things I am grateful for

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
After wallowing in self pity for the last two weeks I have decided to try to look at the things I am grateful for with this diagnosis. I'd love to hear from others as top what they are grateful for

1 this forum!
2 the internet- easy to find recipes and info
3 diagnosis before any complications
4 apps like mysugr which help
5 blood tests- instant feedback
6 I've lost some weight- always good for me
7 the fact that I can afford all the test strips I want
8 the fact that my monitor syncs with my sugar so I don't have to put in the readings myself- no room to cheat.
9 the members of this forum!!

I have to say the instant feedback of the monitor is much better than the feedback from scales which takes a lot longer to show results.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@VashtiB thats a very positive way to look at things and keep motivated. Pretty sure the scales will follow the meter - improving your BG and reducing insulin resistance will help with weight loss.

For me personally I now regard the diabetes diagnosis as a very positive thing. It gave me the kick up the proverbial I needed and the resulting actions have transformed my health and my life. Healthier, fitter, happier, lighter than I’ve been in my adult life.

And yes, this forum rocks! Keep posting and updating with your progress, it really helps.

Route 66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
1. I am most grateful for the diagnosis itself. For a few years, you feel unwell in lots of different ways and can't quite put your finger on it to visit the GP. Its good to find out the cause at long last so that you can deal with it.

2. The relief of no longer having the raging thirst and no longer going to the loo all the time.

3. My Diabetic Nurse and GP who have been seeing me every two weeks and always have time to explain things clearly and arrange tests etc. The NHS still works.

4. My meter so that I can monitor things properly.

5. The insulin injections which make me feel better as each day passes although I will be glad when I get on to tablets instead.

6. I am grateful that my hbac1 is heading down.

7. I am grateful that I found this forum and the wealth of information on it.

8. I am grateful for the support that my partner gives me and for the fact that as each day passes I feel slightly better than the one before.

9. Having suffered a heart attack as a result of diabetes, above all I am grateful that I am still here and plan on a good future living with it. So like you, I am avoiding self pity.

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
What a great way of looking at things!

I am grateful for less pain and easier movement. I am grateful for better mood and increased confidence in the future. And I too am grateful to the members, volunteers and staff of DCUK.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I certainly haven't come far enough to be grateful for my diagnosis, but that aside, I am grateful for this forum and its members.

Reactions: jjraak and Antje77
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I am grateful to be here, as there is so much more I want to see, learn and enjoy, but, can't add diabetes to that.

Reactions: jjraak and Antje77

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
  1. I am grateful for this place, and that there's so much information about low carbing available on the internet. I'd've been following the horrid advice of my dieticians otherwise, and would have been on insulin right now, maybe minus a toe or two, haha!
  2. I am a difficult person to get close to, but I managed to let my guard down once, and that got me a fellow diabetic-friend. First proper friend I made in decades.
  3. I can get out and about, which I couldn't before without face-planting. 10k or more is do-able. Used to be half a kilometer was a real problem and a car would be considered.
  4. I enjoy food more now.
  5. I got to feel like I had some say in things, control of a situation that at first seemed beyond my grasp. I am a bigger ***kicker than I thought I was.
  6. Got to be extra grateful for the support of my husband and my family.
  7. For my diabetic cat, who showed me you can be diabetic and still be fluffy. (I used his meter to check my levels, that's how I initially found out about the T2. The HbA1c confirmed it.)
Edited by mod to remove poorly disguised profanity

Last edited by a moderator:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m just grateful for the diagnosis itself which has lead to so much more. As a result of receiving my type 2 diagnosis and discovering DCUK, I have made life style changes which have in addition to kicking my type 2 into ‘remission’ have resulted in me being the lightest I have been for 25 odd years, my arthritis is way better, as is my asthma, I sleep better, I feel more alert and I have made some very good friends via this forum, both virtual and for real :happy: