Transforming a cauliflower to rice

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
After reading about cauliflower rice for over 2 years on this forum I decided to give it a try too. So what's the easiest way to do it? Below are the kitchen implements I have, which one shall I use? Or do I need something else?

upload_2019-9-3_18-13-39.jpeg
upload_2019-9-3_18-14-4.jpeg

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The one on the left will probably over-chop it, and the one on the right possibly will grate you in the process.

However, for choice, if you have the larger grater holes on the other side (for that cheese grater looks remarkably like mine and it will be prised out of my kitchen over my dead body as it's the best one I've ever had) I'd use that.

I'm more likely to use my food processor for cauliflower rice and it does a good job.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I take one of my larger knives and simply cut thin slices of cauliflower - slice it in half along the stalk so you can put it flat. I then use a small knife to separate the stalk and dice it - I can't help being frugal I was born within a gargoyle's spit of York Minster.

Reactions: Antje77

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The stick blender will mash it to a pulp, @Antje77 . The grater will do the job well enough , but you may be finding bits of cauliflower all over the place for ages after. Also need to watch your fingers.

I cheat, these days and buy small bags of ready grated styff from the frozen section of the supermarket. Would anything like that be available to you?

Reactions: lessci and Evie-D

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For me, a food processor but cheese grater is messy but it gets the job done. Cut up cauliflower into quarters and get grinding :)

Reactions: jjraak
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
After reading about cauliflower rice for over 2 years on this forum I decided to give it a try too. So what's the easiest way to do it? Below are the kitchen implements I have, which one shall I use? Or do I need something else?

View attachment 35449View attachment 35450

I have bought cauliflower rice and broccoli rice from Aldi's, I would imagine you could get something similar in a supermarket of your choice, but I have grated cauliflower florets, so if you do it this way, use quite a large bowl !

Reactions: jjraak and Antje77

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Antje77 ,

If you already have a processor?
You could try using a rotary grater attachment on a slower speed..
Just drop your fresh cuts in the hopper & contain the mess.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I usually use a cheese grater, my food processor is a pain to clean. If you grate a finger, get your meter out quick it’ll save a finger prick later :joyful::hilarious:
I always stir fry the ‘rice’, I find it goes too soggy microwaving it.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Like the others I have a processor. Tried it on a grater whilst on holiday ☹️ cauliflower everywhere! Just had some tonight with a curry. Resisted for 2 years, but tried it and loved it. Wouldn’t go back to rice now, and also use it instead of mash if don’t have celeriac. Mashed celeriac sausage and gravy mmm yum!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Antje77 ,

If you already have a processor?
You could try using a rotary grater attachment on a slower speed..
Just drop your fresh cuts in the hopper & contain the mess.
Wow, this posts is a real challenge for my language skills. In English I seem to speak close to fluent Diabetic. Kitchen Utensilian definitely not so much :p

I have a processor in my computer but I doubt it is compatible with the rotary grater app. I know about grass hoppers but I'd feel sorry for the guinea pigs if I fed the cuts to the hoppers instead of the guinea pigs.

I definitely need a whole new vocabulary for this cooking business (which is why I posted pictures of the utensils I have instead of trying to name them correctly), but with a bit of thinking I managed to make some sense of your post except for the hopper part. Which doesn't matter as I don't have any attachments anyway.
(Don't you love the Google:
Hopper | Definition of Hopper by Merriam-Webster
https://www.merriam-webster.com › dictionary › hopper
Hopper definition is - one that hops
)

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So all in all from your kind reactions it will be a mess if I try this without a proper machine, and I'll probably bleed on my food as well.
I'll have another think about cauliflower rice. I only wanted to make it the day after tomorrow so there is still thinking time :)

Thanks for your information everyone, it's much appreciated!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think @Jaylee is meaning this bit of a food processor is a hopper, I haven’t heard it referred to as a hopper but it makes sense! As in a funnel like thingy, as no. 5 here:
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/hopper?s=t

306B8914-1364-4853-8639-8A0712A5E258.jpeg
Wow, this posts is a real challenge for my language skills. In English I seem to speak close to fluent Diabetic. Kitchen Utensilian definitely not so much :p

I have a processor in my computer but I doubt it is compatible with the rotary grater app. I know about grass hoppers but I'd feel sorry for the guinea pigs if I fed the cuts to the hoppers instead of the guinea pigs.

I definitely need a whole new vocabulary for this cooking business (which is why I posted pictures of the utensils I have instead of naming them), but with some thinking I managed to make some sense of your post except for the hopper part. Which doesn't matter as I don't have any attachments anyway.
(Don't you love the Google:
Hopper | Definition of Hopper by Merriam-Webster
https://www.merriam-webster.com › dictionary › hopper
Hopper definition is - one that hops
)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Antje77 - I see Rachox has posted a pic of a food processor.

Over here, as weel as the usual Amazon offers, Lidl and Aldi have them frrom time to time. We have quite a heavy weight food processor, but cauli rice doesn't take too much effort out of the motors, so there's no need to spend mega bucks.

Since buying a decent stick blender our larger processor comes out far less frequently, but I agree with the others this job isn't for the stick.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep, I call it a hopper.
Worked in the secure document destruction industry.. We shredded paper & where it goes in, is a hopper.. Lol.
I think it's something agricultural as well. I seem to remember a hopper being mentioned in a song on one of Johnny Cash' last albums but annoyingly can't remember enough of the song to succesfully find it through google and I don't have the album. So I'm afraid I'm stuck with half a song in my head for the rest of the night.

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
Food processor wins over a grater for me, but if you want cauliflower mash, microwave the florets until soft and zap it with the stick and cream and butter, gosh making myself hungry as I'm thinking of it! Also agree stir fry the rice in some butter, now thinking that I need to change plans for dinner tomorrow night, I need cauli mash.

Reactions: Energize

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
Frogs are hoppers, bunnies too.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why bother, break the cauliflower into florets and cook it, looks different to rice but why does that matter?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Why bother, break the cauliflower into florets and cook it, looks different to rice but why does that matter?
That's what I usually do, or cut in slices and roast in the oven. And don't forget the stem, that's the best tasting part of the cauliflower to me :) . But I want to make a relatively thin sauce and I'd like something rice like to mop it up. But mainly it's because it seems to be eaten by lots of people so there must be something to it and I wanted to try!