They "think" I have Type 2

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all

Saw the Nurse at the Health Centre yesterday for results of a blood test.
Cholesterol is a tiny bit high at 6.
Am on tablets for high blood pressure.
Glucose reading is very high so I probably have diabetes, no number given.
I won't need insulin.
I have another appointment in January when I will be given metformin and they will talk to me about diet.

I do need to lose weight so am going to be dusting off the bicycle.

My question is, is it normal to be diagnosed but have to wait a few weeks to start medication?

I have no idea how our local GP is fixed for giving out meters and strips, but would it be useful to get something now?

I have a diabetic dog who is just coming through a crisis, I have a meter for him, so I know how useful they can be.

TIANDB

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Hi xfieldok. Worth you ask for your blood readings as it is your right. They are useful for your records going forward.
If they suspect Diabetes you should have more testing to come.. Best luck. Great information and personal testimonials
on this site.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
A second test is standard in diagnosing T2. The test is HbA1c and if you have online access to your records re results then the first result of your HbA1c will be there.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks TIANDB, I think I will get one.

Guzzler, I don't have on-line access. Nothing has been said about further testing.

Reactions: TIANDB

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed, given a prescription and left to get on with it.
Fortunately I read Dr Atkins books way back and so I just went back to low carbing and the situation is resolved.
I only had a single test to start off with - but with a Hba1c of 91 I don't think that it was in any doubt.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have ordered the Codefree so will get it in a few days. Thank you Resurgam I had forgotten about that book. I spent ages in the corner shop picking stuff up and putting it back on the shelf after reading the labels. It is a minefield out there.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I have ordered the Codefree so will get it in a few days. Thank you Resurgam I had forgotten about that book. I spent ages in the corner shop picking stuff up and putting it back on the shelf after reading the labels. It is a minefield out there.

The amount of added sugar in most processed food is scary. The other thing that annoys me is when you are given a carb count per g and then the serving size is given in ml (happened to me with an ice cream when I was on Southend Pier and hypo so I thought I'd treat myself rather than having glucose tablets.)

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Once I have emptied the cupboards, I will be more careful when buying. Just trying to find websites that give values.

Reactions: ndulec

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Hi all

Saw the Nurse at the Health Centre yesterday for results of a blood test.
Cholesterol is a tiny bit high at 6.
Am on tablets for high blood pressure.
Glucose reading is very high so I probably have diabetes, no number given.
I won't need insulin.
I have another appointment in January when I will be given metformin and they will talk to me about diet.

I do need to lose weight so am going to be dusting off the bicycle.

My question is, is it normal to be diagnosed but have to wait a few weeks to start medication?

I have no idea how our local GP is fixed for giving out meters and strips, but would it be useful to get something now?

I have a diabetic dog who is just coming through a crisis, I have a meter for him, so I know how useful they can be.

Ping @daisy1 for the usual welcome to the group.

If they are going to be giving you Metformin in January then they should **** well be giving it to you now!!
Why delay the treatment? Makes no sense. Probably worth asking them why the delay.

It is always useful to get a meter as soon as possible and start testing. This is the first step to taking control, by learning what is good for you to eat and what is not so good.

Get on your bike for fitness, which also helps reduce Insulin Resistance and improve your Blood Glucose (BG) control. However the bad news is that you don't lose weight through exercise (unless you are exercising as much as a professional athlete).

For weight loss, modify what you eat and how much.

The key terms are diet AND exercise. Together they work well, but you need to address what you eat to manage your weight. The good news is that as you take weight off your BG control should improve.

Welcome! Dig in and enjoy all the information.

Reactions: Grannypat

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tipetoo that is a great site, definitely one to bookmark, thank you.

snowmonkey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
might be worth watching the sugar / carbs in the meantime before your next appointment. xmas is lethal for mince pice, christmas pud, chocolate etc

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Will do, fortunately I don't have a sweet tooth. The roast potatoes on the other hand........

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I was lucky when first diagnosed as my young (trainee) GP pointed me to DCUK where I gained far more info and help than anything from the NHS.
One book I bought proved invaluable in developing my understanding of diabetes and diet was Reverse Your Diabetes by Dr David Cavan. It's an easy read and handy to dip into and 'revise' now and then and it proved to be enormous help to me in getting a grip of what had been a sky high HbA1c.
Thanks to DCUK and the above mentioned book my GP reckons I'm now in remission.

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Welcome @xfieldok A few points too start.
1) Do get your bg reading from your health care professionals, you are entitled to know it and it helps to know where you are in the spectrum of diabetes and what you are aiming for.
2) As you have already indicated, a meter is a vital piece of equipment to know what is going on inside your body. Bear in mind when purchasing that the ongoing expense is the price of the strips.
3) The reason that you have not been given Metformin before Christmas is that they think they are being kind. The side effects of this particular drug on many people could ruin a Christmas anywhere. Look at the NICE and other websites for further details.
4) As soon as you have your meter start a food and exercise diary, until then cut out breads, pasta, fruit and below ground vegetables, these are the biggest culprits for carbs which turn to sugar to be digested.
5) Start brisk walks as often as you can, if only for a few minutes it will start to make a difference. Some people find that if they lose weight quickly it seems to 'reboot' their system, others that a gradual weight loss brings their readings down sufficiently, others do not need to lose weight - you have to find your own way.
A diagnosis of diabetes is often a shock, we have all been in that position, so please ask questions, be prepared to get varying advice and to find your own way. Best wishes

Gavinaroberts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Literally today been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and feel very confused. Yet to see dietition and have follow up appointment for treatment. any advice? Supposed to be going out with the lads tomorrow night but scared about high blood sugar now. Big shock!!

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you Pheonix55, that is good advice. I am certainly not frightened of asking questions!

The diabetic dog was a steep learning curve, I am pretty laid back about my own situation. I am sure that will change at some point. I am glad I found this forum

Reactions: Gavinaroberts

Gavinaroberts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've cut out bread pasta and sweet things but been having lots of meat, fruit and veg (Not potatoes). Did not realise fruit was bad.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Literally today been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and feel very confused. Yet to see dietition and have follow up appointment for treatment. any advice? Supposed to be going out with the lads tomorrow night but scared about high blood sugar now. Big shock!!
Enjoy tomorrow night Gavin -one night won't matter. Living with diabetes isn't a race it's a marathon and you've plenty time to get your diet and treatment sorted out. As an initial step try to cut out or significantly reduce refined sugars and then start about reducing your carbohydrate intake. It will take a month or so to get a handle on diet, so just don't worry - most of us have been there and we are still here!
Diabetes is a condition that either manages us, or we manage it. And the latter isn't really all that difficult.