This is for life . . .

Signs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Diagnosed about 4 weeks now. On glickazide (and now perindropil for high BP) and started being extremely careful with carbs this week - was congratulating myself on my BGs since Monday, ranging from 4.1 to 7.5 (With peak of 12.8 when I discovered I can't eat pineapple).

I had the sudden realisation yesterday that this is for life, that I could seek to gain control but would never cure. I thought "what a *****!" Spent all day yesterday being angry with myself for some reason I can't quite figure. Think I've been so busy gettting a handle on the whole thing that I hadn't really properly thought through the impact. My very first post on here I said a I was controlling what I could and accepting what I couldn't - I'm a glass half full guy and always try to see the positive side but strugging with this one. Perhaps I should be thankful that I'm better of than some of the posts I read?

Maybe it's because most of my adult life I've practised martial arts and run half maratons - a level of fitness I didn't actually realise I had until it slipped away ( Accident, hip replacement 6 years ago) - I thought I was in charge of my body only for it to now tell me who the boss is?

I don't think you ever actually gain complete control of diabetes, more learn to co-exist?

Made a deal with myself this morning to learn everything I can working on the theory that the more I know the more I can learn to live with it.

Really don't know the purpose of this post, just a mini rant I guess.

John

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Signs said:
I don't think you ever actually gain complete control of diabetes, more learn to co-exist?

It might be wishful thinking signs, but I don't see any reason why you can't gain complete control of your diabetes.

If, a year ago, when I was first diagnosed (HbA1c=10.2%) I could have found a magic genie who said "you can more or less make this go away by changing your diet a bit" I would have bitten his hand off. There were no magic genies, just this forum and a few books on low-carbing, but that effect was just the same.

My HbA1c is now 5.2% (and hopefully falling to below 5%), I've lost almost 4 stone and gone from not being able to run for a hundred meters to be able to run a 5k in 30mins (and bloody 20s). I feel healthier than I can ever remember feeling in my life. For all of this I think that not eating as many carbohydrates is a small price to pay.

It sounds like you are well on the road to doing something similar with your excellent BG readings (sans pineapple). :thumbup:

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Hi Signs, is a total ***** isn't it but like Grazer and Boro say you can get control. Takes a bit of willpower and research that's all. Diagnosed just under 4 months ago with an HBA1C of 11.3% but back to having the levels of a non diabetic now and nigh on 3 stone lighter. Just have to be careful what I eat as like you're finding understanding what causes the spikes is the key. Sounds like you're doing really well but keep asking questions as and when. Good luck!

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
I feel as if i'm in control, I got good readings etc & coz of that I don't feel bad about the odd treat, so i'm not going without-i'm exercising moderation which should be normal behaviour anyway-so diabetes just means me behaving as I should of done anyway!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I don't want to be too negative but if your are one of the 80% of Type 2s suffering insulin resistance and overweight then with very good dietary control and possibly tablets you can take control pretty well. If you are not overweight and in the 20% group, many of whom may well be Type 1 LADA, then good diet and tablets will manage for a while but eventually insulin will be needed but even then you can take reasonable control. The main thing is to accept that it is for life and there are millions sharing the same problem so you are not alone.

honey bee

Hi signs - Being diagnosed with any long term condition is like a mini bereavement for the life we think we have lost. Natural to be angry and upset. Remain positive, do your research. You will learn such a lot. You WILL be able to take control of your diabetes - not it take control of you. The diabetic diet is a really healthy one - something that everyone should be eating. We tend to feel that we are being forced into healthy diet/exercise. Take it one day at a time. You will be fine. Keep smiling.

Mothman

Dislikes
Raw tomatoes and arrogant people.
I really feel i am in control now. A tad shocked on diagnosis but so far have brought my BS to near normal levels but this has taken a lot of effort. Getting used to it now so its not so bad and the weight loss has really helped. I am probably fitter, lighter and more ache and pain free than ive been for years and happier too and thats down to the advice received from this forum[thanks once again guys n gals] so having diabetes dosnt have to get you down nor make you angry. Now that you know about it and make the effort to control it you will probably live a longer and healthier life. I certainly hope so.
good luck and chin up.

Andy

Defren

Daibell said:
The main thing is to accept that it is for life and there are millions sharing the same problem so you are not alone.

Not having to bare this alone is such a blessing. I have learned so much from the people here.

Signs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Definitely gaining in knowledge, most of it from this forum. Just when I think I've read everything I find something else!

Low carbing isn't as easy as I thought, guess it'll take a bit of getting used to. When I used to train for comps I was very strict with myself all week and Sunday was an easy day. Reckon I can deal with that.

Still trying to get a handle on the whole thing, luckily my nurse is very patient and helpful, explains everything, even nodded her head at low carbing. Been in the surgery more this last 5 weeks than the past 5 years! Be getting me own seat soon . . .

Cheers, John

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Remember diabetes isn't the end but a start of a new journey! :)