The start of a new journey - just diagnosed Type 2

EGGD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everyone from a cold, wintry Bristol!

Less than 7 days ago, just confirmed I am Type 2 Diabetic and have been placed on a course of Gliclazide as the first step of bringing my BG level down from c. 15mmol.

On the same day as the diagnosis was confirmed, I was offered a spanking new job with a good deal of international business travel (mainly Europe)...bringing another dimension with which to deal in my new world and look forward to both sharing and receiving information and experiences here as I hope to balance this new job and my Type 2! Trying to be positive, not the opposite...

Already, having lurked about without saying a word (uncharacteristic says my wife), I have found the information shared by the members of this forum to be brilliant, putting my mind at ease on a whole range of burning topics, including the side effects of the medication as it works bringing my BG level down.

As I become more up to speed with this new universe I've just entered, I hope to share tips and experiences instead of just asking questions which many of you will no doubt have answered before.

Anyway, hello!

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Welcome @EGGD. I am so glad you found this site early. I am tagging @daisy1 As you may not have seen the welcome information.

Type 2 is easy but hard to manage. Easy in that once you find the level of carbohydrate you can tolerate, your numbers will come down and you can even manage without any drugs. Hard, because discipline is required to not for example devour shop bought doughnuts or chocolate puddings. The good news is that there are plenty of alternatives, after my dinner today I had a 3rd, yes a third of home made apple pie, with a bowl of nuts and just measured my blood glucose at 4.9 mol (When diagnosed I was over 20 mmol).

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @EGGD welcome. This diagnosis can indeed be a positive thing for many - so far it has given me the kick up the bum I needed to take my nutrition more seriously and I already feel a lot better for it and thanks to lowering carbs am no longer in a vicious cycle of food addiction. Good luck with your new job too, sounds exciting.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Hi @EGGD. I was diagnosed Type 2 nearly 3 years ago with a level of .c20mmols and was, like you, placed on Gliclazide. It has some effect but it was only by altering my diet and keeping notes of my meter readings, the food I was eating and meds I was on that I was able to get in control of my blood sugar levels. As I made progress, I came off Gliclazide (having informed my doctor) to see what impact diet alone was having. I never went back on it...but that was my choice and if it works for you that's great. I would advise that if you do choose to try a low carb diet like many of us here...I would suggest you do keep a check on your levels (through self testing regularly) as combined with Gliclazide you might experience some hypos (if you are eating too few carbs). Good luck.

Reactions: Prem51

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hello and Welcome @EGGD to the Forum :).

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Diagnosis turned my life around, from bad diet to proper nutrition, no more junk. Got serious about exercise, educated myself over the years about diabetes and still pursue that aspect whenever possible. The more you know, the better. Stayed well clear of diabetes association dietary advice and likewise with the low fat advice dished out by the heart association.

Maintained a HBA1c of 41 or 5.9% for years.... untill my pancreas decided it was worn out due to cystic fibrosis.

When you get the levels down, it really will give you a big lift in confidence. I think some take the news hard and others take the bull by the horns, you seem to be the latter.

Good luck and welcome.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@EGGD

Hello EGGD and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help. Good luck with your new job!

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Reactions: Hansenguy62

EGGD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome @EGGD. I am so glad you found this site early. I am tagging @daisy1 As you may not have seen the welcome information.

Type 2 is easy but hard to manage. Easy in that once you find the level of carbohydrate you can tolerate, your numbers will come down and you can even manage without any drugs. Hard, because discipline is required to not for example devour shop bought doughnuts or chocolate puddings. The good news is that there are plenty of alternatives, after my dinner today I had a 3rd, yes a third of home made apple pie, with a bowl of nuts and just measured my blood glucose at 4.9 mol (When diagnosed I was over 20 mmol).
Thank you very much - for the welcome and pointer to the info package! The learning curve has been eased considerably thanks to the information on this forum and I am so pleased to have found it. Your apple pie sounds delish - walking by a patisserie today - I had to stop and just stare! Window shopping from now on!

EGGD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @EGGD welcome. This diagnosis can indeed be a positive thing for many - so far it has given me the kick up the bum I needed to take my nutrition more seriously and I already feel a lot better for it and thanks to lowering carbs am no longer in a vicious cycle of food addiction. Good luck with your new job too, sounds exciting.
Thanks very much - and glad you also felt the kick up the bum...same here. Challenges for me are going to be hotel stays and how to work out the carbs with meals in restaurants - but it is doable I am sure. Very early days after diagnosis so absorbing as much as I can, as quickly as I can. I feel like a fish out of water.... :) All the best!

EGGD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @EGGD. I was diagnosed Type 2 nearly 3 years ago with a level of .c20mmols and was, like you, placed on Gliclazide. It has some effect but it was only by altering my diet and keeping notes of my meter readings, the food I was eating and meds I was on that I was able to get in control of my blood sugar levels. As I made progress, I came off Gliclazide (having informed my doctor) to see what impact diet alone was having. I never went back on it...but that was my choice and if it works for you that's great. I would advise that if you do choose to try a low carb diet like many of us here...I would suggest you do keep a check on your levels (through self testing regularly) as combined with Gliclazide you might experience some hypos (if you are eating too few carbs). Good luck.
Hi there! It's an interesting world I've entered with the type 2 diagnosis. I've got a bunch of side effects with the medication but it is all manageable thankfully - and it's brought the BG level down to 6.8 mmol on average - but it has been less than a week. I am also testing regularly and modifying my diet completely. My first self-blood test - well, not sure what I did wrong, but it looked like a Hannibal Lecter picnic gone wrong - but thankfully getting better. Discipline will be key. Appreciate the welcome!

EGGD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome and good luck with the new job.
Thanks! I hope to able to share more as I get used to this new world. Time is so limited with the clinical professionals so having the forum is such a great advantage. In a 30 minute double appointment - there's just not enough time to get it all out! As I said, so many questions already answered here along with noting very very similar experiences from others relieves some of the anxiety.

EGGD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Diagnosis turned my life around, from bad diet to proper nutrition, no more junk. Got serious about exercise, educated myself over the years about diabetes and still pursue that aspect whenever possible. The more you know, the better. Stayed well clear of diabetes association dietary advice and likewise with the low fat advice dished out by the heart association.

Maintained a HBA1c of 41 or 5.9% for years.... untill my pancreas decided it was worn out due to cystic fibrosis.

When you get the levels down, it really will give you a big lift in confidence. I think some take the news hard and others take the bull by the horns, you seem to be the latter.

Good luck and welcome.
Thanks very much for the welcome. Certainly, I had some feelings of self-recrimination about junk food, that one too many beer, not going to the gym (at all) and even cursing the genes, but in the end, and very quickly a positive frame of mind appeared and harnessing that I think is as important as the medication and diet/exercise pro-activity. Appreciate your welcome again! All the best.

EGGD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@EGGD

Hello EGGD and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help. Good luck with your new job!

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.
Great stuff. Thanks for the wishes on the new job. It was quite the day. At the surgery " I am afraid you have diabetes type 2" and 60 mins later the phone rings "Congratulations".... This forum is simply brilliant - and hopefully, as I say I will be able to contribute lucidly as the time move on! In the meantime, I will be asking loads. I've lost 3 lbs in a week, and will try to maintain that level until my target weight is achieved (I'm c. 20 lbs too heavy for my current weight and height). Having just been to the gym, bending down to untie my shoe laces was a challenge...ich! Thanks again

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Thank you very much - for the welcome and pointer to the info package! The learning curve has been eased considerably thanks to the information on this forum and I am so pleased to have found it. Your apple pie sounds delish - walking by a patisserie today - I had to stop and just stare! Window shopping from now on!

My wife who is not diabetic had a supermarket cake last week and commented how sweet it is. This tastes better than it looks, my first attempt at apple pie (my wife's was better looking, but I will get there). Anyway after eating a third yesterday (and just finished the rest a couple of hours ago), I woke to a 4.2 fasting blood glucose (ingredients, no sugar, 110 grams of almond meal, 110 grams of fibre flour, 1 quarter cup of mixed butter and coconut oil, 2 eggs and 2 teaspoons of baobob, baked crust for 15 minutes, then added granny smiths cut up 2 apples, cinnamon and cooked for another 15 minutes. I ate with some full fat Greek yogurt yesterday and today with crunchy peanut butter:

20180202_175443.jpg

I have home made biscuits and other deserts such as the cheese cake below:
CheeseCakejpg.jpg

Obviously you can't live off of deserts, but just wanted to show it is possible to have treats. In the early stages we used to make regular cakes with half the sugar in the recipe, but the flour was still too carby. Almond flour / meal and coconut flour are low carb alternatives, and Stevia and Xylitol are good sugar substitutes. For closer to regular flour, both FibeFlour and Lo-Dough are good substitutes. The bottom line is that for good diabetic control where possible cook with real food.

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My wife who is not diabetic had a supermarket cake last week and commented how sweet it is. This tastes better than it looks, my first attempt at apple pie (my wife's was better looking, but I will get there). Anyway after eating a third yesterday (and just finished the rest a couple of hours ago), I woke to a 4.2 fasting blood glucose (ingredients, no sugar, 110 grams of almond meal, 110 grams of fibre flour, 1 quarter cup of mixed butter and coconut oil, 2 eggs and 2 teaspoons of baobob, baked crust for 15 minutes, then added granny smiths cut up 2 apples, cinnamon and cooked for another 15 minutes. I ate with some full fat Greek yogurt yesterday and today with crunchy peanut butter:

View attachment 25115

I have home made biscuits and other deserts such as the cheese cake below:
View attachment 25116

Obviously you can't live off of deserts, but just wanted to show it is possible to have treats. In the early stages we used to make regular cakes with half the sugar in the recipe, but the flour was still too carby. Almond flour / meal and coconut flour are low carb alternatives, and Stevia and Xylitol are good sugar substitutes. For closer to regular flour, both FibeFlour and Lo-Dough are good substitutes. The bottom line is that for good diabetic control where possible cook with real food.
Please share cheesecake recipe, it looks AMAZING, as does the pie...

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello there @EGGD - welcome aboard.

To be honest, I'd advise you not to fret too much about your fab new job.

I'm assuming you'll have notice to work, before starting your new job (unless it's an internal move), so you'll have a bit of time to grasp the basics and get you on your way.

I learned I was T2 three weeks before going off on a 9 month sailing trip in the Tropics, so a long way from the NHS Andrew sometimes rather a long way from dry land, never mind medical services. I went and I was fine, although I broke my trip at four months, just to ensure I was doing OK. By then I had improved my HbA1c from 73 to 37. Needless to say I was content to get back and complete my trip.

Congratulations on the new job. I hope you enjoy the travel.