The one show discussion

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hi,
Just wondering if anyone saw the discussion this evening? Unfortunately I caught the final 30 seconds but gather they were talking about diet controlled diabetes? They also mentioned that a documentary will be shown tomorrow evening, might be worth watching.

Reactions: jon1980 and Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just watched it on iPlayer, it was about four people who took part in a study of what looked like the liquid (soups and shakes) Newcastle diet though I don’t think they actually called it that (Prof Taylor’s name was mentioned). One of them was a type 2 diabetic and lost 6 stone and reduced his visceral fat by half. He described himself as “in remission”. The Dr did touch on returning to eating after the diet but didn’t really say what they returned to, and the diabetic said he was off all meds and his diabetes was in his past. He didn’t say what his diet was like now. The documentary is called “The Big Crash Diet Experiment” it’s on BBC1 tomorrow at 8pm.

Reactions: dbr10

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just watched it on iPlayer, it was about four people who took part in a study of what looked like the liquid (soups and shakes) Newcastle diet though I don’t think they actually called it that (Prof Taylor’s name was mentioned). One of them was a type 2 diabetic and lost 6 stone and reduced his visceral fat by half. He described himself as “in remission”. The Dr did touch on returning to eating after the diet but didn’t really say what they returned to, and the diabetic said he was off all meds and his diabetes was in his past. He didn’t say what his diet was like now. The documentary is called “The Big Crash Diet Experiment” it’s on BBC1 tomorrow at 8pm.
Hi I just caught up with via iPlayer too, I think it was the Newcastle diet they were referring too, as you said they didn’t mention it, but the man who featured on the show mentioned taking part in studies conducted in Newcastle. Be interesting to watch tomorrow’s programme, they may give an insight as to what the participants eat now.

Reactions: dbr10 and Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I just caught up with via iPlayer too, I think it was the Newcastle diet they were referring too, as you said they didn’t mention it, but the man who featured on the show mentioned taking part in studies conducted in Newcastle. Be interesting to watch tomorrow’s programme, they may give an insight as to what the participants eat now.

I hope so. I’m sure the diabetic man must have modified his eating since the experiment.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
the weight loss part of the dietary success does not explain how those like me have managed to control our type 2 diabetes without much, or any, weight loss.

I still maintain that it is the dietary changes, not the weight loss itself, which make the difference. I mean, the reduction in intake = an automatic reduction in carbs.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
the weight loss part of the dietary success does not explain how those like me have managed to control our type 2 diabetes without much, or any, weight loss.

I still maintain that it is the dietary changes, not the weight loss itself, which make the difference. I mean, the reduction in intake = an automatic reduction in carbs.

I think the weight loss is important for this particular approach. I see this approach as being all about getting fat out of the pancreas cells ASAP in order to get a recently diagnosed T2 patient out of the danger zone, carb-tolerance wise, so that they can go back to eating a fairly normal diet provided they don't clog up their pancreas cells again.

A lifelong LCHF diet approach is different. It may, in passing, have the same effect (restoration of some sort of normality in terms of carb tolerance due to getting rid of fat from the pancreas, if weight loss happens to occur) but the effect is less important as the diet doesn't require particularly good carb tolerance.

Given what we know about the likelihood of getting rid of a ton of weight and keeping it off for live, for me the LCHF approach seems like a safer bet, but the ND approach is more exciting in terms of pure science / biology. I'm really interested to see this documentary tomorrow if indeed they have been doing the ND approach.

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Be interesting to watch tomorrow’s programme, they may give an insight as to what the participants eat now.
Just looked at the trailer for the show and the blurb associated it mentions nothing about diabetes.

It look's like a disappointing attempt to show the only way to lose weight is a crash diet (hence the title) and giving up "real food" for diet shakes (going to assume low fat diet shakes).

All the 4 people are aloud for 9 weeks is, liquid only soup and diet shakes 800 calories per day.

IF you starve fat people they will lose weight.
It's hardly rocket science. :meh:
:bag:

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All the 4 people are aloud for 9 weeks is, liquid only soup and diet shakes 800 calories per day.

The Newcastle Diet in a nutshell...more importantly is how they are told to eat after they come off said diet of course..

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just looked at the trailer for the show and the blurb associated it mentions noting about diabetes.

It look's like a disappointing attempt to show the only way to lose weight is a crash diet (hence the title) and giving up "real food" for diet shakes (going to assume low fat diet shakes).

:bag:

I think the focus isn’t on Diabetes, but weight loss. It’s just the participant they had on the One Show this evening happened to be Type 2

TonyHancock

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The day after diagnosis I started the Michael Mosley BSD and stuck to 800 Cals per day, eating "real" food rather than shakes for 8 weeks and 2 days.

I have to say it was the best route for me. Unsurprisingly I saw results, immediately and that kept me motivated to keep going. The BG readings dropped to the 5's and 6's within a week. After a couple of weeks it became the norm and I didn't have hunger pains.

In the same circumstances I would choose this again. The ongoing strategy is LCHF and I still think the biggest benefit is a switch away from processed foods.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers

Starve anybody and they will lose weight. I think fat is not the best way to describe people only because many so called thin people have a lot of fat around their internal organs, as has been shown with CT scans.

I've been eating like a sparrow (not the birdseed diet, but a lot of veg) for several months without weight loss. My daily calorie intake is down to about 800 calories and I fast for 24hrs at least once a week. Maybe I'm using the air that I breath as fuel. Now that's rocket science. At least my BG is usually well under control, I had some chicken Monday night (bank holiday treat) and my BG didn't return to under 7 until Tuesday midday. Weird thing this diabetes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They are going to talk about the programme in BBC Breakfast at 9.05am

Reactions: dbr10

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok so BBC Breakfast featured the Dr and a different participant in the trial. A lady who lost 5 stone who admitted she’d put back on 8lbs since the ‘experiment’ finished. She had reversed her high blood pressure. Still no specifics on what they were eating after the nine weeks. The Dr just said nine weeks of the diet would break bad eating habits!