The Newcastle Diet and reversing #Type2Diabetes. What you think?

The Newcastle Diet and reversing #Type2Diabetes. What you think?

• Looks dangerous

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Looks amazing

• I believe it but I am yet to do it

• I have done it but it didn't work for me

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

T2#Me

HbA1c of under 48 after one year with no meds for the previous 2 months isn't reversal in my eyes

Wow! Really? Looks excellent from where I sit i.e. clueless newbie who thought getting A1C down to 47 (and below) was enough to be in remission (though yet to figure out how to keep it there for life, admittedly). Your criterion seems scary and harsh from this perspective ... what should I be shooting for, would you say? I better get my target right :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow! Really? Looks excellent from where I sit i.e. clueless newbie who thought getting A1C down to 47 (and below) was enough to be in remission (though yet to figure out how to keep it there for life, admittedly). Your criterion seems scary and harsh from this perspective ... what should I be shooting for, would you say? I better get my target right :)

https://www.diabetesremission.org/our-task/

Definition of Diabetes Remission
Following international standards [1,2] a person goes into diabetes remission when the following conditions are fulfilled:

1. Had a diagnosis of diabetes
  2. Fasting Serum Glucose (FSG) is less than 100 mg/ml (5.6mmol/l)
  3. HbA1c is less than 6.0% (42mmol/dL)
  4. There is no active hypoglycemic therapy (either pharmacological or surgical)

We define three levels of remission:

• Initial. When the conditions are fulfilled for three months
  • Complete. When the conditions are fulfilled for one year
  • Operational cure. When the conditions are fulfilled for five years or mor
References:
1. Buse JB, Caprio S, Cefalu WT, Ceriello A, Del Prato S, Inzucchi SE, et al. How do we define cure of diabetes? Diabetes Care. 2009 Nov;32(11):2133–5.
2. World Health Organization (WHO). Global Report on Diabetes 2016 [Internet]. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2016. Available from: http://www.who.int/diabetes/global-report/en/

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Personally, I've set my own parameters wrt Remission/Reversal and they are more stringent than the above but this may mean that I do not acheive them. Time will tell.

Reactions: AloeSvea