Three meals a day,do we need them?

sugartoohigh

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Potatoes & rice, so no problem there then :)
Just thinking aloud here and I've no agenda. What's the evidence that anyone needs three meals a day and more importantly that those with type 2 need three a day instead of just two. I'm always told by my nurse to keep an even balance of sugar levels during the day, which is near impossible for me. One for breakfast after a period of non eating i.e. when a sleep and one mid day while you are still in theory still working?

Do we need to keep our sugar levels topped up during the evening? We aren't hunter gathers or per-industrial farmers anymore so are we topping up when there isn't a need? A lot of us eat during the evening now because of work/travel times but apart from the19th century eating after 7pm middle and upper class fashion(though we also get diet advice not to eat a meal after 6pm) we continue.

Do we need that top up before bed?

Are we at risk of very low levels of sugar with type 2 during our sleep?

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So far as I understand t2 are not at risk for hypos during sleep. There are several systems of hormones that see to that, so long as you don't add any external insulin.

I eat when I am hungry, usually three times a day and sometimes a snack before bed. If I choose low-carb foods I keep my bg even through the day. I aim for never above 6, ever.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Food/diet is always a personal thing. No evidence that we need 3 meals that I've ever seen. In fact, I've read much more stating we should be grazing, little and often, 5 or 6 meals a day. That won't help you I'm sure. Why don't you give the 2 meals a go and see how you get on ? Seems perfectly reasonable, my only issue would be the long gap between eating may encourage me to snack but I'm sure this would pass.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had tons of advice (and pills) from the NHS. When I put some of it to the test it did not turn out to be very helpful advice. The obvious healthy eating plate is an example. I was told to eat little and often to stave off liver dumps but I am beginning to question that too. I have never gone into this question by experimenting on myself but I have not detected a problem so far no matter how/when I eat.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just spoke with the diabetes nurse. She said I need to eat breakfast. I am not entirely sure I believe her. I haven't had breakfast for twenty years or more.

I believe in eating until you are full and then stop. Continuous snacking can´t be good for you nor for your teeth.

Reactions: 4 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find it easier to have three meals a day plus small snacks in between. This way I can keep myself from going too hungry before any one meal and so I am less likely to eat too much or eat the wrong things.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I don't believe in continuous snacking either but that's the only thing I can remember reading about on how often we should eat. 2 meals a day sounds feasible, especially if you already skip breakfast.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Little and often is probably better. What type 2s attempt to do is even out the fluctuations below. Even a hypocalorific diet such as the Newcastle Diet is still based on 3 meals per day.

EU140111enlite_graph.jpg

sugartoohigh

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks for the great feedback good people of diabetes uk, you've given me lots to think about. I wasn't suggesting anyone should try it, just thinking if it would do me any harm and are we're caught in the three day a mill routine. The second bit you've already addressed, which is no not everybody :)

I think I'm plateauing out on my current weight loss and the Dr wants me to lose a lot more, around 6 1/2 stone to fit with my recommended BMI.

Grazing doesn't work for me because I could eat like a Hereford Bull if left to it. ;) A bit like my real ale,1 pint a day is more torture than no beer at all. I that's why I gave it up ,excluding this x-mass ;) I only get the taste of the beer after the second pint ;)

I've always had breakfast and couldn't really do with out it myself. Mid day makes sense to me and in the past I always feel bad for missing it due to work.

Totto sadly I can't stop when am full as I always feel empty :(

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes you do hit a wall when losing weight. I lost 30 Kg and then just stuck. Doesn't matter what I do. I'm even cycling up real hills now. I must be getting fitter as they are getting easier and my times faster, but no weight loss.

Maybe I should just get a juicer :)

Reactions: 3 people

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
My normal routine is two meals a day, lunch is usually something like a single cheese sandwich or soup plus a round of Burgen and then I have a main meal early evening. Most days I don't normally do breakfast at all except for a cup of coffee. I don't snack either.

Unless you are on an insulin stimulating medication (not Metformin) or insulin itself then the risks of a hypo in the true dangerous to life sense that insulin users face daily is minimal. A large study was done many years ago and found the chances of having a hypo that required the attention of a doctor or nurse rose from 1 in a 1000 for diet only T2's to just 3 in a 1000 for those on Metformin. Many people including the general non diabetic population can suffer the symptoms of "low blood sugars" i.e. feeling dizzy, nauseous etc. but the body usually corrects the problem itself via a liver dump pretty quickly. The effects of low blood sugars can of course be pretty unpleasant.

An insulin using diabetic who injects too much or on occasion a diabetic who takes insulin stimulating meds without eating enough carbs can hypo when the amount of insulin they have taken (or produced) overrides all the attempts the liver makes to correct the low blood sugar problem. When this happens it becomes very dangerous and glucose needs to be taken to stop BG levels continuing to fall.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Three straight meals a day (no snacking) starting with breakfast is the best option all round IMHO.

Beshlie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find my body 'tells' me if it needs a small snack - or not! I have breakfast around 10 - 10-30am, main meal around 5pm and then a snack at about 9pm when I take my metformin, and find that suits me.

sugartoohigh

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm up at 6am most mornings so need my breakfast.I used to listen to my body too much and that's why I reached 22 stone. I'm one of those people who must have a faulty gene (it would be good if we are offered these sort of tests when we are told we have diabetes) telling me I'm not full when I've eaten a horse, a cow and two pigs washed down with a dozen barrels of ale. A habit farming families can get into ;) .I know I'm doing right when my stomach twists because it feels empty but I've still eaten the right things a plate full of green things with a portion of dead animal ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Little and often works for me. Portion control, count the daily calories, a small load keeps my bs down, I don't feel hungry, so I think there is no universal answer.

saramaz75

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I need to eat regular but small meals as I can start to feel ill if I get really hungry, I've been like that for years, from way before I was diagnosed t2.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Monday to Thursday when I work, I have three meals a day, Friday to Sunday when I don't work and get up later, I have two meals a day. Works for me.

Beley1984

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
Other
Little and often is probably better. What type 2s attempt to do is even out the fluctuations below. Even a hypocalorific diet such as the Newcastle Diet is still based on 3 meals per day.

EU140111enlite_graph.jpg
2 meals a day(breakfast and diner) would br enough depending in the number of your daily tasks.

Beley1984

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
Other
if the purpose is losing weight, then one meal a day is quite good. But to maintain weight, three meals a day are prescribed. But to gain weight, then you can add midnight meal aside from snacks and regular meal.

Beley1984

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
Other
Three straight meals a day (no snacking) starting with breakfast is the best option all round IMHO.
Yeah breakfast is the best option. There is a popular athlete who only take one meal(breakfast) a day. He already did it for many years. And the result was that he looks younger than his age. But I really forget his name.. maybe on the next post, I will tell you his name.