This Is So Hard......

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Listening to audio books is about all we can do right now, unfortunately.
Hi @BibaBee I listen to the radio a lot, mainly BBC Radio 4 which has a lot of interesting programs and good dramas.
Radio 4 Extra is good too.

Reactions: briped

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Poldark, Then There Were None, George Gently, Judge John Deed , All Creatures Great and Small, Fawlty Towers.

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Poldark, Then There Were None, George Gently, Judge John Deed , All Creatures Great and Small, Fawlty Towers.
Thanks Kitedoc. I'm afraid he can't see the tv screen, so it just has to be audio for the time being. We're listening to the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy at the moment.

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I had my eye operation and had to be face down for a week a friend lent me some audio tapes; murder mysteries, funnies etc. They were great and helped to pass the time.

Reactions: briped

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
*Update*. I just wanted to let you all know that my husband is doing much better now. He is responding to treatment (anti-vegf injections) and his vision is almost back to normal. He's off insulin and his blood sugar is well controlled, thanks to LCHF and regular walks each day. He has started working tentatively again and is no longer depressed. Things have really turned around.

Thank you so much for everyone's support and advice. I cannot express enough how much it has helped.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
*Update*. I just wanted to let you all know that my husband is doing much better now. He is responding to treatment (anti-vegf injections) and his vision is almost back to normal. He's off insulin and his blood sugar is well controlled, thanks to LCHF and regular walks each day. He has started working tentatively again and is no longer depressed. Things have really turned around.

Thank you so much for everyone's support and advice. I cannot express enough how much it has helped.
Brilliant news!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Excellent news for you both. I absolutely hate to rain on anyone's BBQ, but please do just be mindful there may be bumps in the road, but now you both have a foundation of good practise, yielding good results, at least you have a go-to, safe path to follow.

Keep fighting the good fight. I'm very pleased for you.

Reactions: kitedoc

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
*Update*.

And thank you so much for the update! I was thinking of you only a few days ago, wondering if your situation had improved. I'm glad to hear that's the case.

Reactions: Prem51 and kitedoc

Freckledjet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
.....I think I need some virtual hugs and general cheerleading to keep going. I'm supporting my husband who was dealing with extreme anxiety and depression prior to diagnosis. He has a long history of health anxiety and has avoided seeing the GP or Opticians for over 10 years.

We are now three weeks after diagnosis (HBAC1 122 on admission to hospital) and his mental health has never been poorer. His vision has become very poor (he is self-employed and unable to work) and we have some concerns about other visual symptoms. We have an opticians appointment for a diabetic eye care check for Tuesday, rather than wait for screening. He is terrified and I am very worried about how he will react if we get bad news. I've taken leave from work to look after him, as he is still on insulin (although we hope this is temporary).

On the positive side, I'm starting to get a handle on the LCHF approach, and his levels are stabilising (Dawn Phenomenon is being a pest though!). He's on Metformin (500mg twice a day) and reducing doses of Abasaglar and Humalog. According to My Sugr his estimated HBA1C is 52.3, which is a massive step in the right direction.

He is convinced his life is over at the moment and no amount of love, reassurance and support from me will change his mindset. He thinks he has damaged his eyes permanently. I'm now starting to struggle myself and finding it hard to cope. I'm not necessarily looking for answers, just need some support right now.
Sending you and hubby the biggest virtual hug to the moon and back.
As a newbie to diabetes since April I can't really give advice as others here are much more experienced.
Thou what you are doing is great as my Karen does for me.
I do remember those early weeks held me in such confusion and stress. As the system takes control if you get what I mean. Alas now life is good and I am back in control. Wishing hubby and you all the best.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
That's great to hear @BibaBee. Thanks for letting us know. Best wishes to you and your husband for the future.

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fantastic news; I am sure there will be pot holes in the road but khowing you can get over them will help you. Well done.

Reactions: Prem51 and briped