Too buff to pump

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes apparently I am too buff to pump. I know, I was shocked too.

Two canula failures in a row and a weekend fighting DKA from my trusty sick bucket sent me back to the DSN looking for answers. Both canulas had failed to penetrate the skin and were bent double under the plaster.

DSN reckons this is because I have too much muscle under my fat (believe me it is a LONG way under). Apparently the insertion needle is bouncing off the muscle layer and failing to insert the canula. So the solution is not steel canulas as I was expecting, but 30 degree angled canulas (Inset 30). These will avoid the muscle and just insert the canula sideways into the fat layer.

Hopefully with more reliable canula insertion I can continue with the pump and avoid DKA in future.

Reactions: 6 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Are you using the insets from Animas? If so there have been two or three reports of sets not going in. If you are using them tell your dsn and Animas.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes the failures were all with the Inset II sets from Animas. In addition to 3 that failed to insert but did stick to the skin, probably another 3 that just visibly bounced off without sticking. Out of less than 20 as I'm new to the pump. I thought it was my technique. Then I thought it was my body shape.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was using my tummy which is very wobbly. I switched to my thighs which are flat and firm, which seemed to work better as they are a more stable surface to insert into. But DSN says thighs are a no no, too close to muscle, like with pens, the risk is too rapid absorption (and thinking about it, surely that's a good thing once you adjust for it?)

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Yes the failures were all with the Inset II sets from Animas. In addition to 3 that failed to insert insert but did stick to the skin, probably another 3 that just visibly bounced off without sticking. Out of less than 20 as I'm new to the pump. I thought it was my technique. Then I thought it was my body shape.

Then please get hold of Animas and tell your DSN as there is obviously a problem with the cannulas and not you. It's very important you do this.

Reactions: 2 people

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was using my tummy which is very wobbly. I switched to my thighs which are flat and firm, which seemed to work better as they are a more stable surface to insert into. But DSN says thighs are a no no, too close to muscle, like with pens, the risk is too rapid absorption (and thinking about it, surely that's a good thing once you adjust for it?)

I inject into my thighs, dr is quite happy with this as site rotation is important obviously. You must be very slim for that not to be an option!

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

SandyDee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had trouble with Animas insets before, although definitely not because I'm too buff!! I seem to go through stages where they just wont stick to my skin. I have spoken to Animas about this, they have gone from bad batch to over-moisturised skin to shrugging shoulders. It just seems to happen with some people. As for the wobbly versus flat and firm I find mine are more likely to stay put if I put them right round the side so that they're sort of on my hip (where it's less wobbly).

Reactions: 2 people

iHs

Thankfully I have a flattish tummy so theres not a lot of flab. However, Ive always stood up in putting a set like Flexlink or Inset in and then youve got a nice flat surface to hold the inserter against and fire the set in.

The only set that Ive sat down for to create some flab is the Tenderlink

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
Spiker, I've had 2 or 3 problems with these sets. Incl blood on the sticky so today I have come away with 10 of the inset 30. DSN asked daughter if I could practise on one of her teddys. So I will try them.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I inject into my thighs, dr is quite happy with this as site rotation is important obviously. You must be very slim for that not to be an option!

I tried my basal in my thigh, once. Hurt like hell as I have no fat there at all to speak of. Stick to my ar$e now, wvwn that hurts sometimes if I catch it wrong

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I tried my basal in my thigh, once. Hurt like hell as I have no fat there at all to speak of. Stick to my ar$e now, wvwn that hurts sometimes if I catch it wrong

I use the fleshy bit at the side/back of the leg near the top. It can nip if you catch it wrong though! I am sometimes in dresses so stomach or buttocks aren't readily available. So the thigh is reserved for those occasions. Usually basal in buttocks though and bolus in stomach

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use the fleshy bit at the side/back of the leg near the top. It can nip if you catch it wrong though! I am sometimes in dresses so stomach or buttocks aren't readily available. So the thigh is reserved for those occasions. Usually basal in buttocks though and bolus in stomach

That bit ain't fleshy on me!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That bit ain't fleshy on me!

Way to cheer a girl up there Dave ;)

What I basically mean is my doctor recommended the top of the thigh at the front which has no fat etc to inject into on me. So by moving things a touch it is tolerable