How on earth does this amount not spike you first thing in the morning? Is it 'cos it's slow release? But then I thought porridge was too :?

Have you checked your BG more than 2 hours after eating the shredded wheat? I only ask as I recently started eating Sainsburys Free From brown bread (which is ace, as it barely moves my bg if I have it in the evening), but for the first 3 hours after eating it my BG stays the same, it's only 4 - 5 hours later that I rise by about 0.5-1mmol.

Sorry for the grilling, but I'm thinking of going to get myself a box of shredded wheat to try tomorrow morning, but I'm a bit worried about the huge amount of carbs in it. I'll never know unless I try it though eh? :)

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I tried Tesco's own brand Nut Granola yesterday.

Started at 5.5, ate 50g with semi-skimmed milk, spiked 30 mins later at 8.1, at 1 hr 7.6, at 2 hrs 5.4! Not bad. I do similarly with Lizi's Granola - the original one. I eat cereal only occasionally, but it's nice that I now have two alternatives to my daily omelette (which I love!).

Viv 8)

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
Im in the same boat as you, and lost my Anchor as well they told me last Thursday. Not a clue what im supposed to eat or not, just looking into space and thinking my world has come to an abrupt end..... good fry up sounds like Haven but terrified it will kill me now and send all sorts of insulin levels into the stratosphere and blow my head off.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
RoyG said:
Im in the same boat as you, and lost my Anchor as well they told me last Thursday. Not a clue what im supposed to eat or not, just looking into space and thinking my world has come to an abrupt end..... good fry up sounds like Haven but terrified it will kill me now and send all sorts of insulin levels into the stratosphere and blow my head off.

Read the advice Daisy give you in your first post Roy.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
RoyG said:

As long as you leave out the fried bread and beans, and make sure that your sausages have a high enough meat content, then a good fry-up is the perfect low-carb breakfast. I had a sausages, bacon, onion and eggs this morning, with hardly a blip on my meter.

You can't go wrong with meat and non-starchy veg, plus a bit of dairy.

Grazer

Sirzy said:
Hi Grazer,

Do you do better with carbs in the morning? I'm just wondering, 'cos I've been eating eggs every morning for months and am REALLY sick of them now, so fancy trying a bit of cereal for a change. I tried porridge oats last week, but even a tiny serving spiked my BG right up. Thing is, they only contained around 7g of carbs, so I'm wondering if I try shredded wheat, which has a whopping 37g per serving, if this will be even worse than the porridge. How on earth does this amount not spike you first thing in the morning? Is it 'cos it's slow release? But then I thought porridge was too :?

Have you checked your BG more than 2 hours after eating the shredded wheat? I only ask as I recently started eating Sainsburys Free From brown bread (which is ace, as it barely moves my bg if I have it in the evening), but for the first 3 hours after eating it my BG stays the same, it's only 4 - 5 hours later that I rise by about 0.5-1mmol.

Sorry for the grilling, but I'm thinking of going to get myself a box of shredded wheat to try tomorrow morning, but I'm a bit worried about the huge amount of carbs in it. I'll never know unless I try it though eh? :)

Hi Sirzy! As you say, try a bit and test! I genuinely seem good in the mornings. Can eat loads if shredded wheat, and have tested at 2, 3 and 4 hours after. Never a problem, but that's me. Not so good with carbs later in the day.
Perhaps try a little all bran? Lower carb, and low GI. I've had the Sainsburys own version with no spike.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
RoyG said:

I do bacon egg and mushrooms around twice a week. Very low carb. When I first got diagnosed I ate it a lot more as it was one meal that I new was safe and could eat without worrying. Now 3 stone lighter with normal cholesterol so didn't harm me. It's difficult but at the start I found it more useful to concentrate on lowering my sugar levels than worrying too much about how much fat I was eating. So fry up's, cheese, omelettes, meat of all kinds and loads of mixed veg all in BUT bread, rice, pasta, pastry and cereals all MOSTLY out. Once I got my levels back under control then I started to learn how to begin to vary things to get the healthy food balance better without compromising my levels. Just keep asking questions Roy we all did when we first arrived.