Transforming a cauliflower to rice

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I saw your 'agree' rating, @Jaylee . Does that mean it's something agricultural or are you actually searching for the peskily elusive song?

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
And why not, experimenting is fun. I also make risotto with cauliflower rice, chopped bacon, mushrooms and leeks and loads of grated cheese. Really good for a quick lunch when I'm able. Also good with whatever is lurking in the refrigerator that needs to be used up. There's a recipe on diet doctor for cauliflower hash browns, not tried it but like the sound of it.

Reactions: Antje77

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I absolutely love cauliflower rice, a little bit of soy sauce or aminos on it and it reminds me of rice. And rice is something I have an issue with controlling my Bg’s with. But it’s great as just a bowl of for a snack, only 4 carbs for the whole bag. It’s also great as a side dish with veggies, sautéed with coconut cream, stir fried with mushrooms or veggies. One of my favorite foods!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think I have a plan, as I still want my cauliflower rice, especially after @Marie 2 's last remark :)
I'll use the hand grater on a big pizza plate to minimise loss. But the key part is I won't grate in the kitchen but in the chicken/rabbit pen, where every bit of flying cauliflower will be taken care of!

Will keep bg meter at hand in case of injury, as per @Rachox ' advice. I'm not vegetarian (although this particular meal will be) so no problem having a bit of finger in the mix.

Fingers crossed for dry weather :)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried (bought) cauliflower rice and didn't like it at all, and as I I'm happyto stir fry, etc, cauliflower florets I just eat mine that way.

Re hoppers:
Yep, I call it a hopper.
Worked in the secure document destruction industry.. We shredded paper & where it goes in, is a hopper.. Lol.

My definition of a hopper is a funnel, tube or chute of some sort that you shove or pour things down for them to end up safely and neatly in a container at the other end. Suits all shapes, sizes and types of stuff that goes down it.

But @Norfolkmell definitely not a froggy or bunny or even a kangaroo type hopper in sight! ;)

Robbity

Reactions: Jaylee

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's what I usually do, or cut in slices and roast in the oven. And don't forget the stem, that's the best tasting part of the cauliflower to me :) . But I want to make a relatively thin sauce and I'd like something rice like to mop it up. But mainly it's because it seems to be eaten by lots of people so there must be something to it and I wanted to try!

Antje - If you ever want to thicken a sauce, without adding flour or xanthan gum (or such like) micro-zap a few cauli florets, then add to the sauce, then deploy that bad boy stick blender. Just don't blend it too far, or it'll go runnier as it gets smoother.

(You can add raw florets too, if your sauce has a little longer to cook, it'll take up the flavour of your sauce more - then get to big boy out.)

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use this now which is fantastic, especially now the whole family are eating cauliflower rice.
IMG_4235.jpg

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
just for info:

upload_2019-9-4_10-37-22.jpeg

anything that works as a funnel or feeder = a hopper.
Can be used for lots of things, from sand (see pic), or grain, or animal feed, or as a hopper/chute for food processors.

@Antje77
do you have one of these mashers?
upload_2019-9-4_10-39-59.jpeg

If you do, just break the cauli into florets, cook as normal, then when soft, use the masher to break the lumps down smaller. You can stop whenever you have the texture you want, from big lumps, to small, to rice texture, to smooth mash. Just make sure the cauli isn't too wet when you use the masher, or it will be a sloppy porridge like slurry.

this is a pic of slurry which is another farming term ;)

upload_2019-9-4_10-45-28.jpeg

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
Antje - If you ever want to thicken a sauce, without adding flour or xanthan gum (or such like) micro-zap a few cauli florets, then add to the sauce, then deploy that bad boy stick blender. Just don't blend it too far, or it'll go runnier as it gets smoother.

(You can add raw florets too, if your sauce has a little longer to cook, it'll take up the flavour of your sauce more - then get to big boy out.)
I like that idea, thank you

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions

I some times use a small amount of arrowroot powder which does not add very much carbohydrate and is grain free and gluten free.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The grating went well and the chickens were very interested :)
Have not prepared my meal yet, so we'll find out if I like it later today.
70253372_10218430410505911_7658649806641823744_n.jpg

Reactions: jjraak

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I am not keen on the cheaper pre-riced cauliflower available locally, and prefer the taste of my own home made.
The gadget I use is otherwise sold as a Cleaner.
Seriously, my lovely cleaner grates my cauliflower for me, using a standard hand grater (the larger holes), then I add a little oil and cook on 170C for 14 mins.
Store in fridge, reheat in microwave or frying pan.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Homemade is better. I need to get some chickens to hoover up the mess. The dog will only clear up the cooked stuff.

Use plenty of favourite seasoning with the riced cauliflower, @Antje77 . I chop some onion and coriander into it and stir fry it.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Use plenty of favourite seasoning with the riced cauliflower, @Antje77 . I chop some onion and coriander into it and stir fry it.

A little turmeric turns it a nice yellowish colour and adds to the taste. I often add a pinch of nutmeg to my cauliflower rice or mash.

You can add just about any combination of spices you like.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I wanted the rice because I wanted a thin sauce with lots of veggies, cream and vegetarian shawarma and I neede something to mop the fluids up.
Have fried the cauliflower rice with curry powder, salt and some chilli powder and made a giant pan of sauce, so part of that will have to be frozen for later use.

Now I'm doubting the wisdom of already frying my cauliflower before dinner time. How does it hold when reheated? And how best to do it? Fry again? Does it turn to mash in the microwave?