Type 1 Tresiba

Debbie73

Hi I'm new to this forum and I'm struggling with night time high blood sugars since changing from lantus to tresiba, as advised by my diabetes nurse. On lantus I used to eat a bedtime "snack" to avoid hypos during the night. As if I didn't eat a snack the lantus would cause my sugar levels to drop during the night. However since on tresiba (for 10 days now) my sugar levels increase during the night to 12 in the morning when I wake up. I've tried increasing the tresiba (started on 7units and now on 9units) but still blood levels are rising during the night. I'm finding I'm going hypo more often in the day now so didn't want to increase the tresiba again, in case I get more hypos during the day... can anyone help? I wasn't sure best thing to do but I'm tempted to go back on lantus! Thanks

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't answer your question but would say that when I did the same change I had the same problem, I tried moving the injection from before bed to the morning but the spike stayed, moved it to lunchtime, same result and over 8 months ended back injecting at bed time but using some Humalog at suppertime for my 26g snack.

With Tresiba 'they' say it takes a few days to settle, I'd say it's 3 or 4 weeks before I could see consistency from it and when you do get it to work is a much better and stable insulin to Lantus.

Maybe try ringing your DSN for advice but good luck with it.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Debbie73

I also echo Kevs advice about switching, I used to take Tresiba before pumping and was incredibly frustrated with it for the first few weeks to the point of wanting to go back to lantus, but I waited it out for 3-4 weeks, making minor adjustments every 4-5 days until it settled down and then found it to to be brilliant. It's a 36 hour approx, stable flat profile, doesn't matter if you miss a dose and then take it 8-12 hours later it's just something you need to be patient with, but it was the best background insulin I used.

With rising levels can you track with a flash meter like libre to see when the rise starts ? Daytime hypos, are you having a consistent pattern to this each day ? May not be related to Tresiba but as the temperature has been rising I am getting more daytime hypos, it's easy to connect dots and think it's all related to Tresiba but without consistent patterns and basal testing it might not be related at all.

Before ruling out Tresiba I would do some basal fasting tests first.

Reactions: kev-w

Debbie73

Hi both
Thanks for your comments:)
It is a gradual rise during the nights, starting from as low as 3 at midnight but then rising gradually and 12 at 6am. I have a sensor so can see the rise during the night time.
The daytime hypos tend to be anytime around 4pm til 10pm and even without no short acting insulin before dinner after a little leak my sugar levels drop before bedtime. Although this morning I've just increased tresiba by 1unit to 10units now to see if this helps during the night, but already I'm dropping and 4.4 before lunch which never usually happens.
I guess I need to be patient and give it 3 to 4 weeks then? I was tempted to switch it to an evening time but wasn't sure of best time to inject tresiba.
Thanks

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This is what I posted in reply to the same question you posted in another thread a couple of hours ago (if you post in multiple threads you will get responses scattered about)
Tresiba may just not fit how your sugars go up and down on their own - you may need a shorter lasting one than Tresiba, obviously there's the Lantus but if it causes hypos overnight (it did for me too) that's not a good choice, but there are others, Levemir lasts less time so that something to consider, cos then you can definitely have differing amounts overnight compared to during the day, I'm sure there are other choices as well

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess I need to be patient and give it 3 to 4 weeks then? I was tempted to switch it to an evening time but wasn't sure of best time to inject tresiba.
Thanks

I only inject around 10pm - 11pm as I've 'always' taken basal on a night, I did read (or think I read) that Tresiba was recommended to be taken at 10am, but can't find where I read it but found when I moved to then I felt I struggled a little so probably didn't try for long enough and it certainly didn't feel 'right' taking on a morning, I put a big skull picture on the fridge with the new time on to stop the force of habit having me take it twice.

Another thing :) I took between 22 and 24u of Lantus but only take 14-15u Tresiba.

Debbie73

Thanks. I've always injected my basal insulin in morning so never even thought of trying evening. I have emailed my diabetes nurse but she just isn't interested. Says to give it 3 or 4 days before changing dose again. She says not to go back to lantus as hypo during night shouldn't happen. So I'm stuck trying to understand tresiba and how it works for me. So guess I'll wait 3 days to see but if still high during night then switch to injecting at 10pm ? Thanks for your help:)