Travel insurance

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, can anyone who has recently bought travel insurance tell me who they used please? I have quite a few underlying things, I seem to tick yes to everything they ask, I tried AA because I saw a link on my ap, they refused me, not sure if it’s like a credit check and marks me down if I get refused lol so now I’m looking for a company more likely to accept me. Thanks

• Informative
Reactions: jjraak

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Marks and Spencer have covered me for 5 underlying conditions in the past. We still use them.
If it's a new medical condition that hasn't yet been stabilised by medcation/treatment that's sometimes more of a problem. Back in 2009 I couldn't get anyone to insure me for a holiday to USA as I had a new diagnosis in the previous 6 months.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Thankyou, nothing new (touch wood) I will give them a try :)

Reactions: jjraak

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My OH has various health issues and we use either Staysure, Insureandgo or AllClear depending on what we need it for. It does pay to look around and if you need cover for 2 or more trips you may be better off getting an annual one however when we went to Jersey and on a cruise in 2019 it worked out cheaper to have 2 individual policies so we used Insureandgo for Jersey and Staysure for the cruise. We’re off on a 2 week cruise next Sunday and also had a holiday in the Lake District in June so paid £480.00 for an annual policy with Staysure.

Reactions: jjraak and Fenn

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, can anyone who has recently bought travel insurance tell me who they used please? I have quite a few underlying things, I seem to tick yes to everything they ask, I tried AA because I saw a link on my ap, they refused me, not sure if it’s like a credit check and marks me down if I get refused lol so now I’m looking for a company more likely to accept me. Thanks

Fenn, I'm usually not a fan of packaged products, but sometimes something like a "Gold" or "Premier" bank account will include worldwide travel insurance. Often on those the underwriting criteria will differ, because they can underwrite on a population (or account holders) basis, taking into account the population's age, rather than individual - a bit like corporate medical insurance.

Often they will disregards x, y or z, just because their population means that it is unlikely to occur.

Worth investigating. Just a thought.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve used Stay sure, they accept people with pre-existing medical conditions price was reasonable, luckily I didn’t have to claim so can’t tell you how well they deal with them.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Fenn, I'm usually not a fan of packaged products, but sometimes something like a "Gold" or "Premier" bank account will include worldwide travel insurance. Often on those the underwriting criteria will differ, because they can underwrite on a population (or account holders) basis, taking into account the population's age, rather than individual - a bit like corporate medical insurance.

Often they will disregards x, y or z, just because their population means that it is unlikely to occur.

Worth investigating. Just a thought.
Sadly although these packaged accounts were good for us they no longer are. My wife and I have different accounts with well-known banks with packaged insurance. Over the last year both have changed underwriters and they are impossible now to deal with and very strict with what medical conditions they will cover. This week we have bought insurance with AllClear which is not the cheapest but the cover is quite good. Don't forget if going on a cruise it's essential to include that AND make sure the cover includes repatriation off the ship.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sadly although these packaged accounts were good for us they no longer are. My wife and I have different accounts with well-known banks with packaged insurance. Over the last year both have changed underwriters and they are impossible now to deal with and very strict with what medical conditions they will cover. This week we have bought insurance with AllClear which is not the cheapest but the cover is quite good. Don't forget if going on a cruise it's essential to include that AND make sure the cover includes repatriation off the ship.
Agreed.

Had similar with nationwide.
Covered me with 2 conditions (T2D was one)

@Fenn

Now they have emailed to say no longer providing .

Was much cheaper then others, so worth looking around for if possible.

Lots of banks offering switch bonuses at moment , so worth considering other banks outside of yours .

Hope you find something acceptable soon.

Reactions: Fenn

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, in conclusion...

I tried all of the above, All Clear was my choice, I chose annual policy because I am going to the US twice next year so works out nice, my premium was a smidge over £500, this was for "All Clear Gold Plus", this had all the good sounding stuff but they all did to be honest, I literally declared everything, DB, Bypass, TIA, DVT, PE, High BP, High Chol. I sounded like I was on deaths door but im fine honest lol, I Liked the person on the phone which is probly what swayed me but they were all within £100 of eachother. I feel pretty happy although I would like to have spent less, I am always tempted to not declare stuff that I know wont be a problem but I wont be worried about that as I told he truth lol

Many thanks to you all for advice :)

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have never had to call upon them but I too am with AllClear on an annual US included policy and have been for a few years.
They frequently offer discounts when you renew (but it doesn't stop me shopping).

Reactions: OrsonKartt and Fenn

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, in conclusion...

I tried all of the above, All Clear was my choice, I chose annual policy because I am going to the US twice next year so works out nice, my premium was a smidge over £500, this was for "All Clear Gold Plus", this had all the good sounding stuff but they all did to be honest, I literally declared everything, DB, Bypass, TIA, DVT, PE, High BP, High Chol. I sounded like I was on deaths door but im fine honest lol, I Liked the person on the phone which is probly what swayed me but they were all within £100 of eachother. I feel pretty happy although I would like to have spent less, I am always tempted to not declare stuff that I know wont be a problem but I wont be worried about that as I told he truth lol

Many thanks to you all for advice :)
That’s a good price for the US - my OH has various heart issues inc Pacemaker, Aortic aneurysm, replacemt heart valve and A.Fib plus Parkinson’s and Asthma and we paid £480.00 for Europe inc Cruise cover. When we looked into going to Canada and Alaska for 2020 we were quoted £800.00!!

Reactions: Fenn