This forum "v" The NHS (sort of)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In not for one minute blaming GP's or anyone like, I know it's the policies they have to stick to I just can't get my head around it there is so much information about low carbing why can't the higher powers that be change and re-educate themselves??
Maybe there is more money to be made in pushing carbs onto people!?
The money is made by surgeries getting extra funds for Type 2's and pushing statins onto people.. I'm afraid that is why some are complacent and not interested in other methods of helping.. others are just out of date and don't read new science. A few are on board with our way of control (but they are the few). Since being diagnosed my faith in medics and the NHS in general has diminished dramatically and I try to avoid my local surgery except for blood tests.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I found information on the net which showed that by putting men who'd had heart attacks onto a low fat diet, more of them died than if they'd been on 'normal' diets - I worked out the expected rate myself as no one else seemed to have done so. I pointed this out and the information vanished. They were showing the numbers from records picked out to match up two groups of men.
Low carb eating is not a new thing - look up Banting to see the dear man and his sixpenny booklet on how to lose weight. I did Atkins for decades - even throughout my first pregnancy, and the baby is now a 6ft 3in daddy of three boys of his own.

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
You guys have pretty thoroughly discussed this topic, I just want to add that I went through this phase also-first thinking this site was sponsored by the NIH (our NHS equivalent) and then finding out that it wasn't. I am glad to see @Terryrhino posting a question for the day again-I was worried about information overload and burnout. And not everyone on the forum is low carbing I found out when I went through this phase-also it is helpful to put some numbers with low carb as different individuals define it very differently. Anywhere from 0 to 180 carbs per day with 50-100 being the most common range I have run into. Extreme low carbers write more than many others but actually are in the minority on the forum. Also, as we have discussed before, an individual must eat for all the working parts of their body and many of us have other concerns we must take into account as we self tailor our diets.
Having said all that I have to add that I am having better control this last two weeks than I have ever had before in 57 years of blood sugar issues. Watching and counting the number of carbs I am eating is doing it.

Last edited:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
okay you have been through a lot.. yes and sometimes being fat is good.. or just a little fat, also when it comes to servere longterm illness affecting appetite it can be lifesaving to have some fat on ones body..

how come your whole Family have been low carbing in the first place... it is kind of a newer phenomenon to eat low carb isn´t it ?
but really good to have people that can be the proof of low carbs is not a "killer"

Just the way we were brought up... my dad did the cooking. My mum didnt know how to boil an egg!!

The only high carbs we ever had was my nans homemade rice pudding. Even between 6 of us it lasted two days- not big portions!

We were also taught never to leave anything on a plate... laugh... at home I always lick my plate..

I was also odd as a child (it continued to adult life!!). I didn't eat properly till 8 years old. My parents left me at home with my nan and took my brothers on holiday and said until I learnt to eat everything I would never go with them. I ate after!! Before that though apparently I was brought up on sausages and gold top milk with complan. Seems in later life I'm having to revert back again a lot-lol to my childhood!

We were just brought up with meat and veg and no snacking. Nans rice pud was the only weekend treat once a fortnight.

Was that unusual in the 60's and 70's. To be honest I can't even remember having breakfast... I know that after I left home at 15 I never had breakfast and most days never ate anything till evening..

Guess I jyst had an odd childhood...:):).

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just the way we were brought up... my dad did the cooking. My mum didnt know how to boil an egg!!

The only high carbs we ever had was my nans homemade rice pudding. Even between 6 of us it lasted two days- not big portions!

We were also taught never to leave anything on a plate... laugh... at home I always lick my plate..

I was also odd as a child (it continued to adult life!!). I didn't eat properly till 8 years old. My parents left me at home with my nan and took my brothers on holiday and said until I learnt to eat everything I would never go with them. I ate after!! Before that though apparently I was brought up on sausages and gold top milk with complan. Seems in later life I'm having to revert back again a lot-lol to my childhood!

We were just brought up with meat and veg and no snacking. Nans rice pud was the only weekend treat once a fortnight.

Was that unusual in the 60's and 70's. To be honest I can't even remember having breakfast... I know that after I left home at 15 I never had breakfast and most days never ate anything till evening..

Guess I jyst had an odd childhood...:):).

yes I think it is interesting the way you were brought up... with daddy never thinking of sweets. what a rough way to leave you at home just because you didn´t eat everything...
yes funny return to old ways of eating ... but now you do it out of necessety aren´t you ?

my mother was the healthy cook, but my father always brought home lots of sweets of all kinds also the artifical kinds with fake banana taste and lots of Nutella ..I think it is good I wasn´t brought up alone by him.. :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Dad never thought of sweets.

For Christmas (this was a lot of money in 1971)-still is... us kids were given a cheque for £100 on xmas day and a board game... that was the tradition set... we always played cards a d board games with family over Christmas and we were all taught unwittingly to save our money until the sales!!!

I can remember not liking marmite but was never given nutella!

It did me good for parents to tell me I was too much hassle to take on holiday. It was first time elder brothers had been on hol and it was to Majorca. It did really teach me to eat everything. My Nan looked after me so I wasn't alone. I got to sleep with her in mum and dads double bed... my brother and I used to argue whose turn it was to sleep with Mum when Dad was working night duty.

Yes, nowadays its necessary to resort to mushy food.. and I miss normal food-lol!! Penance for being a brat when small!! Got to laugh at it all really...

S

Shar67

I'm Type 2 and basically referring to other T2's
I don't no enough to fully have an opinion or explain this properly.
but as I see it nearly everyone on here is low carb or trying to be! Some can tolerate more than others, and the LCHF lifestyle is quite highly pushed and followed by many people as it lowers BS effectively and just generally seems to work!
But I keep hearing and seeing things online and people's knowledge of diabetes who don't suffer with it, and from my own doctor!!!! That carbs are ok sugar is ok, just cut down a bit "you'll be alright" and while I was in hospital last month there was no problem with them serving me bread potatoes ice cream pasta fruit jams hot chocolate etc etc.
I'm not saying either one of us is right or wrong but for me and many others this forum is so helpful and more knowledgeable because it's our own lives we are trying to protect and prolong, I love what the NHS do they've saved my life a few times and I have much respect for them but maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to join together and join forces to fight the diabetic fight surely two heads are better than one?
I think my main point here is if carbs turn to glucose and mostly raise BS why are our health professionals suggesting we eat them ???

Before insulin (and the NHS) the only treatment for diabetes was a lchf diet. Over the years until the 1970s it was still the recommended diet. Then it was considered un needed and diabetics should eat normally.
As the NHS are now trying to get everyone to eat healthy the eat well plate is the diet they chose. Unfortunately one plate doesn't fit all, hopefully if research starts to sink in the need for different diets for different people will be more common

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow I really wasn't expecting such an involved response! I'm glad we can all talk civilly here too its nice to see @SWUSA what's that question of the day stuff you speak of ?? Haha
And just to add another point if I can eat delicious food like this
c06193a25a3116229ecbe815682f592c.jpg

Then I'm very happy to be LCHF

Reactions: donnellysdogs

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I keep wondering if low carb proven for decades to work why has not more diabetics reversed their diabetes?
An excellent liver detox the lchf but I'm finding my body needs wholewheat for heart health.
I will be using lchf for liver health but not constantly. Heart health, for me has to come first. I can liver with a clogged up liver intermittently but I'm not prepared to risk heart health, even for a short while!
40yrs of diabetic symptoms takes its toll, no matter which diet I'm on. Inflammation taking hold, even on lchf?
So nhs cannot win whichever diet it recommends. So I guess they stick with a tried and tested average healthy one? They spend thousands on supplying insulin to those in need to convert carbs into energy.
I'd feel a bit ungrareful throwing it back in their face. Thank god for the nhs. Lets not run it down. It has saved my life a few times now. I cannot knock its help!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I keep wondering if low carb proven for decades to work why has not more diabetics reversed their diabetes?
An excellent liver detox the lchf but I'm finding my body needs wholewheat for heart health.
I will be using lchf for liver health but not constantly. Heart health, for me has to come first. I can liver with a clogged up liver intermittently but I'm not prepared to risk heart health, even for a short while!
40yrs of diabetic symptoms takes its toll, no matter which diet I'm on. Inflammation taking hold, even on lchf?
So nhs cannot win whichever diet it recommends. So I guess they stick with a tried and tested average healthy one? They spend thousands on supplying insulin to those in need to convert carbs into energy.
I'd feel a bit ungrareful throwing it back in their face. Thank god for the nhs. Lets not run it down. It has saved my life a few times now. I cannot knock its help!
I'm interested to know why you think you need wholewheat for heart health.. almost everyone I read thinks that grains especially are a major source of inflammation and not good for us..Not being nasty just interested.
Regards
Mark

Reactions: Terryrhino

cusally

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Crowds, noisy places
Terry, I read your post shortly after discussing the huge gap between what I have learnt here, and what I am told everywhere else !
I so agree with you, but look at the tools we now have at our own personal disposal.
My GP kindly told me to look at this forum for support and direct experience, that started me off well, and then I got a fitbit which has a food app part to it, which analyses and summarises all the nutrients, so at the end of each day I know how many carbs I had, and can reduce the next day if I went a bit high. Reading this forum convinced me to aim for 50g of carbs per day. Although I did start off thinking about complicated recipes, all I actually did was remove the carbs and add extra veggies such as cauliflower, cabbage and green beans. I stopped eating any sugary things plus anything with high carbs. That would have been difficult in previous years, but food labelling is so good now, its easy. The most counter intuitive thing was to stop eating fruit, apart from a few blueberries and water melon I haven't had any fruit in months.
I find it amazing that I am succeeding so soon after diagnosis, but in fact, I am better informed than at any other time in history - its all online at my fingertips !

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm interested to know why you think you need wholewheat for heart health.. almost everyone I read thinks that grains especially are a major source of inflammation and not good for us..Not being nasty just interested.
Regards
Mark
I found the opposite for my body. Inflammation and palpatations on lchf. Just getting my body built up again after doing that diet. An excellent tool to get very high bgs down and understanding how the liver can dump and get rid of fatty liver symptoms. My body goes in shock on lchf so I'd have to try it again as a very gradual change but not sure I want to risk palpatations again?

Reactions: SWUSA_

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I thank lchf for giving me confidence to change my high bgs status thou. Forever grateful. ♡♥♡

S

serenity648

I found the opposite for my body. Inflammation and palpatations on lchf. Just getting my body built up again after doing that diet. An excellent tool to get very high bgs down and understanding how the liver can dump and get rid of fatty liver symptoms. My body goes in shock on lchf so I'd have to try it again as a very gradual change but not sure I want to risk palpatations again?

how do you know your palpitations were caused by low carbs? and how did you find out and test your inflammation and the causes? I would like to know what to ask my doctor about this please.

Reactions: Freema and SWUSA_

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
how do you know your palpitations were caused by low carbs? and how did you find out and test your inflammation and the causes? I would like to know what to ask my doctor about this please.
Give it your best shot. I only know my own bodies reaction, sorry. :(

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Wow I really wasn't expecting such an involved response! I'm glad we can all talk civilly here too its nice to see @SWUSA what's that question of the day stuff you speak of ?? Haha
And just to add another point if I can eat delicious food like this
c06193a25a3116229ecbe815682f592c.jpg

Then I'm very happy to be LCHF
Yum! I'm coming over-warn your wife to set another plate.

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@SWUSA cooked by my own fair hands!!! And I should have a wife id make a great husband but I'm young free and single ... Well free and single not so young anymore

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@SWUSA cooked by my own fair hands!!! And I should have a wife id make a great husband but I'm young free and single ... Well free and single not so young anymore
Oh, well then, my boyfriend would not approve of my coming over but it looks delicious!