Time to come back to the fold

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello again friends old and new. I've been in denial, not caring what I eat, not testing regularly, and very sedentary. I regained most of the weight I lost but I'm still about a stone lighter than my heaviest weight. I've had a recent raise in GGT value due to what my Dr thinks may be fatty liver, but I still need to talk to him following ultrasound tests, phone appointment tomorrow.

I tested a couple of days ago and got a horrible shock - 18.3! I was feeling a bit unwell, so it may be due to an infection but it's enough to get me hightailing back into a more healthy way of eating. I have been bingeing on carbs and sugar, very very badly. The lowest I got over the next two days was 7.4, and I was in the 8-12 range most of the time.

This feels a little like 28 years ago when I smoked over 20 cigarettes a day and had chronic bronchitis. I realised I was going to be very ill for the rest of my life (which would likely be much shorter) unless I stopped. So I stopped, on January 14th 1993 - I thought that would be the hardest thing I'd ever have to do - but sorting out my diet consistently is much, much harder.

Luckily I know what to do, thanks to this forum and its members, and Dr Fung et al. Keeping myself on track is the hard bit, I know I will fall off the wagon again but I need to make sure I don't stay off the wagon for very long again. I also want to get myself off medications, if possible - but I'll sort out the high numbers first. I've stopped thinking I can fix this by dabbling a bit in fasting and low carb when I feel like it, then bingeing on carbs the rest of the time.

Hard to believe that I can talk myself out of health, really, but I can. I can convince myself that I want those chocolates/crisps/sweets/cake more than anything. How stupid that looks when it's written down!

Those who remember me from a year or so ago will know that I understand what to do - I have tried all the tricks and tips, and I've proven to myself that I can get healthy. Staying there... well, that's the next step and I think I'm ready now. So I'm back! I'll catch up bit by bit with you all and will probably post on fasting/low carb threads (though I often feel a fraud on the low carb threads, as I struggle to avoid carbs - even with all the alternatives and the knowledge that staying off them means addiction fades). Here goes, then!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @jpscloud and welcome back!

Good to see you around again. As a fellow ‘addictee’ I can well understand the struggles and am pleased you’re back at it. Keep us updated.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good luck! With my luck you will find that things become much easier after a few months. I think real, proper cold turkey on carbs is the only thing that works, both for managing BG and getting rid of the cravings - I genuinely would not want to go back to my old carbtastic diet now even if the diabetes fairy waved her magic wand and me not-diabetic. I just feel so much better across the board and I really hope you will too!

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Your post will help all those who are struggling and being tempted by the draw of carbs. You'll get it done this time.

It is so easy to feel deprived by looking at say 5 things not to eat, rather than the 25 you can.

On Christmas day I was going to have a small Tequila as you do, with my LC dinner. I then thought do I really want this, or would this have been a custom I was just following - the Tequila bottle stayed unopened and I enjoyed my 12 piece dinner and 13 piece afters (4.7 before, hours later 5.3). The trick is to be really satisfied with your choices mentally.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

VioletViolet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello again friends old and new. I've been in denial, not caring what I eat, not testing regularly, and very sedentary. I regained most of the weight I lost but I'm still about a stone lighter than my heaviest weight. I've had a recent raise in GGT value due to what my Dr thinks may be fatty liver, but I still need to talk to him following ultrasound tests, phone appointment tomorrow.

I tested a couple of days ago and got a horrible shock - 18.3! I was feeling a bit unwell, so it may be due to an infection but it's enough to get me hightailing back into a more healthy way of eating. I have been bingeing on carbs and sugar, very very badly. The lowest I got over the next two days was 7.4, and I was in the 8-12 range most of the time.

This feels a little like 28 years ago when I smoked over 20 cigarettes a day and had chronic bronchitis. I realised I was going to be very ill for the rest of my life (which would likely be much shorter) unless I stopped. So I stopped, on January 14th 1993 - I thought that would be the hardest thing I'd ever have to do - but sorting out my diet consistently is much, much harder.

Luckily I know what to do, thanks to this forum and its members, and Dr Fung et al. Keeping myself on track is the hard bit, I know I will fall off the wagon again but I need to make sure I don't stay off the wagon for very long again. I also want to get myself off medications, if possible - but I'll sort out the high numbers first. I've stopped thinking I can fix this by dabbling a bit in fasting and low carb when I feel like it, then bingeing on carbs the rest of the time.

Hard to believe that I can talk myself out of health, really, but I can. I can convince myself that I want those chocolates/crisps/sweets/cake more than anything. How stupid that looks when it's written down!

Those who remember me from a year or so ago will know that I understand what to do - I have tried all the tricks and tips, and I've proven to myself that I can get healthy. Staying there... well, that's the next step and I think I'm ready now. So I'm back! I'll catch up bit by bit with you all and will probably post on fasting/low carb threads (though I often feel a fraud on the low carb threads, as I struggle to avoid carbs - even with all the alternatives and the knowledge that staying off them means addiction fades). Here goes, then!
Thanks for your post, it's motivated me. I could have written it myself and I need to get back on track. I'm using this bizarre year as an excuse to slip up and it's damaging me. Back to basics.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you both, it's so brilliant to have your support.

One of the reasons I'm more happy with a carnivore leaning diet is there's less things that might be a trigger to returning to bad eating habits.
Might be worth a try for you?
Just a thought..

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One of the reasons I'm more happy with a carnivore leaning diet is there's less things that might be a trigger to returning to bad eating habits.
Might be worth a try for you?
Just a thought..

I see how well you and others have done on carnivore, it's amazing! Not sure if I can do it but it may be something I can try.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Ah, you're human! Can happen to any of us. Putting what you know into practice can be hard when you really, really *need* that cookie/spud/lasagna/brownie, but you're not alone. And every day is a fresh one, so plenty of room to start over, like you're doing now. It's funny you're getting back on the wagon at this moment, it's usually this time of year that people get a bit quiet because of a holiday binge. ;)

First step's the hardest. Welcome back!
Jo

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ah, you're human! Can happen to any of us. Putting what you know into practice can be hard when you really, really *need* that cookie/spud/lasagna/brownie, but you're not alone. And every day is a fresh one, so plenty of room to start over, like you're doing now. It's funny you're getting back on the wagon at this moment, it's usually this time of year that people get a bit quiet because of a holiday binge. ;)

First step's the hardest. Welcome back!
Jo

Thanks Jo, yes I was thinking how much carby rubbish I've still got in. I will donate it or throw it away depending on perishability, but I've learned to keep some in for the simple reason that if it's not there I will panic buy and be right back where I started. Something in the cupboard calling my name is less dangerous than nothing in the cupboard triggering a binge - I'm weird like that. Approaching new year is a good time for a resolution, too!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I see how well you and others have done on carnivore, it's amazing! Not sure if I can do it but it may be something I can try.

If you are interested, January is World Carnivore Month and while I’ve been reasonably consistent the past couple of months, Christmas has thrown one or two spanners into the works, so we could have a support thread - or just post in Carnivore Corner. No pressure, just a thought.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome back to the forum, @jpscloud.

You've done it once, so you can do it again. We're always here for advice or to lend an ear. Good luck on your journey.

Reactions: jpscloud

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@jpscloud - I often remark that the forum has a revolving door. Folks arrive, then some leave and do their own thing - sometimes for the better, and sometimes it doesn't go too well.

This time of year, and the coming weeks usually sees a fair number of returners, and they will be welcomed and supported, just as they were first time around.

We all have good days and bad days. The tricky bit is when the bad days pile in and join up, making it harder to get back on track, but the hardest step is the first one you have already made.

You've done it before and you'll do it again.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome back,

It's great that you are coming back and already know what works. That will make at least part of the journey easier.

It doesn't matter where you post as wherever it is you are not a fraud- all of us have days/months/years where it is easier or harder to stay on a road which we know works. I think this year in particular has been a particularly difficult year for everyone.
The important thing is always to pick yourself up and start again. I think you will find that your post will be inspirational for a lot of people. Christmas time can be difficult for those of us struggling with a love of carbs- add that to the year we have just had and I am not surprised that many people will have fallen off the wagon. All we can do is hop right back on it and offer a helping hand to others trying to get on the wagon. We are human not perfect and what works varies for person to person. It is one of the strengths of this forum- so many different ideas to help everyone find what works for them and what they can sustain.

It is good that you are back and I am looking forward to reading about your successes- you have done it before and like many of us older and wiser (well I hope I'm wiser:)).

Good luck