Tips?

Alex_B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve just been approved for a 3 month trial of the cgm. I’m a bit worried about how to keep it on and baths, and I’ve seen some pictures of where people have put it on and it’s started bleeding. So wondering if anyone has any tips, on how to keep it on and all that?

I’m very excited as I’ve wanted a cgm for a long while as I have bad hypos in my sleep and I feel ill have better control over my diabetes!

Reactions: Struma

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I’ve just been approved for a 3 month trial of the cgm. I’m a bit worried about how to keep it on and baths, and I’ve seen some pictures of where people have put it on and it’s started bleeding. So wondering if anyone has any tips, on how to keep it on and all that?

I’m very excited as I’ve wanted a cgm for a long while as I have bad hypos in my sleep and I feel ill have better control over my diabetes!

What you will experience depends on your skin type. If like myself, your skin is a bit on the dry side then you'll have trouble getting it off! If your skin is a bit oily then it may well fall off within 2 weeks.

There are various tapes, (Tegaderm being one of them), and plasters that some folk put over the top. This also reduces the risk of knocking the sensor off when you bump into door frames etc.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a Libre and I use a Tegaderm film patch on it, I put a disc of paper the size of a £2 coin between sensor and patch in case I need to change the patch as that way it doesn't pull on the sensor, I tried kinesiology tape but it didn't even stick to me for 2 hours so wasted money, take a look around for Tegaderm though, I bought 10 off eBay for under £3 whereas my local chemist wanted 60p per dressing xx

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Ooooh, Alex - I hope this will be a great help to you.

@Juicyj uses a Dexcom, and has used the Libre too, so she'll likely have a few tips. @LooperCat also has experience of both sorts of CGM?Flash monitoring.

It would probably be helpful to say which sort of CGM you are having?

Exciting times for you.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I love Skin Tac! With the Libre I had no problem keeping it on. But when I switched to Dexcom I had a huge issue with keeping it on within days of applying it. A few people suggested Skin Tac and it worked great! I now have my dog who is diabetic on Libre and I use Skin Tac on her and it works great on her too.

Last edited:

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I second the tegaderm solution for libre it works a treat, not tried skuntac but heard good things about it - for the Dexcom it usually starts to flake off after about 5-6 days so they can send you clear plasters which sit around the sensor and these help it stay in for a bit longer if you ask.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
SkinTac is the mutts nuts! I am lucky and the Libre sticks to me like a limpet as do my canullas. When I am on holiday I use SkinTac as I am in the water a lot and then they have to be peeled off with force lol

Reactions: urbanracer

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I always use Skin-Tac wipes before sticking my Dexcom (and until recently my Libre+MiaoMiao) and that’s more than enough to keep it attached (I don’t bother with my Omnipod, as that’s only on for three days at a time and the sticky is more than adequate). If I’m doing something vigorous like ziplining, rocking out at a gig on the front rail or something like that, I’ll put a cross of kinesiology tape over the top. I hate the rustling of Tegaderm, and it always gets condensation under it and just looks manky on me. It’s a case of trying all the options and finding what suits.

Reactions: urbanracer

Adam2008

Adam2008

My son uses a band on the sensor to keep Ikooki band is used for dexcom, G4 G5 G6 - Guardian Sensor - Armband Hold and Protect Your Glucose Sensor- Flexible and Easy to Wear -

mefunk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am a G6 user and in order to keep the sensor secure for 10 full days (assuming it functions for that entire time) I use skintac (or equivalent) and the Dexcom overpatches which Dexcom provides at no charge. I tried other commercially available patches but the Dexcom patches irritate me the least.

Huggett

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Had mine for ages don’t worry about it it will stay on no problem

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Hmm this might be a tad controversial but I stick mine on my belly . Yes I know it says you have to put it on your arm ! Well I tried that and like many people it came off . So being an experimental type of guy i decided I have diabetes I have to live with it I will try something different . I’ve had diabetes 40 years and have seen various “new”things related to diabetes . With lots of advice at the onset ( diets injection sites the list is endless. Let’s put this into perspective , we as in us with diabetes have to live with it so why not make things easier for us, I decided to put my sensor on my belly as it was easier for me . I checked my sensor against a blood prick there is always a difference and it was within the a range I was happy with so onward and upward I thought, anyways I have had my sensor on my belly for about 7 months now , I then had a a Hb1Ac test done I thought this will find out if this is ok , well surprise surprise it came back at 48 so that’s it on the belly for me . I Rotate sides every 2 weeks
Some people are wary of change but it’s your body do things that help you . Let’s face it if it’s not right just go back to what your were advised , let’s face it if readings were drastically wrong it would be evident pretty quickly resulting in you going back to the way your did it before. And contrary to popular belief a few days of irregular blood sugars and not the end of the world. Control your diabetes for you , don’t let diabetes control you , I did say it might be controversial! But I dinny feel like I am in jail

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hmm this might be a tad controversial but I stick mine on my belly . Yes I know it says you have to put it on your arm !
I started right from day one with it on my lower ribs, as suggested by the Dexcom rep - as my working on an ambulance means that patients often grip my upper arms, and I didn’t want to wear it there. I keep the squishy part of my abdomen for my Omnipods, and the bit over the ribs for my sensors. Works really well!