1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

This 600kcal thing

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by LittleGreyCat, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Etty

Etty Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I salute you, Patch and wish you all the best with this.

2. Etty

Etty Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

phoenix, do you have any information on the follow-up diet? I know these semi-starvation diets were tried on thousands of overweight people in the early 70's and before, and they were given up as a viable treatment for obesity because no one knew what to do when the diet was finished. I guess something like Atkins induction would be best, and a very slow increase in carbs over many months. Any sudden increase in carbs would be fatal!

3. bowell

bowell · Well-Known Member

Goto bottom of page of this LINK and you will find all four phases
    http://www.optifast.com.au/why-optifast-vlcd.aspx

Intensive phase (8 weeks) well we all know what this is now

Download the Additional Allowances PDF
    http://www.optifast.com.au/media/1786/optifast allowed foods.pdf

Bob

4. Sid Bonkers

Sid Bonkers Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Am I just cynical or am I the only person who sees who big a kick this 'research' has given to the sales of Optifast?

A handful of people eat a commercially available diet plan for 8 weeks and almost immediately it is being discussed on every diet and diabetes forum on the planet.

Useful research or viral advertising at its best?

5. lovinglife

lovinglife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

No sid not just you mate :) - I can't get my head round people latching onto a study that was done on less people than my hubby has siblings :roll: (big catholic family :lol: ) and less than half of them successful - on a personal note I can't stand milky drinks and the thought of drinking any of those shakes makes me gag :twisted:

But Patch I do wish you success in your experiment - even if it's just weight loss that will be a bonus and I admire your will power!

6. alaska

alaska · Well-Known Member

I expect a bit of both and personally think the diet work just as well with a sensible (real food) alternative to Optifast.

7. bowell

Public can not get the stuff direct in the UK ? or very Hard
    only via ebay and the USA or AUS

Patch has an other brand that sells in Lloyds Cemist :roll:

Quote form video
    You will have to click twice and enter Youtube to watch
    [youtube]96KvMMEav6s[/youtube]

8. pianoman

pianoman · Well-Known Member

The study was based at the University of Newcastle. The full article* lists the supplier as "Optifast; Nestlé Nutrition, Croydon, UK" :?:

I agree with Sid... this very small and limited study has received promotion and attention out of all proportion. At least 3 threads on this forum alone. Maybe people are enticed by the promise of a "quick fix"? I am not so sure that this is the best or safest way to achieve these results.

*http://www.diabetologia-journal.org/Lim.pdf

9. bowell

Think its Trade only ie Hospitals
    But if you can find some place you can pick it up on the Hi street I Know Patch would be well pleased

I live very near the study 4miles and two members of the study go to my clinic
    and still doing well with no Meds
    I remember the request for volunteers up on the wall

Optifast was supplied to the study direct and free of charge

I have also had Optifast given to me in Hospital when i could not swallow solids
    after peg feeder was removed

You may be able to get it on prescription ? as i had it in hospital ?
    like my catheters made here ,But you have devils own job trouble getting hold of them

Nestlé Nutrition, Croydon also make peg feed mix

If you look back i was the first to post the link to the study :wink:

Bob

10. pianoman

pianoman · Well-Known Member

Thanks Bob, that makes sense.

I was born in Mayday Hospital, Thornton Heath and grew up on Sydenham Rd in Croydon. I remember the Nestlé building! It feels weird to see my old stomping ground coming up in this thread.

11. bowell

I live NE now 15 years ,I Org come from the Ascot area

12. Kenny

Kenny · Well-Known Member

Yo Patch! I'm with you on 'this 600kcal thing'. Today is day 2 of my Herbalife 600cal diet. I'm going the whole 8 weeks.

Let's stick it to the whingers who say 'I don't believe it' and 'Very dangerous' and all that nonsense.

13. Osidge

Osidge Type 2 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

Kenny and Patch

Brave men! Do keep us in the loop and, above all, take care.

Osidge

14. Patch

Patch Type 2 · Well-Known Member

15. humph

humph · Well-Known Member

I started this diet on Monday, on a mix of Optifast and Optislim. Optislim is very similar in make up to Optifast, not sure if there is a link.

I am off all medication and 5 days in I have not felt hungry, my energy levels are way up and my blood sugars are almost back to normal levels. I have also lost just over a stone in weight.

The Optifast shakes taste great, the Optislim not quite so good.

I am intending to start exercising tomorrow, some weights and a swim and then slowly increase that. If my energy levels stay this good, I hope to be in the gym 5 times a week at week eight.

16. Kenny

Yes!! We few, we happy few, we band of brothers... I too will start exercising once I get out of the ketogenic induction phase. Man, we are going to shed some weight!

Humph... what is your weight and BMI? And how long have you had diabetes?

17. humph

humph · Well-Known Member

Hi Kenny,

BMI of 41 and 19 stone (120kg).

I have had diabetes for 9 years.

18. viviennem

viviennem Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Almost you tempt me to join you . . . if I lost a lot of weight really quickly my skin would not fit at all :shock: .

Please keep posting your progress - I'm very interested.

Viv 8)

19. Kenny

Viv... the research paper says that all the fat was gone from the liver and pancreas after 7 days. You might consider doing this diet for just 7 days, then raising the calories to a more gentle weight loss.

Humph... Don't forget to take photos of yourself as you go along. We are going to rock this world, my friend. If it succeeds I'm going to make a website.

20. NewdestinyX

NewdestinyX · Well-Known Member

Wow.. This is getting exciting. Almost makes ME want to start. I've lost a lot -- but have my last 3 stone to go! And ALL fat burned off LIVER and PANCREAS in just SEVEN DAYS?!?!?!??!?! How did I miss that when I read the study.. We sure of that? I must have read the study 3 times.

Keep us posted gang.. I'm reading all threads.. So it's just Patch, Kenny and Humph so far On the diet?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook