Transforming a cauliflower to rice

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would try refrying it, @Antje77 .
Hope you haven't been waiting for a reply if you are hungry.
;)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've never tried reheating it. It takes so little time to do that I just do it as the main element is about to be dished up.

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never tried reheating it. It takes so little time to do that I just do it as the main element is about to be dished up.
That would be a good strategy next time. But this time I wanted to know if it was edible before making the sauce, as no cauliflower would have meant adjusting the sauce a bit.
I reheated in the frying pan and I very much liked the result (as did the dogs with the leftovers on my plate :) )

Part of what's left is in the fridge and part in the freezer, so I'll find out how that works in due time.

In fact it was so successful that I think I'll make cauliflower rice when having Chinese take away again instead of the rice. Of course that still leaves me with sweet sauces and batter in some dishes, but taking the rice out will make the insulin guessing game at least a bit easier :)
70410971_10218432663722240_7637735673847349248_n.jpg

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That would be a good strategy next time. But this time I wanted to know if it was edible before making the sauce, as no cauliflower would have meant adjusting the sauce a bit.
I reheated in the frying pan and I very much liked the result (as did the dogs with the leftovers on my plate :) )

Part of what's left is in the fridge and part in the freezer, so I'll find out how that works in due time.

In fact it was so successful that I think I'll make cauliflower rice when having Chinese take away again instead of the rice. Of course that still leaves me with sweet sauces and batter in some dishes, but taking the rice out will make the insulin guessing game at least a bit easier :)
70410971_10218432663722240_7637735673847349248_n.jpg

I do all sorts with Cauli Rice - Pretendy Paella, Kedgeree, Pilau "Rice", Egg Fried "Rice", "Rice" and Peas, with Cajun spices, Risnotto (risotto, but not).

Honestly, once paella, pilau or other spices are added, it's very convincing. If doing a risnotto, rather than having the rice in with the meat, veg or whatever for a long time, just do the rest, with less fluid and add the cauli at the end, just to heat it through and soften the texture a little.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Hmmm I reheat mine all the time, but it does soften up if I've fried it. I'm not picky with leftovers and I always go for easy like frozen cauli rice in the first place. I'm just more likely to eat it more if more convenient! Just like microwaves, if I can cook it in the microwave I will.

It might stem from turning vegetarian and then vegan so long ago and having to make so many things from scratch, even chocolate chips that now I delight in not! (making)

Last edited:

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The cat in the picture looks as though it would also like to help with the cleaning of the plate.
:D

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has the cat just been delivered by Amazon?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The cat in the picture looks as though it would also like to help with the cleaning of the plate.
:D
The cat had finished a big blob of crème fraîche already, so I expect it was quite satiated :)

Reactions: Marie 2

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I do all sorts with Cauli Rice - Pretendy Paella, Kedgeree, Pilau "Rice", Egg Fried "Rice", "Rice" and Peas, with Cajun spices, Risnotto (risotto, but not).

Honestly, once paella, pilau or other spices are added, it's very convincing. If doing a risnotto, rather than having the rice in with the meat, veg or whatever for a long time, just do the rest, with less fluid and add the cauli at the end, just to heat it through and soften the texture a little.
With dinner todayfor us it was Caribbean cauliflower with a Jamaican jerk spice mix spicy but tasty.

Reactions: Antje77 and DCUKMod

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Can see it was a week ago you posted. Have you had a go at making cauliflower rice yet?
the way i did it was simple and not too messy. Cut the caulifliswer into large chunks and use he grater in a large bowl. You are no more likely to grate your fingers than when processing cheese.
Stir fried mine with turmeric and nigella seeds the first time, am going to try fried in butter next.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Can see it was a week ago you posted. Have you had a go at making cauliflower rice yet?
Did you mean to ask me? If so, just scroll up a bit and you'll find 2 pictures, one of the grating with the chickens and one of the resulting meal. I've decided I love cauliflower rice :)

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I buy the cauliflower rice from Aldi. It does me two sittings. I add onion, ginger, garlic, half a fresh tomato chopped and salt and pepper and fry it.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@Hotpepper20000

This is a keto version of Jerk spice
2 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp dried chives
1 tbsp dried thyme
1 tbsp ground allspice
2 tsp ground black pepper
2 tsp Scotch bonnet chili flakes
2 tsp garlic powder
½ tsp ground nutmeg
½ tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp sea salt (optional)

Gives far more than you need store what you dont use in a jar.

Rice a cauliflower head
skillet or frying pan on hob
Add butter to pan
when butter melted add rice plus spice to skillet/pan
stir around for a while while it heats up.
allow to saute for say five minutes on lowish heat

that's about it simple

I do add pinch of salt and black pepper to taste.
Though salt and pepper not really required as already in the spice mix

you can of course buy Jamaican Jerk Spice but it will have some sugar in it.

Last edited:

Hotpepper20000

@Hotpepper20000

This is a keto version of Jerk spice
2 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp dried chives
1 tbsp dried thyme
1 tbsp ground allspice
2 tsp ground black pepper
2 tsp Scotch bonnet chili flakes
2 tsp garlic powder
½ tsp ground nutmeg
½ tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp sea salt (optional)

Gives far more than you need store what you dont use in a jar.

Rice a cauliflower head
skillet or frying pan on hob
Add butter to pan
when butter melted add rice plus spice to skillet/pan
stir around for a while while it heats up.
allow to saute for say five minutes on lowish heat

that's about it simple

I do add pinch of salt and black pepper to taste.
Though salt and pepper not really required as already in the spice mix

you can of course buy Jamaican Jerk Spice but it will have some sugar in it.
Thank you. That’s sounds amazing.
Evening meal is now sorted.

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
I had a thought today and wondered whether anyone had tried replacing the pasta in a lasagne with thin layers of cauliflower mash. It sounded ok but didn't feel confident to try straight away. Have replaced the pasta with griddled strips of courgette but my beloved hated it and I wasn't keen either.
Ideas anyone?
Thanks in advance

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a thought today and wondered whether anyone had tried replacing the pasta in a lasagne with thin layers of cauliflower mash. It sounded ok but didn't feel confident to try straight away. Have replaced the pasta with griddled strips of courgette but my beloved hated it and I wasn't keen either.
Ideas anyone?
Thanks in advance
Not lasagna, but do you like aubergine? Moussaka is sort of lasagna with aubergine instead of pasta, when made without the potato (layers of bolognese like sauce and aubergine, topped with a thick layer of bechamel with lots of cheese).
I love it!
I do the aubergine slices in the oven ith a bit of olive oil before building the thing. much easier than frying i think :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have seen people mention that pre-cooked thin slices of butternut squash will do in lasagna. Not tried it myself though. :)

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
Thanks that a couple of things to try. I think I'm going to have to try them all. I've had cauliflower pizza where I cook the mash in the oven and turn it so that both sides have a bit of a crust before I build the pizza, that might work for lasagne.