Theres no need to be aggressive

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Like other areas of life abuse creeps in to some threads. I was diagnosed 7 Dec and my Dr said best read up about it because not likely to see DN until Jan 18. Little did I know how fortunate that was because I discovered this forum of amazing people who had walked the walk. No HCP would have told me about lchf as a choice to adopt. After 10 days reading I joined and continue to be educated by the experiences of people who are so giving and patient with repetitive questions. So if you ask a question on the forum you must need help so please just stop being rude if you dont like the reply. Its just not fair.

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey PenguinMum, I couldn't agree with you more....sometimes we need to just agree to disagree and move on, eh? I really appreciate the input people contribute to the Forum and the thoughtfulness of so many.....we need to be as encouraging as possible towards each other, as this journey is not easy for any of us and we needn't be a negative in one another's lives......Blessings/L

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
There's a few ingrates, no question. Along with some who don't have the courtesy to ever respond to helpful advice. Throw in some naysayers and you complete the picture. Thank God they're far outweighed by the selfless contributions of the many

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ll never forget how upset I felt when I was when first diagnosed, that night my first post was entitled ‘Shell Shocked’. Luckily I was showered with useful and sympathetic advice and treated gently.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Tone is sometimes very hard to convey in print and misunderstandings can and do arise even in such a supportive enviroment as this one. However, for the most part, we are adults and there is certainly no place for negativity or bickering. Our personalities are as individual as our Diabetes journeys so a little give and take is important.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ll never forget how upset I felt when I was when first diagnosed, that night my first post was entitled ‘Shell Shocked’. Luckily I was showered with useful and sympathetic advice and treated gently.
I think everyone feels that to varying degrees. But I really appreciate you all share and advise on here. Some of you have got your levels to where you want and maintain (and I dont imagine it ever gets easy) but you still have the goodwill to help. Its the best free advice you are going to get anywhere and you should get respect.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think everyone feels that to varying degrees. But I really appreciate you all share and advise on here. Some of you have got your levels to where you want and maintain (and I dont imagine it ever gets easy) but you still have the goodwill to help. Its the best free advice you are going to get anywhere and you should get respect.

I feel I’ve reached the point where I mainly pass on the help that I got, but we can all continue to learn. I’ve achieved an HbA1c level I’m happy with and aim to maintain it, if my body is willing! Weight loss, I still have more to achieve though :banghead:

Reactions: ixi1429 and Prem51

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Discussion and debate is healthy and informative - that's how people learn.
There are ways of disagreeing that don't hurt and encourage continuing discussion. There's almost always a way of prefacing a response to something one disagrees with by a positive comment.

Reactions: Prem51

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to admit I like a good argument whether I am taking part or not. It seems to me that modern society has a rule that nobody is allowed to be offended, where offended is code for holding a different opinion. If posters, particularly newbies, ask questions we should answer them as sympathetically as we can. However, if posters can make statements that are illogical or patently incorrect and they cannot be challenged for fear of causing offence, then the forum is greatly diminished.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I know I've constantly have family life in the background of all my posts.
Mistakes sometimes happens or I press post to give my full attention to little one. Often I'm shortcut from full explanations or more appropriate softer words.
I hope I've never offended anyone... I only ever want to help.
I often say what needs to be said thou. As I'd appreciate the same straight talk when I'm in a quandary.
Sometimes help has to come from yourself. :(
For me too.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
There's a subtle difference twix' argument' and 'discussion.'

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I agree with @Guzzler, I for one am not blessed with either the best grammar or having the widest vocabulary, so it is important to take full context and give some slack. Like @Rachox I am still learning. There have been many discussions on for example how much advice a newbie should be given, with solid points on less initially and equally good points on more, tolerance is key.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There will always be discussion and difference of opinion on any subject but it should be conducted in the proper spirit of the forum. Thats all I am saying. If you come here for help dont get mad when the answer doesnt agree with you.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
There will always be discussion and difference of opinion on any subject but it should be conducted in the proper spirit of the forum. Thats all I am saying. If you come here for help dont get mad when the answer doesnt agree with you.
I agree.

Some people are in denial or ignorant to the right diet for type2s.
I was, but I listened.
Some haven't the grace to listen or time.

We all have different lives, so yes tolerance is needed by everyone.
I'm guilty of being sharp when tired thou. Luckily Mods have helped me out. They know my heart is in the right place but we are only human.

I bet newees get less tolerance due to not, been known as well, as say, we oldies?
So that's where we have to be more open minded and tolerant. Once we get the measure of a poster, it's far easier to understand them. Right?

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree.

Some people are in denial or ignorant to the right diet for type2s.
I was, but I listened.
Some haven't the grace to listen or time.

We all have different lives, so yes tolerance is needed by everyone.
I'm guilty of being sharp when tired thou. Luckily Mods have helped me out. They know my heart is in the right place but we are only human.

I bet newees get less tolerance due to not, been known as well, as say, we oldies?
So that's where we have to be more open minded and tolerant. Once we get the measure of a poster, it's far easier to understand them. Right?
Yes right. We all have lives away from the forum. My thread was not initiated with you regular people in mind who give your heart and soul to try and help. Anyway I rest my case.

leahkian

Well said and the thing is that there are not 2 diabetics alike and you are only offering support and not medical advice. If we were all the same it would be easy but we are not and what works for one person may be no good for another

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all,
I don't want to rock the boat here but we all need to be very careful about how sharp we are with our comments. We get it - it doesn't mean that the newby does. I've seen people refer to comments as 'stupid' - that's not fair. We are all at different points in our journey, understanding, acceptance, denial and burnout. We also need to be aware that there is no intonation with our typed words, and therefore the meaning can be misinterpreted.

Edited to add: And I love you all and consider you all to be part of my huge diabetic family xxx

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hi all,
I don't want to rock the boat here but we all need to be very careful about how sharp we are with our comments. We get it - it doesn't mean that the newby does. I've seen people refer to comments as 'stupid' - that's not fair. We are all at different points in our journey, understanding, acceptance, denial and burnout. We also need to be aware that there is no intonation with our typed words, and therefore the meaning can be misinterpreted.

Edited to add: And I love you all and consider you all to be part of my huge diabetic family xxx

I wanna Divorce ;)

Reactions: DJC3

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Exactly.
Families have there ups and downs, especially when a new dynamic comes into it.
I think we evolve nicely but..... I miss so many who have left. :(
All, in fact.
I like to learn from people's experiences. The more unusual the better for me, but that's my inquisitive nature about the type2 body.
I love diabetes news on here. Especially relevant articles. Love it.. all.