Prediabetes Too much weight loss on LCHF?

maxine212

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi, All,
I've been on LCHF for about a year. My bg is stable. I weighed 158lb (5'5.5" tall, 70 y.o. female) when I started. Now I weigh 130 or a shade less. Dr. asked me to lose 8-10 lbs and when I had lost more than that, he told me to stop losing weight. But, as you all know, I'm ketonising (sp). I'm not fasting. I'm not hungry. I'm not keeping track of # of carbs, but as a guess, having something like 65g a day. No pasta or sugar. Have added in 1 or 2 small slices of 8 grain, 3 seed bread and frozen yogurt pop (15gm carb) daily in last few months. Eat meat, cheese, veg, eggs, some berries, small glass of wine, fish and that grainy bread and yogurt pop, heavy cream in coffee.

I keep losing weight. I'm not exactly skeletal, but thin. I'm seeing dr. tomorrow. He doesn't really understand LCHF.

Q. if he tells me to STOP losing weight, how best to maintain w/o losing more? Add carbs? Or?
Thanks in advance for input!

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
130lbs at five feet five is 21.6 BMI... Pretty much ideal wieght I'd day.

Increase fat to maintain or add more bulk. I've managed 4lb gain in 2 weeks by adding low carb high fat smoothie to my diet daily.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, All,
I've been on LCHF for about a year. My bg is stable. I weighed 158lb (5'5.5" tall, 70 y.o. female) when I started. Now I weigh 130 or a shade less. Dr. asked me to lose 8-10 lbs and when I had lost more than that, he told me to stop losing weight. But, as you all know, I'm ketonising (sp). I'm not fasting. I'm not hungry. I'm not keeping track of # of carbs, but as a guess, having something like 65g a day. No pasta or sugar. Have added in 1 or 2 small slices of 8 grain, 3 seed bread and frozen yogurt pop (15gm carb) daily in last few months. Eat meat, cheese, veg, eggs, some berries, small glass of wine, fish and that grainy bread and yogurt pop, heavy cream in coffee.

I keep losing weight. I'm not exactly skeletal, but thin. I'm seeing dr. tomorrow. He doesn't really understand LCHF.

Q. if he tells me to STOP losing weight, how best to maintain w/o losing more? Add carbs? Or?
Thanks in advance for input!

The only thing you can do is increase your calories without increasing your carbs. I was in a similar position to you 2 and a half years ago and found the right balance after a bit of trial and error. OK a lot of trial and error! I eventually found what worked for me. I added an extra egg a day and introduced cheese to my diet (I hadn't eaten any previously), plus a coffee with cream every day and went back to my previous habit of a glass of red every evening. So that was extra fat, extra protein, and the wine. (The wine is also good for helping cholesterol by the way). No extra carbs. In fact I lowered my carbs for blood sugar reasons. It took me a month or two to find this balance and I calorie counted for a few weeks. I have maintained my new ideal weight now for the last 2 and a half years with no more than an odd pound fluctuation.

Reactions: Pipp and maxine212

maxine212

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
130lbs at five feet five is 21.6 BMI... Pretty much ideal wieght I'd day.

Increase fat to maintain or add more bulk. I've managed 4lb gain in 2 weeks by adding low carb high fat smoothie to my diet daily.
TY, James. Is LCHF smoothie a known item? lol. If i look it up? or what are the ingredients? Oh, just saw the whole of your post, not just the headline. (I'm still a noob.) Thanks, again, Maxine

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Wouldn't it be great if everyone could achieve their ideal weight!!!

I too would not increase carbs but rather fat. Nuts and seeds as well as dairy are known to help put on weight, or not lose it.

Reactions: maxine212

maxine212

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Wouldn't it be great if everyone could achieve their ideal weight!!!

I too would not increase carbs but rather fat. Nuts and seeds as well as dairy are known to help put on weight, or not lose it.
Kristen, TY, I eat nuts constantly! and cheese! yes. ;) dr. says, you eat cheese EVERY DAY? and put me on low dose of statins. which I have now ditched. He calls weight loss my "hard work." Noooooo. It's LCHF. :)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Kristen, TY, I eat nuts constantly! and cheese! yes. ;) dr. says, you eat cheese EVERY DAY? and put me on low dose of statins. which I have now ditched. He calls weight loss my "hard work." Noooooo. It's LCHF. :)
Are you still losing weight? As said you have a great BMI so maybe this weight is your homeostasis.

maxine212

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Kristin, yes, still losing. (and per your avi, forgot to say eating at least one avocado a wk.) it's not so dramatic, but I had been holding at 132 lbs and after a few days of not weighing, stepped on scale, thinking -- maybe i have gained. but no. down another 2 lbs. so is this my homeostatis? what's your guess? when i was 20 (fifty years and a half inch taller ago!) i weighed 125.

P.S. have been carrying weight in belly and had been officially diagnosed with NAFLD when I went LCHF. belly is flat now.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If you are happy with your weight and not stick thin then don't worry about the weight. As many in the NHS are obese their reference levels are not always good ones and their weight/height/age charts are also too general.

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally, I pay little attention to BMI these days, mine is currently 21.5

What is more relevant to me is body fat. I'm currently 16.5% fat and want to gain to around 20% and then hold steady. As a guy in his early fifties I'm told around 20% would be ideal for optimum health, so that's what I'm aiming for. I was 13 stone, I'm currently 11 but was 10 stone 7 at my lowest.

By my calculation, 11 and half stone is where I need to be which will give me a BMI of just over 22 I believe.

In answer to the smoothie question, I'm gaining by throwing the following into my nutribullet and drinking it once daily.

Handful of nuts
Spoonful of peanut butter
Half an avocado
100ml double cream
2 spoons of Greek yogurt
Handful of berries
Few hundred ml of water to make it drinkable.

Works out around 750-1000 cals and I'm gaining 2lb a week or just over this way on average.

maxine212

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Personally, I pay little attention to BMI these days, mine is currently 21.5

What is more relevant to me is body fat. I'm currently 16.5% fat and want to gain to around 20% and then hold steady. As a guy in his early fifties I'm told around 20% would be ideal for optimum health, so that's what I'm aiming for. I was 13 stone, I'm currently 11 but was 10 stone 7 at my lowest.

By my calculation, 11 and half stone is where I need to be which will give me a BMI of just over 22 I believe.

In answer to the smoothie question, I'm gaining by throwing the following into my nutribullet and drinking it once daily.

Handful of nuts
Spoonful of peanut butter
Half an avocado
100ml double cream
2 spoons of Greek yogurt
Handful of berries
Few hundred ml of water to make it drinkable.

Works out around 750-1000 cals and I'm gaining 2lb a week or just over this way on average.

James -- thanks, I've cut and pasted your recipe. :)

Reactions: Jamesuk9

maxine212

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
If you are happy with your weight and not stick thin then don't worry about the weight. As many in the NHS are obese their reference levels are not always good ones and their weight/height/age charts are also too general.
I hear you. (My dr. is stick thin. dean ornish is his guru.) I'm happy with my new waistline, this i can say. but looking ahead, I was thinking i need a way to put the brakes on. Thanks for this.

Got some useful help today, all
Kristin, now looking at this weight is my "set-point."
James, I have to buy a blender! good suggestion and recipe.
Daibell, yes about reference levels. this is why eating cheese is cause for my dr.s alarm. so much coming out that saturated fats don't cause high cholesterol or CVD. Doctors either don't read this or don't believe it.

I won't be able to change dr. or his point of view. Good to have DF point of view.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Funny story. 30 years ago at my 2 MONTH POST pregnancy my ever so very round OBGYN told me I still had 4!pounds to lose!!! Really?
Kristin, yes, still losing. (and per your avi, forgot to say eating at least one avocado a wk.) it's not so dramatic, but I had been holding at 132 lbs and after a few days of not weighing, stepped on scale, thinking -- maybe i have gained. but no. down another 2 lbs. so is this my homeostatis? what's your guess? when i was 20 (fifty years and a half inch taller ago!) i weighed 125.

P.S. have been carrying weight in belly and had been officially diagnosed with NAFLD when I went LCHF. belly is flat now.
I eat at least an avocado a day and the bigger the better lol. My perfect fuel and keeps my bs low and slow.
I think your weight for your height is good and as said as long as your not stick thin. Losing belly fat is never a bed thing. That's where the visceral fat hangs out around your organs.
I don't think people can really get that fat eating nutritious veggies, quality proteins and healthy fats. Throw the carbs in and that's another story. My guess is it is your homeostasis and it will slow down. Weight loss is a side effect or benefit of lchf. Are you feeling better this way of eating? Any complaints ?

How's your protein intake? That's the only element not mentioned. Carbs and fat levels sound good to me.

maxine212

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Kristin, I had to do some work! Thanks for the lol and the good question. I see that I didn't mention protein. Yes, eat it aplenty, that is, every day. i make sure to eat a greens and tomatoes and nuts w/ olive oil and apple cider vinegar everyday. coffee w/cocoa, cinnamon, cream, stevia, every day, and green tea every day. Beef, chicken, fish, or eggs, once a day. TMI? lol.
Yes, I feel fine.
I'm amazed that this is satisfying. A handful of noodles with shrimp would be nice, but it's been a year since anything in the pasta/noodles/rice family. Whatever that is. :)
And you, an avocado every day. :) They are currently plentiful here.
I should just shut up and be happy. Thanks again. I feel much more confident than I did this morning. If I lose much more, I'll send up a flare.
All the best,
Maxine
:cat: