To GAD or not to GAD, that is the question...

mbudzi

I was diagnosed T1 two years ago. Today at my review the Consultant suggested a GAD test as I am still taking small doses of insulin (11.5 units split day and night).

He said my treatment is unlikely to change so what is the benefit of doing this test?

Can anyone explain? I've been trying to read about LADA, MODY, 1.5, but not making much progress in terms of understanding how they are different and what might be different in the treatment. Unless I am mistakenly T2 (which given I do need insulin albeit in small doses, I can't see I can be) what does the GAD test tell me?

Can anyone technical explain this?

Thank you.

elaine77

Hi mbudzi

I would get the GAD test as it will confirm whether you have auto immune diabetes or not... Type 1.5 is a slow onset form of type 1 diabetes and the medical professionals don't know much about it or what causes it or why it progresses so slowly.. It's important to have a definitive diagnosis for research reasons even though your treatment may be the same regardless.. Many people want the GAD test and their GPs won't give it so if its being offered to you I would most definitely take it, it can only provide you with more information about your diabetes :)

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 23 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.

mbudzi

Thanks for the replies.

Just rang my GP - they don't know anything about doing these blood tests? I need to have them done at hospital ... :roll:

elaine77

Yes I got referred to the consultant at the hospital too, the GP surgeries don't do these blood tests I don't think..

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 22 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.