Tom Kerrige

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Perhaps he is simply recognising that there is more than one way to "skin a cat" - i.e. reduce weight, in this case. There are still plenty of people who prefer to follow a reduced calorie aproach over any other, or for a specific purpose. For example, there are several people on this site who are currently following the ND for their own purposes.

We talk a lot about each of us being different; how we should all accept those differences and take account of variety without judging eachother, or anyone else. There are times when I don't see so much of that around as there used to be.
Someone (the OP) asked us to give our opinion, and so we did, If you have tried his recipes and found they were ok, then you are welcome to say so, and so counteact our negativity. But again, I see noone who is non ID supporting him in this thread, or posting their personal experience of his diet, The floor is open for debate,

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People shouting while on their phones.
I have ordered a low carb cookery book now thanx for all your help friends.xx

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh well said!
Tom K is not advocating an ND style approach, so it is not part of the discussion. The ND diet is a VLcal diet, but that is not what his latest book is practicing, so is not relevant. We would most probably be more positive toward him of he was doing ultra low cal recipes.

Reactions: therower

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have ordered a low carb cookery book now thanx for all your help friends.xx
Please come back when you have tried it for a while and let us know how your journey went. There is a lot of info on LC diet in the threads here, as well as other LC diets (i,e, LCHF is not the only LC diet we use (there are others equally successful))..

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was so disappointed with the BBC series, I turned it off after 5 mins (so yes, you could say I didn’t give it a fair trial). The thing that I find amazing is that he has personally lost 12st on LCHF. By his own admission, he has restored his vitality, his love of life and his virility. But instead of using his experience and his personal achievement to motivate and inspire others, he has chosen the good old BBC path, same old, same old.

I bought ‘The Dopamine Diet’, fabulous book. Introduction full of inspiration, recipes complex, with layers of flavours, satisfying. Not the sort of stuff you’d cook every day, but when you want to push the boat out, fabulous recipes. But then he peddles to his dieters CI/CO rubbish, that we all know nobody can stick to long term. After a very few ‘spats’ had to ‘unfollow’ him on Twitter, it was all too painful. He had a huge opportunity to share his insight, knowledge and understanding of the super satisfying and effective LCHF diet, and he ‘took the shilling’ from the BBC, in my opinion.

Reactions: Mark_1

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was so disappointed with the BBC series, I turned it off after 5 mins (so yes, you could say I didn’t give it a fair trial). The thing that I find amazing is that he has personally lost 12st on LCHF. By his own admission, he has restored his vitality, his love of life and his virility. But instead of using his experience and his personal achievement to motivate and inspire others, he has chosen the good old BBC path, same old, same old.

I bought ‘The Dopamine Diet’, fabulous book. Introduction full of inspiration, recipes complex, with layers of flavours, satisfying. Not the sort of stuff you’d cook every day, but when you want to push the boat out, fabulous recipes. But then he peddles to his dieters CI/CO rubbish, that we all know nobody can stick to long term. After a very few ‘spats’ had to ‘unfollow’ him on Twitter, it was all too painful. He had a huge opportunity to share his insight, knowledge and understanding of the super satisfying and effective LCHF diet, and he ‘took the shilling’ from the BBC, in my opinion.
He puts his weight loss down to low carb, alcohol abstention and going to the gym every day, yet you have decided which one of these 3 things is responsible, as for what he "peddles", he is a chef who makes programmes telling people how to make tasty food. He is not the nation`s conscience or the governments advisor on the ideal diabetic diet.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I had a similar experience this Xmas watching Jamie Oliver give his Christmas Fare programmes. I sat open mouthed with drool running down my chin, and watched him add shovelfulls of high carb sugary additives to things like a veg dish or gravy. I was mesmerised, and my OH was sold, but in the end we had a middling LC diet that worked for me. Yes I spiked, but my average Xmas splash out was better than the last two years in terms of average bgl, and I am back down low again. Tonight we tried a Michael Greger recipe, and it spiked me higher than my highest Xmas excursion (higher even than the Xmas Pudding with Brandy Butter and meringue !!!) Sorry to go off topic, but we have parallel universes sometimes.

Reactions: Serena51

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
he is a chef who makes programmes telling people how to make tasty food

But not in his current series.. he is a chef "selling" a weight loss method which he admits he has failed to loose weight with.
This surely makes him either stupid or a complete hypocrite?

He puts his weight loss down to low carb, alcohol abstention and going to the gym every day

Also from my personal experience it is diet that is the key. I gave up drinking 10 years ago but continued to put on weight. I went to the gym for decades and still put on weight. I cut out virtually all carbs and the weight fell off.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
He puts his weight loss down to low carb, alcohol abstention and going to the gym every day, yet you have decided which one of these 3 things is responsible, as for what he "peddles", he is a chef who makes programmes telling people how to make tasty food. He is not the nation`s conscience or the governments advisor on the ideal diabetic diet.
Agree but this is a diabetes forum, so it is important we give our considered opinion and experience rather than praise him for all the Newbies to follow, We have a responsibility towards others using this forum.

L1ncslass

Type of diabetes
Type 2
To lose weight on one eating regime LCHF then do a TV program on the complete opposite only serves to confuse and continues to promote a diet that is not as successful as LCHF

WHERE do we have a furnace in our bodies that burns food? [I've stated this for years and now a video to back it up see link below] We metabolise different food groups in complex metabolic pathways we DO NOT burn calories. If Low Fat diets work, the diet industry would have gone out of business, a victim of it's own success. LCHF way of eating with IF is what we were designed to do and should not be limited to just diabetics.

Reactions: Serena51 and Mark_1

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But not in his current series.. he is a chef "selling" a weight loss method which he admits he has failed to loose weight with.

Also from my personal experience it is diet that is the key. I gave up drinking 10 years ago but continued to put on weight. I went to the gym for decades and still put on weight. I cut out virtually all carbs and the weight fell off.
I saw the before and after pics that prove that. Well done.

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Have any of the people on his programme lost weight? If so then maybe something is working, whether it will work in the long term remains to be seen. And as for your "personal" experience, well I have nothing but admiration for what you have achieved but that is you, not everyone, I read on this forum frequently that we are all different , apparently.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To lose weight on one eating regime LCHF then do a TV program on the complete opposite only serves to confuse and continues to promote a diet that is not as successful as LCHF

WHERE do we have a furnace in our bodies that burns food? [I've stated this for years and now a video to back it up see link below] We metabolise different food groups in complex metabolic pathways we DO NOT burn calories. If Low Fat diets work, the diet industry would have gone out of business, a victim of it's own success. LCHF way of eating with IF is what we were designed to do and should not be limited to just diabetics.

Very useful video, but he is IMHO not totally correct, We use up energy by the very act of digesting food, and some processes cost more than others, and some are efficient, others not so, So calories are indeed relevant since these give an indication of the amount of energy that can be released. After all we are warm blooded mammals, and that heat comes from somewhere, which must be from the food we eat. In fact, if the old hypothesis of CI/CO was true, then surely the most efficient way to lose weight must be to sit in the cold and shiver it off.

However, that said, his take that it is mainly a set of chemical processes and not a furnace is also a better model of what is happening to that donut we ate earlier. There is not really a simple linear relationship between the potential energy in the food, and the storage of fat and water and glucogen that actually transpires, so the nutritional model of calories in/out does not apply, and I am happy to accept that obesity is a hormonal disorder.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have any of the people on his programme lost weight? If so then maybe something is working, whether it will work in the long term remains to be seen. And as for your "personal" experience, well I have nothing but admiration for what you have achieved but that is you, not everyone, I read on this forum frequently that we are all different , apparently.
I too have personal experience so BB is not the only one. Speaking of "personal experience", have you tried any of his recipes and tested your bgl? May I suggest that until some people post this as a personal experience, then I will maintain my stance in this matter.

Reactions: Speedbird

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you actually read ‘The Dopamine Diet’ book? The introductory chapter clearly lays out the diet he followed and the reasoning behind it and it clearly was a low carb diet, probably not as low as I choose to go, but nonetheless most definitely Low Carb. It extols the virtues of his luscious, natural, tasty food. Although the recipes are complex and most are too carby for me for normal eating as I try to stick below 30g carbs a day, they are delicious for high days and holidays.

I believe that, having learned from his personal experience the ‘gold standard’ diet that restored his health, he should make it very clear that the calorie controlled diet is not what worked for him. Close to 50 years of experience tells us that Calories In / Calories Out is not the solution, eating natural, real food that is satisfying and does not drive hunger as a result of the Insulin response is.

And yes, of course, exercise was a factor and alcohol abstention also, although it was beer he was drinking, so the massive reduction in carbs from not drinking huge volumes of beer was probably the most significant factor.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found it very telling that he says right at the start of his new prog that the "habits and lifestyles require a different approach"
Now nearly everyone in the western world has tried a low calorie diet for a short period of time. These people may loose a bit of weight but, and we know this is the main problem, the habits and lifestyles that led to their weight gain in the past will do the same again once they have finished the diet. Without changing the lifestyles and habits they have a virtually zero chance of maintaining the weight loss. Doomed to failure poor things.

Jo123

I was disappointed in his programme, I've got the dopamine diet and it has some good recipes in it.
I've always had a normal bmi, but before I low carbed I was always hungry! Since low carbing I have a lower normal bmi and I'm not hungry all the time. Tom kerridge isn't responsible for the nation's health but I'm disappointed that he's not promoting a diet that worked for him and was easy and he felt good on.

Reactions: Mark_1 and Mr_Pot

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
He has now brought out a second book espousing low calorie food which as a whole load of us know doesn't help with long term weight loss.
Not exactly true calorie control does work for many people as long as they stick to it and know how many calories they can eat without putting the weight back on go back to eating to many and the weight goes on again. Exactly the same as people would on a low carb diet they would have to stick to it for life if they didn't want to put on weight again there is no magic diet that stops you putting weight back on when you stop it
TK knows what he did to loose weight is not going to suit everyone so calorie control is just another option. I wonder how many people here would have gone on a low carb diet simply to loose weight before they knew they had T2 would you have done ?

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was disappointed in his programme, I've got the dopamine diet and it has some good recipes in it.
I've always had a normal bmi, but before I low carbed I was always hungry! Since low carbing I have a lower normal bmi and I'm not hungry all the time. Tom kerridge isn't responsible for the nation's health but I'm disappointed that he's not promoting a diet that worked for him and was easy and he felt good on.
I don't think it was easy for him it took a lot of hard work and determination just as it would for anyone having to loose the amount of weight he did. I am sure he knows what he did would not suit everyone there is no one diet to suit all

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like it that Tom Kerrige has looked at 2 different ways of losing weight. Low carb which worked for him and also Low calorie. The Newcastle diet and 800 calories blood sugar diet both have helped a lot of people. I bought his first book but did find the recipes a bit too complicated and far too many ingredients, though it has given me some ideas. My take on losing weight is that there are many different ways which will suit different people. I did 500 calories less than what I was burning and that worked for me.
Best post on this thread