Too few calories?

Happyhomelands

Weighing in at 16 stone 2, I have lots of extra weight for my 5 foot 4 height. I have used a couple of of websites to predict a sensible calorie intake to lose weight, this comes out at 1600. I've been using the Nutracheck app to try to get these calories from a moderate carb diet.
Last night I got myself in a stress that I may be damaging my basal metabolic rate by taking in too few calories. So far I have not worried when I've had days where I've consumed 1000 ish calories, just tried not to go over. Now that I'm wondering if that was a mistake. Both my husband and I have been feeling weary lately.
Any thoughts please.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I doubt that you have done any harm. It can be good to keep your body guessing by varying the amount of calories anyway. I did do damage to my own metabolism, but that was by eating far too few calories over a very long period of time. Are you managing to lose some weight on your diet?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The OP mentions she is on a moderate carb diet, not low carb. Also this has been posted in the low calorie section, not the low carb section of the forum.

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Weighing in at 16 stone 2, I have lots of extra weight for my 5 foot 4 height. I have used a couple of of websites to predict a sensible calorie intake to lose weight, this comes out at 1600. I've been using the Nutracheck app to try to get these calories from a moderate carb diet.
Last night I got myself in a stress that I may be damaging my basal metabolic rate by taking in too few calories. So far I have not worried when I've had days where I've consumed 1000 ish calories, just tried not to go over. Now that I'm wondering if that was a mistake. Both my husband and I have been feeling weary lately.
Any thoughts please.

If, prior to reducing your calories you had been eating quite a bit more, your fatigue could just be your body protesting at the change.

Our bodies like to work to a routine - not just when we're going to eat, but to an extent what we're going to eat. For example, if we change our diet radically, it can take our body a few days to get used to producing the correct digestive enzymes in the correct quantities.

If you want to read about that a bit more, you could try searching on "last meal effect".

Shorter term, significantly reducing your calories isn't likely to do any lasting harm, and if you're losing weight, your body is likely to need fewer calories to run your reduced body mass. As @zand suggests, the odd higher calorie day would be the way I might go, if I feared going into starvation mode. The secret is not doing too many of those days, if you want to trim up a bit.

Good luck with it all.

Reactions: Happyhomelands

Happyhomelands

If, prior to reducing your calories you had been eating quite a bit more, your fatigue could just be your body protesting at the change.

Our bodies like to work to a routine - not just when we're going to eat, but to an extent what we're going to eat. For example, if we change our diet radically, it can take our body a few days to get used to producing the correct digestive enzymes in the correct quantities.

If you want to read about that a bit more, you could try searching on "last meal effect".

Shorter term, significantly reducing your calories isn't likely to do any lasting harm, and if you're losing weight, your body is likely to need fewer calories to run your reduced body mass. As @zand suggests, the odd higher calorie day would be the way I might go, if I feared going into starvation mode. The secret is not doing too many of those days, if you want to trim up a bit.

Good luck with it all.
Thank you for taking the time to reply. Your comments sound very sensible. I seem to have the odd slip up so is probably OK to soldier on.

Happyhomelands

I doubt that you have done any harm. It can be good to keep your body guessing by varying the amount of calories anyway. I did do damage to my own metabolism, but that was by eating far too few calories over a very long period of time. Are you managing to lose some weight on your diet?
Sadly have only managed 12 pounds since January, hence the gradual downward calorie count and reduced number of cheat days. I have mostly been eating to plan but I'm guessing insulin resistance is fighting back. As my husband is also dieting I'm feeling responsible for his health too. I've been giving him more than me but he is keen to go lower. He's also got quite a bit to lose.
Thankyou for your comments. It's encouraging and appreciated.

Happyhomelands

most low carbers dont bother with cals as it becomes to complicated.
The app I use list calories, I've only used it as a double check. I have been surprised at how low calorie some of my meals have been. Had a few shocks the other way when retrospectively checking out cheats. Cheese! Ouch!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sadly have only managed 12 pounds since January, hence the gradual downward calorie count and reduced number of cheat days. I have mostly been eating to plan but I'm guessing insulin resistance is fighting back. As my husband is also dieting I'm feeling responsible for his health too. I've been giving him more than me but he is keen to go lower. He's also got quite a bit to lose.
Thankyou for your comments. It's encouraging and appreciated.

Hi there - Is that 12lb since last month, or January last year? If it's last month, that's a magnificent weight loss. Losing too much too fast gives your skin an extra challenge too, so moisturise, moisturise, moisturise!

Happyhomelands

Hi there - Is that 12lb since last month, or January last year? If it's last month, that's a magnificent weight loss. Losing too much too fast gives your skin an extra challenge too, so moisturise, moisturise, moisturise!
Yes since January, almost half a stone a month.... but so much effort. Others seem to be going much quicker. Thank you for the tip to moisturise, its not something I normally do and my skin is looking a bid sad.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes since January, almost half a stone a month.... but so much effort. Others seem to be going much quicker. Thank you for the tip to moisturise, its not something I normally do and my skin is looking a bid sad.

The recommendation for a healthy weight loss is 2lbs a week, so half a stone from January was on track. :)

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
fast weight loss is not wise. your adapting your life style not just a crash diet. the idea is not to be hungry

Happyhomelands

fast weight loss is not wise. your adapting your life style not just a crash diet. the idea is not to be hungry
Thanks I haven't been too hungry, a new phenomenon for me. I think I'm probably weighing too often. Also tempted by the huge losses reported by some.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks I haven't been too hungry, a new phenomenon for me. I think I'm probably weighing too often. Also tempted by the huge losses reported by some.

Please don't compare yourself with others,. It isn't a competition. We all have different bodies and different metabolisms. Just keep track of your own weight loss trend and be happy you are losing. Some of us find the weight drops off, and some of us don't, but the healthy way is up to 2lbs a week.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Happyhomelands you sound like you’re doing really well. Do remember too when comparing to others some people also change their rate of loss over time. Some like me start off with a rapid loss and then slow down others stay steady but end result in terms of time is often similar it took me 6 months to lose three stone which averages at slightly less than 2 pounds a week it’s just some weeks I had bigger losses and some none it’s very individual. Also make sure you don’t just weigh also take measurements of your middle as some times even when nothing going on scales it may reflect in the tape measure which can help keep the motivation up. There’s no hurry to get to the finish line it’s a way of eating you’re adopting. You will get there and need to pat yourself on the back for doing so well to date well done