This forum "v" The NHS (sort of)

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
Sorry I have a complaint about this thread, @Terryrhino stop putting photos of your food, it's distracting! but looks bloody lovely :p

Okay slip I have to defend Terryrhino on this one. It's his thread and although it was distracting it did prove a point- LCHF food can be attractive and inviting. Even us hardcore medium carb medium fat eaters can be enticed to try a meal like that.

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Brunneria thanks for the most perfect answer very very helpful I believe I eat more carbs than others but it's working for me and I probably on 7 veg a day lol both raw and cooked 15 minute steam or roasted that is can't boil vegetables yuk I need crunch and texture salted red cabbage sautéed in butter and garlic is an added side to roast chicken and vegetables tonight yum

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
does that mean that the blood pressure may be causing the dizziness, not the low carbing? not sure how the low carbing affects blood pressure - can you explain please or point me in the right direction to find out?

I am finding this confusing. Is the dizziness caused by low carbing, or by lack of salt? @ickihun seems to say its because she low carbed, and therefore she cant low carb, and your explanation seems to say its not that, its blood pressure.

confused : (
I do not think you are confused-they disagree on probable causes and you described each position accurately. Do not sell yourself short. You understand much more than you give yourself credit for.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
IMHO this site just like the NHS offers good advice as well as some not so good advice and some downright dangerous advice, the trick seems to be to sort out what works 'for you' and the only way to do that is with a meter and test before and after eating.

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ok question!!! I know what most of the benefits of low carbing are and its helping me loads, but what are the downsides to it ? Should I be taking supplements???
No, I do not think you should be taking supplements because you are eating well not fasting. The meat intake you showed in last photo on this thread would give you adequate magnesium and potassium for a couple of days. You are getting vitamin C from the tomatoes, bell peppers, cabbage, and onions. Did you add salt to anything? It looks like sodium was probably covered too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Terryrhino

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Well, in terms of nutrition, LC is as good or as bad as any diet.
I mean, some people manage to b*ll*x up the '5 a day' don't they? By interpreting it as potato and 3 litres of OJ = enough veg ;)

So with LC, as far as I can see from the forum, the most common mistakes are these:
- not enough water/fluids
- too much protein
- thinking you should stuff yourself on fat (nope, just eat enough to prevent hunger or to maintain weight if that is what you want)
- not enough veg. this is debatable, but I still think people are better off with a variety of textures and colours of above ground veg. I mean, if you are eating normal protein and some/enough fat, then you need veg to fill the plate, and your tum, don't you?
- not drinking the broth (this is because most people on carby diets eat a lot of hidden salt. When they drop the carbs, they drop the hidden salt too, and need to add back in enough. Not too much. Every summer we get threads on 'help! I have cramp!' from newby low carbers, because they need more salt
- many, many people are mildly deficient in magnesium nowadays, due to commercial farming stripping the nutrients out of the soil. Symptoms shown in my post above. Low carbers often seem to benefit from supplementation.
- likewise potassium, which is another cause of cramps and muscle weakness.

These links show good food sources of both minerals.
https://draxe.com/top-10-potassium-rich-foods/
https://draxe.com/top-10-potassium-rich-foods/
8 out of 10 of the foods listed on both lists are low carb, so it is easy enough to add them into a LC diet.

Personally, I firmly believe that a well designed low carb diet will automatically have better nutrition that a standard carby diet. Carbs are notoriously low in nutrients, and even bread has various supplements added to it, because it is so nutritionally poor, otherwise. Bell peppers compete with oranges for Vit C content. Veg often have more nutrients than fruit, but without the fructose.

However, as I mentioned earlier, people have to make the effort to eat a sensible, colourful, varied diet.
Anyone living on a narrow range of a few foods, cooked to death, with added fat, is going to go the way of Pottingers Cats... IMHO. Whether they are eating LC or non LC.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_M._Pottenger,_Jr.

My choice is to have a plate full of 1/4 protein and 3/4 veg. To me, that is a balanced plate. :D
And a lot of that veg is lightly cooked, or salad.

Now that was a rational well thought out and researched defense of low carbing. I think this is where we have common ground-which was the stated aim of this thread. I think that a diet that contains a variety of foods with a restricted amount of carbs is sensible.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Unless and until my blood results show I am deficient in something, or noticing any symptoms that may arise, I won't take supplements. Vegans and vegetarians have to be vigilant with what they eat. I eat meat, fish and dairy. If the food you are eating has all the required vitamins and minerals in sufficient quantities it is all too possible to overdose unless you really know what you are doing. Too many can be as bad as too few.

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Brunneria thanks for the most perfect answer very very helpful I believe I eat more carbs than others but it's working for me and I probably on 7 veg a day lol both raw and cooked 15 minute steam or roasted that is can't boil vegetables yuk I need crunch and texture salted red cabbage sautéed in butter and garlic is an added side to roast chicken and vegetables tonight yum
@Terryrhino You can cook for me any day-could you post a few of your menus under Forum>Type 2>What have you eaten today? (Tasty and effective.)

Reactions: Terryrhino

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pre lchf I never ate white bread, nor crisps and very rarely potato heavy dishes. I've always been a big protein lover. No chocoholic. I prefered mackerel or seafood.
Not a sweet person. Still aren't.
I went severe on lchf which is when the palpatations and dizziness started. Supplements and more veg didn't resolve those symptoms.
Palpatations is noted as a lchf diet side affect. It's documented even on the low carb programme info. It advises to increase carbs to try and get rid, as I've done.
Maybe I'm still low carbing compared to most carbaholics but I wasn't that much of a craver before I started lchf. I wanted to lose weight!
I didn't add as much weight as expected starting high doses of mixed insulin due to lchf but I only lost weight on the dawn period of taking canagliflozin. It stopped with nasty side affects and I regained that 7-9lb.
I can honestly say lchf helped with my high bgs and reducing insulin. Because of that I encourage newees to try it as most people don't get palpatations!
Definitely an asset to fighting diabetes.

dear ickihun are you sure you don´t get palpations due to a to low level of potassium and magnesium ?

http://www.medicinenet.com/low_potassium_hypokalemia/page2.htm

.... if you are in the lower area of the normal levels, maybe you could try to be in the higher level.. of those 2 , but of cause tjek with your GP and make sure you are not in the risk of getting too high in potassium... Some people do get heart troubles when being too low in or just low in potassium...
I have found a good place to buy higher potassium suplements combined with magnesium that are not too expensive to my economy , (they do speak and read and write English ) http://www.svenskkosttilskud.dk/produkter/potassium___magnesium

one get the parcel from France which is confusing as the cite is called Swedish-suplements... but it is an okay cite... takes a week maybe 1, 5 week to get the delivery

lindisfel

Expert
Yes oxo cubes in veg stir-fries and cheese has salt in it. I blame nother medical conditions rather than just having diabetes for lchf not working as well, for me. Blood pressure increased so reduced salt but still high blood pressure. Thyroid tablet became more sensitive. :)

It is usually low potassium that causes 'irregular' heart beat! We talk much about ancient diets, in actual fact ancient diets had a low sodium input. When sodium goes into tissue potassium comes out and is lost in urine. Blood pressure rises and if potassium drops too much heart beat anomalies occur. Of course the heart's internal pacemaker could be shot like mine, but I have electronic ignition! I just hope the next Solar mass ejection doesn't burn out my electronics! :) ;)
Derek

Last edited:

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
You guys have pretty thoroughly discussed this topic, I just want to add that I went through this phase also-first thinking this site was sponsored by the NIH (our NHS equivalent) and then finding out that it wasn't. I am glad to see @Terryrhino posting a question for the day again-I was worried about information overload and burnout. And not everyone on the forum is low carbing I found out when I went through this phase-also it is helpful to put some numbers with low carb as different individuals define it very differently. Anywhere from 0 to 180 carbs per day with 50-100 being the most common range I have run into. Extreme low carbers write more than many others but actually are in the minority on the forum. Also, as we have discussed before, an individual must eat for all the working parts of their body and many of us have other concerns we must take into account as we self tailor our diets.
Having said all that I have to add that I am having better control this last two weeks than I have ever had before in 57 years of blood sugar issues. Watching and counting the number of carbs I am eating is doing it.
I am seriously considering setting up a website / app where details can be entered that can show trends and specifically what others do, with easy to use graphs and the like. So for example, what is the percentage of members who are on Metformin, what amount. Who is low carbing, what foods, how many grams. Ultimately with a data build up over time it might be possible to see for example that the average HbA1c is achieved by going LCHF, eating a avocado a day and walking for 30 minutes.

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I am seriously considering setting up a website / app where details can be entered that can show trends and specifically what others do, with easy to use graphs and the like. So for example, what is the percentage of members who are on Metformin, what amount. Who is low carbing, what foods, how many grams. Ultimately with a data build up over time it might be possible to see for example that the average HbA1c is achieved by going LCHF, eating a avocado a day and walking for 30 minutes.
I think you would need to add many more medications to the list and add some information about starting points-like what HbA1c the forum member started with and some measure of fat/fitness also. I think all of us would agree that embracing the knowledge that carbs cause blood sugars to rise and limiting carbs has brought each of us better control than when we started the forum.
Improvement in glucose control is also almost universal for forum members who stick around for 6 months. I think the social support also has a big role to play in this improvement.

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Terryrhino You can cook for me any day-could you post a few of your menus under Forum>Type 2>What have you eaten today? (Tasty and effective.)

I'll see what I can do but I don't really go by recipes I just tend to open the fridge and cupboards and boom ideas jump into my head those ideas don't always turn out so nice mind !!! I'm on Instagram and post more food there I'm TerryRhino there im too @SWUSA

Reactions: ickihun

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'll see what I can do but I don't really go by recipes I just tend to open the fridge and cupboards and boom ideas jump into my head those ideas don't always turn out so nice mind !!! I'm on Instagram and post more food there I'm TerryRhino there im too @SWUSA
You do not have to post recipes there-most just list the food they have eaten for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks under those or similiar titles-take a look at the thread-I think you could add a lot of good ideas there. (Appetizing pictures are welcome also.)

S

serenity648

I do not think you are confused-they disagree on probable causes and you described each position accurately. Do not sell yourself short. You understand much more than you give yourself credit for.

thank you. I have self esteem issues and your post has cheered me a lot : )

Reactions: Freema and SWUSA_
S

serenity648

I'm guessing you upped your salt intake when you got the dizziness?.. on my last 7 day fast I forgot to have my usual glass of water with a teaspoon of salt (forgot .. probably avoided cos it tastes rank) and got a few bouts of dizziness especially when getting up fast. Still not sure I would have bread..there may be better carbs or ways to eat carbs.. but whatever works for you.

I seem to remember you (I think it was you) suggesting this when I posted about fasting and feeling faint. I have low pressure - dont know if that makes a difference - anyway, I am trying the 16/8 fasting this past week and have added more salt and drunk more and my faintness has stopped. So thank you : )

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I think you would need to add many more medications to the list and add some information about starting points-like what HbA1c the forum member started with and some measure of fat/fitness also. I think all of us would agree that embracing the knowledge that carbs cause blood sugars to rise and limiting carbs has brought each of us better control than when we started the forum.
Improvement in glucose control is also almost universal for forum members who stick around for 6 months. I think the social support also has a big role to play in this improvement.
For the last few months I have been looking at some of the well known fitness apps to see if they already have the functionality. Early days but of course all of the major drugs and regimes would be catered for and there would be a quick minimum amount of data with detailed options. I have other ideas to share with Dr and others to various levels and of course not fully identifying the owner of the data (and also every field encrypted).

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I seem to remember you (I think it was you) suggesting this when I posted about fasting and feeling faint. I have low pressure - dont know if that makes a difference - anyway, I am trying the 16/8 fasting this past week and have added more salt and drunk more and my faintness has stopped. So thank you : )
Glad to be of use.. that was the only thing I didn't have during the past week's fast and this was the first time I had the dizziness so guessed it might be the cause. Have also read on various fasting and LCHF sites that salt is one of the things that you can become deficient in because pre prepared foods have loads of it which we become used to but then when we eat more "cleanly" then we don't get enough especially when not eating. I also supplement magnesium for "bowel" issues as well as there is a school of thought saying that our diet can be lacking here.

Reactions: SWUSA_

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That sounds like a great idea... you would need to include quite a lot of data but it would be a great resource.. I would certainly volunteer all my data to it.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
That sounds like a great idea... you would need to include quite a lot of data but it would be a great resource.. I would certainly volunteer all my data to it.
Me too @Mbaker :)
Anything to make information more readily available. As long as there would be no cap. It could become bigger than facebook. I'd explore and read its data. Go for it! :)

Reactions: SWUSA_