Troubles with LCHF

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There are only 1280g of veg there though for £2.34 a kilo. One veg/fruit portion size is normally said to be 80g (and the normal recommendation is 5 per day) Veggies are filling and I know most of the low carbers on here say that they eat lots.
Why not have a look at the 1kg bags of frozen veg which work out at 99p a kilo for cauliflower, broccoli, spinach and sprouts.
i had a look at the fresh veg also and I thought it seemed expensive: probably because it all appears pre packed . A cabbage though is only 58p for a white one and 68p for a green one. They last well and can be shredded for stirfries. I would though have thought that it was worth looking at large cabbages and sprouts , courgettes, swedes etc in your local market There are apparently 3 of them in Derby. The town where my father lives has a University and quite a large population of young and elderly individuals on low incomes. Several of the stalls sell mixed bowls of seasonal veg very cheaply and they often sell them off for half price at the end of the day.

Reactions: 9 people

alliebee

There are only 1280g of veg there though for £2.34 a kilo. One veg/fruit portion size is normally said to be 80g (and the normal recommendation is 5 per day) Veggies are filling and I know most of the low carbers on here say that they eat lots.
Why not have a look at the 1kg bags of frozen veg which work out at 99p a kilo for cauliflower, broccoli, spinach and sprouts.
i had a look at the fresh veg also and I thought it seemed expensive: probably because it all appears pre packed . A cabbage though is only 58p for a white one and 68p for a green one. They last well and can be shredded for stirfries. I would though have thought that it was worth looking at large cabbages and sprouts , courgettes, swedes etc in your local market There are apparently 3 of them in Derby. The town where my father lives has a University and quite a large population of young and elderly individuals on low incomes. Several of the stalls sell mixed bowls of seasonal veg very cheaply and they often sell them off for half price at the end of the day.
Absolutely great advice phoenix :). Great post

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I often only eat fruit/veg once a day, but @phoenix is right - mine are huge quantities.

On a typical evening meal my plate contains a protein source, then 200+g of sugarsnaps and a good sized head of broccoli. Then I follow that with 80g odd strawberries, and maybe 50g blueberries.

I would eat half a head of a sweet pointy cabbage, or a third of a red cabbage as a single portion, but would never serve just one veg, in just one colour. Rainbow eating, anyone?

Onion, peppers and twiddly veg needed for the recipe would be on top of that.

My goal is to feel full, and fully satisfied after a meal. If I need to add fat (cream, oils and cheese) to that for complete satisfaction, then I do.

Reactions: 9 people

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I often only eat fruit/veg once a day, but @phoenix is right - mine are huge quantities.

On a typical evening meal my plate contains a protein source, then 200+g of sugarsnaps and a good sized head of broccoli. Then I follow that with 80g odd strawberries, and maybe 50g blueberries.

I would eat half a head of a sweet pointy cabbage, or a third of a red cabbage as a single portion, but would never serve just one veg, in just one colour. Rainbow eating, anyone?

Onion, peppers and twiddly veg needed for the recipe would be on top of that.

My goal is to feel full, and fully satisfied after a meal. If I need to add fat (cream, oils and cheese) to that for complete satisfaction, then I do.
I was waiting all these weeks to be nit picky and have a negative pop.
At last when I saw "sugarsnaps" is @Brunneria high on sugar
(I thought they wear some kind of "brandy snap candy things")
Just saying "Sugar Snaps" is a odd name for a vegetable, or is it a fruit.
Before you know it, you will be having "sugar daddy's"Organic Non-GMO Seeds - Sugar Daddy Snap Pea
Have a great day and keep up with your good help and advice.:)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Then I follow that with 80g odd strawberries, and maybe 50g blueberries.

Wow! You are lucky. I have strawberries or raspberries or blueberries for breakfast with 100g of Greek yogurt and flaxseed. I can only manage up to 50g of berries in total or I spike. :inpain:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow! You are lucky. I have strawberries or raspberries or blueberries for breakfast with 100g of Greek yogurt and flaxseed. I can only manage up to 50g of berries in total or I spike. :inpain:

Well... I kind of slip them in under the protein, masses of veg fibre, and (last but not least) a thick layer of double cream ;).

I also find my carb tolerance is much lower in the mornings, than later in the day (going by my meter readings)

Reactions: 6 people

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Well today, I've got my lixisenatide prescription and 300 test strips after the pharmacist told me that the delivery was late yesterday. I've had a low carb full english that included; 2 fried eggs in olive oil, 3 rashers of bacon (pan fried) and a a gammon steak (grilled) with some sliced onions and mushrooms fried in olive oil butter. The only thing that would have it made it better is tomato sauce, but instead I decided to chuck it away and then did myself coffee with cream to wash down the breakfast. It felt like I had just eaten the best breakfast ever and i haven't felt hungry since i had it at 10am.

Reactions: 13 people

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
VinnyJames, I'm not that much of a wine drinker. I've tried white, red and rose wine, but I only like red wine when it is cooked in a bolognese. I've been trying to swap the beer for spirits, but i've only managed to have a drink that has a shot of whisky dropped into a pint of Coors Light beer.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
or simply drinking less beer ...... or water? Which is more important to you ..... beer or your health?

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
or simply drinking less beer ...... or water? Which is more important to you ..... beer or your health?

I get where you are coming from bluetit, but all that I ever drink now is water as I've stopped drinking cordial, squash, juice, smoothies, energy drinks, milk and diet sodas. It seems to me that the only drinks I can have is just water, tea or coffee. I have a dash of regular cola at my uni's bar, but that is only once or twice a week.

I am sick and tired of just having water! I only drink beer on occasions and at the most I drink on a night out is 3 to 4 pints of beer.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Well done on results.. Much improved.

Just try to have veg at some point everyday.

You do adapt to the taste of red wine.. At least my hubby did.. And me really. Hubby was guiness and I was drambuie. Now red wine except xmas and birthday... Honest, I see my bloods and hubby sees weight loss so that out does the previous drinks.

Well done... Much improved results and really happy for you..

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I get where you are coming from bluetit, but all that I ever drink now is water as I've stopped drinking cordial, squash, juice, smoothies, energy drinks, milk and diet sodas. It seems to me that the only drinks I can have is just water, tea or coffee. I have a dash of regular cola at my uni's bar, but that is only once or twice a week.

I am sick and tired of just having water! I only drink beer on occasions and at the most I drink on a night out is 3 to 4 pints of beer.
Your right @akindrat18, there must be some give in control. It would be interesting to know what type of beer is best for diabetics these days.
I would prefer 1 pint of strong beer rather than 2 pints of low c beer. ( in my day beer was real, so be careful of the modern ingredients )
I am not to sure what the drinking policies are these days regarding Universities etc; I am sure you are sensible enough to drink wisely.
Best of luck.:)

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on results.. Much improved.

Just try to have veg at some point everyday.

You do adapt to the taste of red wine.. At least my hubby did.. And me really. Hubby was guiness and I was drambuie. Now red wine except xmas and birthday... Honest, I see my bloods and hubby sees weight loss so that out does the previous drinks.

Well done... Much improved results and really happy for you..
Drambuie & Guinness, "depth charge," that brings back great memories. Now I just have the odd crabbies ginger beer about twice a year.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Drambuie & Guinness, "depth charge," that brings back great memories. Now I just have the odd crabbies ginger beer about twice a year.

OMG!!! Crabbies. I love too, not had for ages. Waitrose got diet ginger beer on offer so thats my 'tipple' at moment...hate thought of sweetener, but don't like any other non alcholic cold drink. Crabbies now added to my xmas wish list!!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you want hot drinks, try bovril, stock cubes dissolved in hot water, and maybe, somewhere, there is a herb tea out there which you like...? ;)

As for what to drink down the bar. Yes. It's a difficult one. I never liked beer, but I love cider. :(