The NHS T2 Treatment Regime

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So how much research has there been that the Eatwell plate is so much better that it is recommended?
Pretty much none...
The eat well plate is an example to people how a balanced diet of protein, fat and carbs gives all the vitamins and minerals the body needs nobody ever said we have to eat it to the letter. In itself it is healthy and probably a far better way of eating than the way many people eat today There is nothing wrong with the eat well plate but as diabetics the only difference is we tailor it to suit us personally so we have less carbs and more fat if we want it

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
But the body needs protein and fats both being vital to life but it does not require carbs to maintain life thus a diet containing a large amount of carbs and sugar and advice that carbs are necessary to health is not to my mind particularly balanced.

Reactions: dbr10

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I had my foot check, I wasn't told not to wear high heels. Does that mean It's OK for me?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The eat well plate is an example to people how a balanced diet of protein, fat and carbs gives all the vitamins and minerals the body needs nobody ever said we have to eat it to the letter. In itself it is healthy and probably a far better way of eating than the way many people eat today There is nothing wrong with the eat well plate but as diabetics the only difference is we tailor it to suit us personally so we have less carbs and more fat if we want it
But with its fear of Sat fat and too many carbs it is probably bad for the entire population and not just Type 2's.. also it has no science behind it, at least none that is unbiased.

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I strongly believe that the eatwell plate is one of the reasons that I'm prediabetic. My diet up to about ten months ago mirrored the recomendations given by the NHS, and for me contained too many carbs. I thought I was doing the right thing, BMI in the normal range, at least "5 a day", starchy carbs and so on. Since going LCHF after finding this web-site, my overall health has improved as well as my BG levels.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I strongly believe that the eatwell plate is one of the reasons that I'm prediabetic. My diet up to about ten months ago mirrored the recomendations given by the NHS, and for me contained too many carbs. I thought I was doing the right thing, BMI in the normal range, at least "5 a day", starchy carbs and so on. Since going LCHF after finding this web-site, my overall health has improved as well as my BG levels.
Sorry but I do not believe whatever diet we had causes diabetes there is far more to it than just food

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry but I do not believe whatever diet we had causes diabetes there is far more to it than just food
I agree with @Rustytypin in the sense that a diet based on starchy foods, like the eatwell plate can on people that are predisposed to develop Type 2 diabetes or metabolyc syndrome to make the condition evident.
There are people that on eating starchy foods and high fructose corn syrup "only" become fat. On the other hand counting and cutting carbohydrates can make people with T2 to return in normal glycemic range.

So if one doesn't eat too much carbs logically will never have high blood glucose levels.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do not know why people think the Eat Well plate is such a bad thing it is only a bit to carb heavy for diabetics so we cut them down or out for everyone else it is fine carbs may cause obesity but in their self they do not cause diabetes if they did everyone would have it. Also the low fat diet.. it is low fat it does not mean no fat... so to me eating low fat has meant not eating to much saturated fat as in red meats which I do not like but I still have fat in dairy, poultry, fish and good oils . When those who say fat is not bad they do not mean us to eat loads of it just a normal amount they still say in moderation even Trudy Deakin said that .

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A bit carb heavy?
I have always found 'normal' eating impossible - even when doing things such as sailing caving and hill walking I ate far less than other people, and every time the doctors insisted I follow one of their diet sheets to the letter - or number, I put on so much weight - I also became very emotional and unable to cope with everyday life.
Whenever I reached the end of what I could stand and went back to low carb foods I was better and losing weight in days - but that was always the wrong thing to do and dreadful things were sure to happen, I was told over and over.
I can't be the only person in the country who has never eaten an Oreo - surely?

Reactions: MikeTurin

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What have I said? That on some people a diet rich on sugars, starches and carbohydrates, could make the type 2 diabetes condition visible. On other people the same diet doesn't cause the developement of diabetes.

There is also the fact that obesity after the introduction of eatwell-like dietary advice has spreaded like wildfire.
obesity1.png

It's possible that are other causes at work and the eatwell plate and dietary advices aren't the primary cause, but other things are at work.

It could be that nobody is actually following the guidelines, because they're hard to follow and are eating more, a lot more, of what should be eaten, and the actual calorie intake is way higher.

In other word the message that is sent by eatwell plate and dietin advices is normally misunderstood.

Last edited:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
In other word the message that is sent by eatwell plate and dietin advices is normally misunderstood.
In that case it's bad advise. Advise of this nature should be clear and unambiguous. Mind you it does seem clearly to state eat plenty of carbohydrates they are essential and your brain will run out of fuel and stop working if you don't.

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My thought on the eatwell plate...

In approx 50 years, doctors, hcp,s, scientists the world over will be debating how the world got it so badly wrong with T2 diabetes treatment....

Eatwell will go down as the biggest medical advice disaster in modern times...

Unfortunately, it will take decades to get to that point though....

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I completely agree but how do you get that message over to the millions of diabetics who consider what we do to be a faddy diet? It would take a huge advertising campaign with the government and medical profession virtually holding their hands up and stating publically that they had got it wrong. Then they are risking people taking legal action for complications arising as a result of that incorrect advice.

Even if the government recommendations were changed today to recommend LCHF the majority of people won't take any notice because its very hard to change the way you have been repeatedly told to eat by someone in authority like the GP or DN. That is the problem I found in my post earlier on this thread. People won't even consider it.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Supporters of the "Eatwell" plate simply ignore the fact that it takes very little carbs to generate a large insulin response from metabolically impaired individuals...and to continually demand that kind of insulin load has 2 main impact
- eventual beta cells exhaustion/dysfunction
- perpetual state of fat storage.
To force the body into a state of ketosis, extraneous/disciplined exercise is being recommended.
That is essentially the faulty logic driving the move more eat well fad that gives dismal T2D remission results for an entire generation. It requires will power which few of us possess...

In contrast, the low carb heavenly fats approach appeals to those of us who lacks will power. Who barely move for whatever reasons and yet maintain near normal glucose/insulin level...that explains the thousands of successful remission reported. So yes, both approaches will work...but in my anecdotal experience, one works far better than the other...

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
n contrast, the low carb heavenly fats approach appeals to those of us who lacks will power. Who barely move for whatever reasons and yet maintain near normal glucose/insulin level...that explains the thousands of successful remission reported. So yes, both approaches will work...but in my anecdotal experience, one works far better than the other...
And there many of us with conditions that make exercise extremely difficult if not down right impossible but still manage to control our diabetes despite that.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My thought on the eatwell plate...

In approx 50 years, doctors, hcp,s, scientists the world over will be debating how the world got it so badly wrong with T2 diabetes treatment....

Eatwell will go down as the biggest medical advice disaster in modern times...

Unfortunately, it will take decades to get to that point though....
It is not down to the doctors to dictate how we eat it is up to us personally to find out what suits us best. Anyway I doubt that there are that many diabetics who actually keep rigidly to the Eat Well plate most will be eating the way they want to and very many will think they can eat anything they like as long as they take the Metformin and that is probably more harmful than the Eat Well plate

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A bit carb heavy?
I have always found 'normal' eating impossible - even when doing things such as sailing caving and hill walking I ate far less than other people, and every time the doctors insisted I follow one of their diet sheets to the letter - or number, I put on so much weight - I also became very emotional and unable to cope with everyday life.
Whenever I reached the end of what I could stand and went back to low carb foods I was better and losing weight in days - but that was always the wrong thing to do and dreadful things were sure to happen, I was told over and over.
I can't be the only person in the country who has never eaten an Oreo - surely?
@"Resurgram No your not the only person never eaten an Oreo, I've never eaten one either

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Chook. Been catching up on posts & found post on here very interesting & informative, I was told to do the eat well plate, I did cos I didn't know any different then but not anymore, no way, I'm slim 58 kilos, doctor was surprised I was diabetic as I was slim, tried to educate myself & got my bgs down from 23.4 now my last 4 hbc1a has been 5.8%. 40mmol I think, saw nurse yesterday & it was suggested I eat weetabix ect, no way, no weetabix for me. thanks.

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No, I've never eaten one either.
I never ate an Oreo, but I have eaten a lot of the Italian version. "Ringo"
By the way in the '80s or in the '90 the recipe and the biscuit shape changed, and the "winchester cathedral" tune for advertising was abandoned. Almost stopped to eat them.

Reactions: maureen5752