Tough mudder

disaster123

After completing my first ever 5k obstacle race (warrior adrenaline race) yesterday, I have said to a friend that I would participate in Tough mudder in October! Madness, however I have 5 months to get my shocking fitness levels (needed help on some of the upper body strength obstacles) up to scratch. However, due to queuing for obstacles I was off the pump for two hours yesterday. In Tough mudder, the course is at least 3x longer and there will be a much larger waiting time for each obstacle. Does anyone have any advice on what to do about the pump? I definitely felt much more drained yesterday than I should have, due to being off the pump for so long. However, I believe the stewards at tough mudder won't hold personal belongings, so I can't just detach at every obstacle.

Reactions: 2 people

Emma2589

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't offer you any advice on the pump, just wanted to say congratulations on the Warrior Adrenaline Race, I go to the bootcamp they run and did the race myself last year, very good and they work very hard on it!

Hope someone can answer your pump question!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

zicksi101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not on a pump and have never done tough mudder, so this idea might not be appropriate, however I do wonder if having an injection with you on the day would be useful? My understanding is a pump infuses insulin at intervals rather than providing a constant stream, so you could potentially replicate a similar efffect using injections if required?

The insulin vile for injections are generally made of glass though, which could obviously break, so you would need to be careful there.

Probably best to discuss options with your nurse/doctor to make sure whatever strategy you adopt is sound, and try putting the theory into practise as best you can during training.

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi disaster123,
Just wondering if you could get a spy belt to carry the pump in, and wear a pair of lycra shorts or even a tri-suit over the top to keep it safe?

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How long are you expecting to take? From discusssions with DSNs at Addenbrookes, you can remove the pump for 90 minutes or so if you manage it correctly.

megancarters

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
The Tough Mudder takes consideration to guarantee the trustworthiness and security of the occasion. Crisis work force will be accessible all through the race to guarantee the security of members amid the occasion. The most imperative thing for The Mud Run is the well being and welfare of members and onlookers.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
After completing my first ever 5k obstacle race (warrior adrenaline race) yesterday, I have said to a friend that I would participate in Tough mudder in October! Madness, however I have 5 months to get my shocking fitness levels (needed help on some of the upper body strength obstacles) up to scratch. However, due to queuing for obstacles I was off the pump for two hours yesterday. In Tough mudder, the course is at least 3x longer and there will be a much larger waiting time for each obstacle. Does anyone have any advice on what to do about the pump? I definitely felt much more drained yesterday than I should have, due to being off the pump for so long. However, I believe the stewards at tough mudder won't hold personal belongings, so I can't just detach at every obstacle.

Good for you for taking it on, fantastic.:D Sorry, I can't help with pump issues either, as I'm on injections.

Good luck RRB

Beedlebee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Disaster123, I see this was last year. Did you complete it and if so, what did you do with your pump? I'm after some ideas if you have any pump tips. Can't decide what to do with mine on my first OCR!