There’s no accounting for stupidity

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Well what can I say with over 41 years experience of diabetes I have been stupid ! Not the first time in my life I might add ,
My blood sugars have been terrible for about the last 3 days , so this morning I awoke with a bs of 14 feeling like ****, so I gave myself some short acting insulin and about 2 hrs later blood sugar was 19 not eaten anything , so I tested my pen ( again) it was then I noticed I’d put my long acting insulin cartridge in my short acting pen , so god knows how much Basel insulin I’ve taken recently , anyways have given myself a good dose of “ proper insulin “ ,
It goes to show that even after 41 years we still can get it wrong , I’m off now to the bathroom to steam up the mirror write stupid on it and stare at it for an hour lol

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Ushthetaff you will not be first to do that and won't be the last.
My advice is not to beat yourself up for making a human mistake doing something most people don't have to worry about but keep your hypo treatment close to hand, especially during the night, in case that extra basal comes up to bite you.

Reactions: M@

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m off now to the bathroom to steam up the mirror write stupid on it and stare at it for an hour lol
Sounds like a perfect solution to me! :)

Or maybe write it on your fridge door to remind you when you grab a new penfill next time. :D

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I wonder if there would be a diabetic market for an
"Oops I mixed up my basal/bolus
AGAIN"
t-shirt/badge

I'd be a taker.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Well what can I say with over 41 years experience of diabetes I have been stupid ! Not the first time in my life I might add ,
My blood sugars have been terrible for about the last 3 days , so this morning I awoke with a bs of 14 feeling like ****, so I gave myself some short acting insulin and about 2 hrs later blood sugar was 19 not eaten anything , so I tested my pen ( again) it was then I noticed I’d put my long acting insulin cartridge in my short acting pen , so god knows how much Basel insulin I’ve taken recently , anyways have given myself a good dose of “ proper insulin “ ,
It goes to show that even after 41 years we still can get it wrong , I’m off now to the bathroom to steam up the mirror write stupid on it and stare at it for an hour lol
Check it again in an hour. :)

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Glad to report things are now back to normal ! I’m out of the bathroom and I think the misty message has sunk in , blood sugar is sitting happily at 5.6 but I do realise that it could drop so it’s a case of more blood testing today , I suppose there is a lesson to be learn , not to be complacent no matter how much or a routine your in , and no matter what happens don’t panic there is always a solution, my little adventure of stupidity won’t cause me any long term harm as it’s an isolated incident , it’s just part and parcel of diabetes and experience

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Glad you're ok @Ushthetaff I think we can all wear the stupid badge for this one - it's a very easy mistake to make too, just a minor distraction and boom.. i've done it myself twice doh !!

Still sharing this is a good reminder for all of us to be extra vigilant.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My Peak Stupid was to do what you did but the other way around.
Stayed up all night eating Ferrero Rocher so wasn't all bad.
First Know Yourself then Love Yourself (including the stupid bits).

Reactions: iwilltouchyourcat

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
AGAIN"
t-shirt/badge

I'd be a taker.
The main thing is not to prick the bolus instead of the basal when you go to sleep (once I did it) :)

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
AGAIN"
t-shirt/badge

I'd be a taker.
It is not t-shirt/badge, but your idea is so cool that I drew this...
Screenshot_20220506_233855_com.vkontakte.android.png

Last edited:

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
The main thing is not to prick the bolus instead of the basal when you go to sleep (once I did it) :)
I've done it ... on two separate times. :bigtears:
The first was the worse because we were on holiday and didn't have as much glucose as I feared I'd need....

jonathan183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It should have been easy to design this sort of thing out ... make the cartridge incompatible with the pen. It won't help if you pick up the wrong pen :(

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I. Have 2 different Coloured pens blue for bolus, silver for Basel but owing to the stupidity factor I put the wrong cartridge in the wrong pen ,,, doh have to say I’ve taken wrong amount of bolus numerous times but it’s first time I’ve injected my Basel instead of my bolus , but it’s made me check cartridge more often , goes to prove which I’ve been saying for years accidents are fine has long as u learn from them other wise they’re just a pain in the bum

Reactions: Antje77