This 8 week 800 calorie a day thing

DaveNN

Good work Jamrox! I found the whole toilet thing could have an impact on the scales, I think on average I was going about once a week (at one point I thought I would literally be stuck on the toilet for a full week, the turd and I having reached a stalemate - apologies for the detail, couldn't think of a suitable metaphor other than 'Donald Trump was being uncharacteristically shy')
May I suggest you watch On the Lavatory with Frank Hovis , he now of Pepper Pig fame. ( John Sparkes).

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Day 18 FBS 5.2
Weight 11st 2lb minus 6lb from Day 1
Waist still 91 cm in red zone .

Haven't "been" to the toiliet since Friday !!!
Think I'll have some porridge and a cup of strong coffee lol
I had exactly the same thing Psyllium Husks mix in with shake each day

Reactions: 2 people

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Well I said it would be warts and all record of the 8weeks.
I tried all the coffee, porridge , hot orange etc and last night had to resort to Ducalx !!!! I honestly don't think I will do that again !!!! Won't go into details but I've lost another pound lol.
My task for today is to increase my fluid intake , I think that's the cause .
I am going to have my "Friday Freedom " tea, I'll be extra strict all day them eat what I want for my tea (dinner lol) about 6.30.
Funny how having one evening off is keeping me on this .
Lost 7lb in 3 weeks so I'm happy with that .
5'7"" and 155lb is ok but I'd like to 147 .

It's funny but hurting my knee has turned out to be a good thing .
I've taken back control of my diabetes and lost 7lb. . Funny how things work out.

Reactions: 5 people

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1456477014.388888.jpg

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a note of sympathy, because I am just recovering from Bursitis in one knee which makes life very frustrating. I am having to struggle to control my weight with the total lack of exercise.
I can sympathise with that I had hip bursitis about 5 years ago it was most painful thing I have ever had

Reactions: 4 people

DaveNN

After a stressful week, I've blobbed on the diet for the day and downed half a bottle of Procesecco QUICKLY ...but will take my bloods in a hour. ;-)
Bloods after my 'tea' ( the lower classes may be reading :) :) ) were only 5.1 so I may have some room for an ickle drink. I wish you all well and will report back to see how my pancreas reacts. Hopefully, it won't throw an wobbly.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
DaveNN I honestly find my Friday freedom tea is keeping me going . I'm still loosing weight so it's all good .

DaveNN

DaveNN I honestly find my Friday freedom tea is keeping me going . I'm still loosing weight so it's all good .
Brillo...sometimes a break is all that's needed.
My bloods are now 4.5mmol.
It's either due to liver processing over 3/4 of a bottle ( the better half had a glass) of fruity alcoholic goodness ( so is ignoring the sugars) OR I've found a cure.

Hope it's the latter, suspect it's the former.

zzcanasta

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed pre-D about a month ago, and have been following the blood sugar diet for the past three weeks. So far I've lost 11lbs, significantly reduced my waistline, blood sugar and cholesterol levels, feel fitter and healthier than I've done for the past 30 years and sleep like a baby. No cravings, either, after the first couple of days - apart from an occasional yearning for a piece of buttered white toast...
The point about Mosley's diet is that - despite some of the views above - it doesn't advocate a perpetual regime of 800 calories per day. The clue's in the title - 'The 8-week Blood Sugar Diet'. For most people, that period is long enough to reduce their blood sugar levels to near-enough normal and readjust their natural insulin production. It's a kick-start, in other words, and Mosley is at pains to point that out. Along with details of the research that led to the diet, the main thrust of the book advocates lifestyle changes (eg more exercise, less alcohol and high-carb foods) and the adoption of a 'Mediterranean' diet (not pasta and pizza, though).
Mosley trained as a doctor, is married to a GP and has a son at medical school, so is no amateur in this field. He also has a lot of backing from highly respected medics with considerably more expertise in the treatment of diabetes and obesity than your average celebrity diet guru or mail-order 'nutritionist'. The main strength, though, is that the recommendations in the book are evidence-based - ie they've proved effective for thousands of people and have been subjected to extensive research study by people who really do know what they're talking about, medically speaking.
The diet isn't for everyone - as Mosley is careful to point out (he offers alternatives) - but then, no diet is. For those who are interested, there's a website that contains most of the ideas from the book, along with a load of recipes (which, judging by those I've tried, are excellent) at https://thebloodsugardiet.com/. The food industry will hate it.:)

Reactions: 7 people

zzcanasta

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Excuse me! You have been rather rude and judgemental here. I have tried that approach before. That's how I know it doesn't work. That's why I'm slating It! Eating 800 calories slowed down my metabolism resulting in yo-yo dieting and me eventually more than doubling my weight. I consider @Jamrox to be a friend. Now what sort of friend would I be to her if I didn't warn her and say to her "Don't make the same mistakes that I did?" The point I was making was that after the 8 weeks it is very difficult to get back to any sort of 'normal' eating pattern which doesn't result in regaining the weight that has been lost and putting even more back on. I have been there so many times. I wish I had never tried this diet which I first did 35 years ago, that's how I know very low calorie diets were around back then. I always speak from experience I'm not plucking anything out of the air. You say you have lost 2 stones in 6 weeks? What then? What happens when you stop? Next time you try it you will lose less than that in 6 weeks. I know I've been there but it doesn't sound as if you have.

Yes you can lose huge amounts of weight on 800 calories. Of course you can, you are starving yourself. Jamrox doesn't need to do that, she only has a few pounds to lose. Why use a sledgehammer to crack a nut?

Please read the book - there is lots of advice on how to maintain healthy body weight/blood sugar levels based on case studies. Mosley was diagnosed some years ago and has been following variations of this diet ever since - and has not regained the weight he lost. From the research cited, that appears to be the rule rather than the exception.

DaveNN

Please read the book - there is lots of advice on how to maintain healthy body weight/blood sugar levels based on case studies. Mosley was diagnosed some years ago and has been following variations of this diet ever since - and has not regained the weight he lost. From the research cited, that appears to be the rule rather than the exception.
I agree but let's pls not turn this into a dispute, we are all in this together.
I got the book the moment it was released by ITunes and have stuck to this diet....NO...a revised lifestyle...for about 3 weeks now.
My weight loss has also stalled and I'm damned by my own advice that the hardest pounds to lose are the first and the last.
By low carbing and then a more Med/Paleo diet I've lost 2st13lb, so I'm a lb off my goal. Due to a combination of weight loss and change in lifestyle my BG is totally normal, with PP's now in the 5's and low 6's and morning readings are now always below 6- with 5 this morning after a few large glasses of fizzy stuff. RESULT!!!
It may not work for everyone and it could be that those who turned to carbs in the past still have a need for them, whether that is a form of addiction is another discussion.
Let's not confuse the Newcastle Diet with his dietary advice they aren't the same. And agree that one cap doesn't fit all..I wish you and all weekly.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
I was diagnosed pre-D about a month ago, and have been following the blood sugar diet for the past three weeks. So far I've lost 11lbs, significantly reduced my waistline, blood sugar and cholesterol levels, feel fitter and healthier than I've done for the past 30 years and sleep like a baby. No cravings, either, after the first couple of days - apart from an occasional yearning for a piece of buttered white toast...
The point about Mosley's diet is that - despite some of the views above - it doesn't advocate a perpetual regime of 800 calories per day. The clue's in the title - 'The 8-week Blood Sugar Diet'. For most people, that period is long enough to reduce their blood sugar levels to near-enough normal and readjust their natural insulin production. It's a kick-start, in other words, and Mosley is at pains to point that out. Along with details of the research that led to the diet, the main thrust of the book advocates lifestyle changes (eg more exercise, less alcohol and high-carb foods) and the adoption of a 'Mediterranean' diet (not pasta and pizza, though).
Mosley trained as a doctor, is married to a GP and has a son at medical school, so is no amateur in this field. He also has a lot of backing from highly respected medics with considerably more expertise in the treatment of diabetes and obesity than your average celebrity diet guru or mail-order 'nutritionist'. The main strength, though, is that the recommendations in the book are evidence-based - ie they've proved effective for thousands of people and have been subjected to extensive research study by people who really do know what they're talking about, medically speaking.
The diet isn't for everyone - as Mosley is careful to point out (he offers alternatives) - but then, no diet is. For those who are interested, there's a website that contains most of the ideas from the book, along with a load of recipes (which, judging by those I've tried, are excellent) at https://thebloodsugardiet.com/. The food industry will hate it.:)

I've read the book too , I struck a cord with me . I've controlled with reduced carb and activity for a long time but was going off track because of an injured knee. This has definitely got me back on track , I lost 2 stone on my original regime so don't have s lot to loose anyway . Lost 7lb in 3 weeks . My aim was to big put any on while my knee was : is injured

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
I agree but let's pls not turn this into a dispute, we are all in this together.
I got the book the moment it was released by ITunes and have stuck to this diet....NO...a revised lifestyle...for about 3 weeks now.
My weight loss has also stalled and I'm damned by my own advice that the hardest pounds to lose are the first and the last.
By low carbing and then a more Med/Paleo diet I've lost 2st13lb, so I'm a lb off my goal. Due to a combination of weight loss and change in lifestyle my BG is totally normal, with PP's now in the 5's and low 6's and morning readings are now always below 6- with 5 this morning after a few large glasses of fizzy stuff. RESULT!!!
It may not work for everyone and it could be that those who turned to carbs in the past still have a need for them, whether that is a form of addiction is another discussion.
Let's not confuse the Newcastle Diet with his dietary advice they aren't the same. And agree that one cap doesn't fit all..I wish you and all weekly.[/QUOTE

Up your exercise a lot for a couple of days and you ll loose the pound

DaveNN

I might just try this exercise malarkey. TBH I usually do 20+ miles a week ...but I seem to have frozen my toes, probably chilblains. I will see the Dr just in case. I can't see it being a major issue with blood circulation, as I'm 'blessed' with hairs on each toe joint...this supposedly is a good thing as each hair follicle has its own blood supply, supposedly.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am maintaining healthy blood sugar and maintaining my weight, I just can't lose any more. I think the big key in your post for myself is the word 'He' . Weight loss can be much more complicated in women.