Tom Kerrige

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not exactly true calorie control does work for many people as long as they stick to it and know how many calories they can eat without putting the weight back on go back to eating to many and the weight goes on again. Exactly the same as people would on a low carb diet they would have to stick to it for life if they didn't want to put on weight again there is no magic diet that stops you putting weight back on when you stop it
TK knows what he did to loose weight is not going to suit everyone so calorie control is just another option. I wonder how many people here would have gone on a low carb diet simply to loose weight before they knew they had T2 would you have done ?
Had I known then how easy it was of course I would. Unfortunately being diagnosed with Type 2 was the driver for my weight loss and of course finding this site. However I disagree that lowering calories "works" for life as it can lead to metabolic slowdown (the so called biggest loser syndrome) where your body gets used to lower calories and slows down your metabolism to keep itself in homeostasis. That is why most people who loose weight via lowering caloric intake put it back on again.

Reactions: Mark_1 and Guzzler

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Best post on this thread
But T K latest offerings in book or on TV are definitely nothing like the Newcastle diet. Please leave ND out of this discussion. ND is certainly a valid diet which also helps Diabetes sufferers. The TK diet being pushed now is not helpful for diabetics, Yes it may work for weight loss, but is not suitable for bgl control. There have been studies last year that compared a standard (non processed food) diet against a selection of LC diets, and the LC diets were shown to be more effective for weight loss. Not everybody will follow LC diets with success, that is true, and we see it mentioned from time to time in the Forum. /But LC seems to work for a large percentage of people posting here for both bgl AND weight loss.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/23-studies-on-low-carb-and-low-fat-diets

Please be aware that Low Carb is not the same as ketogenic diet. There are valid LC diets apart from LCHF, such as Atkins, Paleo, Pioppi and variants, and indeed ND is also a keto diet according to Optifast.

Last edited:

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
. The TK diet being pushed now is not helpful for diabetics, Yes it may work for weight loss, but is not suitable for bgl control
In your opinion.. you really do not know what works for other people yes low carb of course works for many but there are always the ones it is not suitable for who need a different way and may want to try TK's diet and it is not for anyone to judge if it is right or wrong

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had I known then how easy it was of course I would. Unfortunately being diagnosed with Type 2 was the driver for my weight loss and of course finding this site. However I disagree that lowering calories "works" for life as it can lead to metabolic slowdown (the so called biggest loser syndrome) where your body gets used to lower calories and slows down your metabolism to keep itself in homeostasis. That is why most people who loose weight via lowering caloric intake put it back on again.
I am no longer on LCHF, but using Pioppi diet which is a non keto version of LCHF, Here is my weight chart since I started to take control of my bgl in 2014. My daily bgl average is running at 6.0 mmol/l having now recovered from the 7.2 it rose to while I suspended my diet over Xmas.

Attachments

• weight Q1.pdf
    171.7 KB · Views: 365

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In your opinion.. you really do not know what works for other people yes low carb of course works for many but there are always the ones it is not suitable for who need a different way and may want to try TK's diet and it is not for anyone to judge if it is right or wrong
It was our opinions that the OP asked for. I am obliging by NOT recommending the TK diet as it is being put forward now for T2 diabetics, Simple. End Of......

Jo123

I don't think it was easy for him it took a lot of hard work and determination just as it would for anyone having to loose the amount of weight he did. I am sure he knows what he did would not suit everyone there is no one diet to suit all
Hi pink orchid, if you read his book he says "I haven't felt deprived or hungry for a minute" and "Everybody else I've ever met moans that diets are a pain and a struggle, but I honestly enjoy mine. I could not have kept going for so long if I didn't." Which does kind of imply that it was easy for him and I'm disappointed he didn't share this with others.

Reactions: Mark_1 and Oldvatr

Jo123

And I agree with you pink orchid calorie counting works, I've done it for years including losing my weight after having children, but easy it ain't. My friends would say you're lucky being slim but it was bloody hard work!

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Pub chef or not if he knew what was what how did he get so overweight? K
As @lovinglife pointed out Knowing what makes you overweight and being able to do something about it can be difficult, particularly if you have metabolic and/or other health issues. I have always been overweight and, when I was 20, tried a vlc diet that, after 2 months and hardly any weight loss, nearly killed me because my metabolism went into starvation mode and started to shut down some of my organs to protect the most vital ones to the extent that my GP told me to go home and eat a good meal! Following tests my endocrinologist told me that I was one of his few patients that could honestly blame their metabolism for their weight so, after realising that I would not lose weight, I followed what I thought was a healthy diet ie low sugar, low fat, wholewheat everything inc bread, pasta and rice, jacket or boiled potatoes, 5 pieces of fruit .......... until diagnosed with hypothyroidism, and starting medication for that, and T2 and changing to a lower carb diet. I have since lost weight, slowly but surely, but still have more to go.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
As @lovinglife pointed out Knowing what makes you overweight and being able to do something about it can be difficult, particularly if you have metabolic and/or other health issues. I have always been overweight and, when I was 20, tried a vlc diet that, after 2 months and hardly any weight loss, nearly killed me because my metabolism went into starvation mode and started to shut down some of my organs to protect the most vital ones to the extent that my GP told me to go home and eat a good meal! Following tests my endocrinologist told me that I was one of his few patients that could honestly blame their metabolism for their weight so, after realising that I would not lose weight, I followed what I thought was a healthy diet ie low sugar, low fat, wholewheat everything inc bread, pasta and rice, jacket or boiled potatoes, 5 pieces of fruit .......... until diagnosed with hypothyroidism, and starting medication for that, and T2 and changing to a lower carb diet. I have since lost weight, slowly but surely, but still have more to go.
Hi Daphne917 Tom Kerriidges weight gain was from drink not so much from food its how he relaxed at the end of a day with his friends,how people deal with things in their lives is after all their decisions and he's dealing with it by having gone on this diet and stopping the drink! I wholly admire the man but he had to be able to see what was happening to him he was a food expert we are not. I too have lost 4 1/2 stone after a lifetime of not being able to because like you I couldn't and was never given any help with how to deal with it, the LCHF diet has worked for me too, so I still stick to he knew what he was doing, but he's now dealt with his problems and good luck to him. K

Reactions: Pinkorchid

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know.. completely shoots himself in the foot.. "I did it this way but you won;t be able to stick to that so here's more of the usual rubbish that you won't be able to stick to either but now I've got 2 books for you to buy". I have lost any respect I had for him previously with his dopamine diet book.

Really?
Isn't it interesting how you can have two equally valid but different views on something. I saw the first programme title sequence but not much of the show but I thought "well done Tom!" Personally I thought he disclaimed at the beginning the show wasn't low carb so I didnt either have a desire to watch what I cannot eat nor did I feel betrayed.

The scenario I imagine is that a marketing and production company would have approached him to do a show (his living) and he would have got a set of what they wanted. Unless you are Tom Cusise you get almost no editorial control over a programme being made - plenty of other celeb chefs to go to and he needs to earn his living to. We might even be underestimating how hard he fought - what compromises he had to make for them to allow him to do the speech at the beginning. We just don't know.

Perhaps he said - "ok, I will do and produce food that meets your market analysis but I want to be able to share the idea to millions at the start of the show that I did this through giving up carbs (which I thought was good as opposed to sugar) exercise and....". And didnt he use the words "but I know not everyone will be able to do this because it is hard" - and isn't that true? My goodness I have to do this and I find it extremely hard.

I said to my wife - at last someone famous has come out and said I made this major adjustment to my life through a low carb diet - and millions of people now hear that every week. When the next person is brave enough to say it - then people are going to start 1+1 together and make 2 and then it is a downhill slope.

I see your point entirely but until I read your post I gained respect for Tom and I think I still have.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinkorchid

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Really?
Isn't it interesting how you can have two equally valid but different views on something. I saw the first programme title sequence but not much of the show but I thought "well done Tom!" Personally I thought he disclaimed at the beginning the show wasn't low carb so I didnt either have a desire to watch what I cannot eat nor did I feel betrayed.

The scenario I imagine is that a marketing and production company would have approached him to do a show (his living) and he would have got a set of what they wanted. Unless you are Tom Cusise you get almost no editorial control over a programme being made - plenty of other celeb chefs to go to and he needs to earn his living to. We might even be underestimating how hard he fought - what compromises he had to make for them to allow him to do the speech at the beginning. We just don't know.

Perhaps he said - "ok, I will do and produce food that meets your market analysis but I want to be able to share the idea to millions at the start of the show that I did this through giving up carbs (which I thought was good as opposed to sugar) exercise and....". And didnt he use the words "but I know not everyone will be able to do this because it is hard" - and isn't that true? My goodness I have to do this and I find it extremely hard.

I said to my wife - at last someone famous has come out and said I made this major adjustment to my life through a low carb diet - and millions of people now here that every week. When the next person is brave enough to say it - then people are going to start 1+1 together and make 2 and then it is a downhill slope.

I see your point entirely but until I read your post I gained respect for Tom and I think I still have.
I'm in no way knocking Tom Kerridges achievements at all but he had both the knowledge and the means to help himself and he has, not everyone has! That's the only point I was making nothing more! K

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a problem with most celebrity chefs and guru's. My OH follows Jamie Oliver, and we have bought his recipe books for the last 5 or so years. I remember the first one we got was at the time he was banging on about turkey twizzlers and school food. The he started the Sainsbury's adverts, and started promoting foods that I now recognise as being harmful to me as a T2D. His Xmas Fare has always been high fat, high carb, high sugar, and his TV progs this year were no exception. Shedloads of sugar and honey etc, and no attempt to offer sugar substitutes as an alternative.

So JO has sold out to the 'please the masses' brigade because it follows currrent nutrition advice. He has never really been a rebel and I have not really seen him give a convincing spiel on No Sugar even though he says he supports it.

I think TK is also following the same yellow brick road, and has also sold out,

Reactions: Granny_grump_

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm in no way knocking Tom Kerridges achievements at all but he had both the knowledge and the means to help himself and he has, not everyone has! That's the only point I was making nothing more! K

Agree - I meant to reply more generically certainly not aimed at any one of the posts in the thread.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have a problem with most celebrity chefs and guru's. My OH follows Jamie Oliver, and we have bought his recipe books for the last 5 or so years. I remember the first one we got was at the time he was banging on about turkey twizzlers and school food. The he started the Sainsbury's adverts, and started promoting foods that I now recognise as being harmful to me as a T2D. His Xmas Fare has always been high fat, high carb, high sugar, and his TV progs this year were no exception. Shedloads of sugar and honey etc, and no attempt to offer sugar substitutes as an alternative.

So JO has sold out to the 'please the masses' brigade because it follows currrent nutrition advice. He has never really been a rebel and I have not really seen him give a convincing spiel on No Sugar even though he says he supports it.

I think TK is also following the same yellow brick road, and has also sold out,
Your probably right with your following the masses view it's TV and they all need to work and earn money,and it's not fashionable to cut out the sugar never mind all the people this could harm but I blame the food industry they could reduce the sugar content, the question is why don't they?? Money! K

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
- at last someone famous has come out and said I made this major adjustment to my life through a low carb diet

I think that message will easily get lost within the low calorie nonsense that the rest of the program is littered with though,, don't you?
Also won't people think "well he is now showing us how to do low calorie so that must work even better" ?

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that message will easily get lost within the low calorie nonsense that the rest of the program is littered with though,, don't you?
Also won't people think "well he is now showing us how to do low calorie so that must work even better" ?

@bulkbiker somehow or other my post was so clumsy that I was unable to get my point across.
I an unable to debate what people thought - because I have no way of finding that out and evidencing it in any scale that might conclude the debate.

I was simply offering an opinion, based on some production experience, that perhaps rather than feel bad that he isn't demonstrating low carb - perhaps we could give him some credit that he is at least mentioning it. He has done at least one set of shows as the new slim Tom and never mentioned it - so I am delighted that somehow someway he managed to not just say it once - but say it many many times.

Well done Tom.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As pointed out in an ealier part of this thread, TK gave up high carb, alcohol, and started going to the gym. He is not (to my knowledge) a diabetic and will not be aware of this site. So going LC for him is a minor adjusment, but not the only contributor to his weight loss. In fact he probably regards exercise as the prime mover in his diet. He is probably vaguely aware of the LC movement, probably from Atkins or South Beach. but is probably totally unaware of LCHF or similar keto diets that are only recently being discussed in the media. So for TK, LC is probably quite low on his list of things to do.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@bulkbiker somehow or other my post was so clumsy that I was unable to get my point across.
I an unable to debate what people thought - because I have no way of finding that out and evidencing it in any scale that might conclude the debate.

I was simply offering an opinion, based on some production experience, that perhaps rather than feel bad that he isn't demonstrating low carb - perhaps we could give him some credit that he is at least mentioning it. He has done at least one set of shows as the new slim Tom and never mentioned it - so I am delighted that somehow someway he managed to not just say it once - but say it many many times.

Well done Tom.
I understood @Fleegle and I felt you made a valid point.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Judge it? This is not a court of Law, it is a discussion, and we are expressing opinions. If I see something that my experience, [and the experience of many others I add to say], may be harmful for a specific group of people, then I have a duty to speak out against it to alert people who do not have the experience to make an informed decision from coming to any harm. Both sides need to be discussed and differences aired so others less experienced can make sensible decisions on what they need for their way forward.
On one Forum I used to frequent, I saw a posting that recommended cancer sufferers eat ground up almond kernals as part of a an alkaline diet. Now the kernals contain a substance that the HCL in our stomach chemically converts into cyanide, and is potentially lethal. My son had cancer, and read the same Forum, He was not aware of this chemical reaction, and had actually bought the almond kernals from the poster's MLM business that was flogging dubious supplements, but then he read my response, did some of his own research ,and he lives to tell the tale. Just because someone writes a book or a blog, or does a TV programme and becomes a guru does not guarantee that they are infallible, or that their advice is safe

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People shouting while on their phones.
Loved reading all these replies.I am gradually getting to grips with it and it seems I hope I am right, meat, roasted or fried cut out or limit potatoes and bread.I am starting to read labels now and checking carbs.Only thing I can't do is use block butter as I use too much but am using Clover as I can monitor it more.Carrots and other below ground veg have to be avoided.If I have anything wrong please let me know.x