Troubles with LCHF

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Good for appt. let us know how you get on.

Levels are too high, well done though on doing a 3am test.

Your stomach needs regular small amounts of food to keep healthy. Stomachs can get incredibly painful if they are not given proper sustenance. I hope that this is the cause and nothing else, but hopefully your go will have listened to you today...and examined you in detail. So hopefully GP has given you advice

Well my appointment was AWFUL! I didn't get to see my doctor, instead I was greeted by a nurse who told me that my doctor was unavailable. I told her about my gut and she examined me, then told me that I needed more fibre in my diet and recommended to me that I should have a bowl of Fruit & Fibre Cereal. I was like 'I am following a LCHF diet' and she just went into a right state telling me that carbs are needed to regulate BS levels, I then showed her my BG levels and dismissed them straight away and told me 'they aren't that bad, all you need to do is eat healthier carbs like whole wheat bread, rice, pasta and to swap potatoes for sweet potatoes. I was really fuming and then she told me that I looked stressed and that stress is the most plausible explanation for why my BG levels are high.

But the good news is that my BG levels decreased from 15.4 to 13.6 2 hours laters after having 2 rounds of toast (white bread) with butter and jam. I know that I shouldn't have had it, but it was the only thing I had in for breakfast that was quick and ate it on my way to uni. They are now 9.4 after having a chicken salad.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What I can't work out is why you had it in at all, as you've been trying to low carb, you don't flat share with anyone else who would be eating it, and, as money is tight, you could have spent your money on something lower carb. Even buttered toast would be better than adding the jam.

In that, I'm thinking about little pots of potted meats or spreads, or tins of pilchards etc. my early days lunch always included tinned fish - as much because it is simple and nutritious as anything else.

I appreciate you're struggling, but you really do need to think about your shopping.

Sorry if I'm horribly grumpy. I've been out and got very cold. I don't like cold. :(

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
What I can't work out is why you had it in at all, as you've been trying to low carb, you don't flat share with anyone else who would be eating it, and, as money is tight, you could have spent your money on something lower carb. Even buttered toast would be better than adding the jam.

In that, I'm thinking about little pots of potted meats or spreads, or tins of pilchards etc. my early days lunch always included tinned fish - as much because it is simple and nutritious as anything else.

I appreciate you're struggling, but you really do need to think about your shopping.

Sorry if I'm horribly grumpy. I've been out and got very cold. I don't like cold. :(

I am using up what carbs I have in first for my breakfast. I do have tinned mackerel in sweet chilli sauce, beef and chorizo burgers, cheese, salsa, Turkey steaks, eggs, tuna, frozen cauli and broccoli, hash browns, bacon, cream, pancakes, crumpets, pasta n sauce, mixed seeds, bran flakes, tomato sauce, Mayo, olives, pickles and frozen fruit salad

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There's some great things on that list, but also some which I can't tolerate.....pancakes, crumpets, pasta n sauce, bran flakes, tomato sauce, sweet chilli sauce (6.5 g per tablespoon perhaps) hash browns. I know others will come along and say 'test,test, test', but you know this already.

I think you need to decide whether you are going to go with the NHs route or with LCHF and stick to whichever choice you make. I think you are falling between the two different approaches and then you label yourself as a failure. If you are doing LCHF commit to it, knowing your HCP's probably won't approve. If you can't do this, then you need to do as Phoenix suggested and get face to face help. Whatever you decide, the clock is ticking, you can't afford to make many more excuses to yourself (what you say to us really doesn't matter, it's what you tell yourself that will mean the difference between success and failure).

Like I've said before, good luck.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
There's some great things on that list, but also some which I can't tolerate.....pancakes, crumpets, pasta n sauce, bran flakes, tomato sauce, sweet chilli sauce (6.5 g per tablespoon perhaps) hash browns. I know others will come along and say 'test,test, test', but you know this already.

I think you need to decide whether you are going to go with the NHs route or with LCHF and stick to whichever choice you make. I think you are falling between the two different approaches and then you label yourself as a failure. If you are doing LCHF commit to it, knowing your HCP's probably won't approve. If you can't do this, then you need to do as Phoenix suggested and get face to face help. Whatever you decide, the clock is ticking, you can't afford to make many more excuses to yourself (what you say to us really doesn't matter, it's what you tell yourself that will mean the difference between success and failure).

Like I've said before, good luck.

I'm committed to go the LCHF way as I want to lose 50kg before my graduation in January 2016 and to impress my parents. I know I make up excuses, I do this all the time. Its like I've got a gym membership for a year and haven't been their in over a month as I had mole surgery. It has healed up pretty well and need to start the gym again, also I'm going to try and involve my parents if they are willing to try LCHF over xmas. I can't stick to very low carb, but I think I can manage with 100 grams of carbs a day for now.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I know how easy it is to make excuses. I've made them all. At my heaviest I had between 8 - 10 stones to lose. ( though 10 is probably too many at my age) and I've not managed to lose as much as 3 stones yet, it's very hard work and very slow going. I think 100g carbs a day would be great, as long as you are consistent with it. I still feel there is something psychological holding you back though. I can see that you want this badly, but you don't seem to be able to reach out and grasp it, there must be a reason you can't do so.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
have you looked at the newcastle..?
Newcastle diet aims in 8+ weeks to mimic the rate of ~70% remission, for surgery T2
“It is now clear that Type 2 diabetes is caused by abnormal fat storage. Research on how this may be reversed is available. “
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/

Newcastle diet Lectures
http://www.fend-lectures.org/index.php?menu=view&id=94
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/events/public-lectures/item.php?roy-taylor-diabetes

shows BG lowering to normal range
View attachment 8599

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've read about the Newcastle Diet, but have not attempted it. Would the meal replacements have to be Optifast shakes or can it be something else like Tesco's Ultra Slim shakes.

Also my BG levels are slowly returning normal as 2 hours ago they were 13.1 and i've just tested now and they are at 8.1

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've read about the Newcastle Diet, but have not attempted it. Would the meal replacements have to be Optifast shakes or can it be something else like Tesco's Ultra Slim shakes.

Also my BG levels are slowly returning normal as 2 hours ago they were 13.1 and i've just tested now and they are at 8.1
I'm glad your numbers are settling, I'm sorry the nurse was useless and no help...you may need another Dr to support you with this and this letter for him ..or get a referral to a hospital ED clinic may even be better.
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/documents/Informationfordoctors_revised_April14.pdf

tesco's should be ok...it's 3 drinks a day and a plate of salad and a spoon of oil and a multi vitamin to be sure.
the reason it works is that you don't have to think about ..what to eat..
you still have the tough first 2-3 days as you would with LCHF
even if you went for a stomach op..this is similar to what you have to eat for the week before and the recovery afterwards

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
OIl had 120 calories per tablespoon, so bear that in mind.

Unlike Jack, I have actually done the diet, and I can assure you I did the Newcastle diet, and didn't feel the need to add fat to it.
If you read the links, it is very specifically a low fat diet.
If you choose replace a meal with a spoonful of oil you'll balance the diet again, but it wouldn't have been my choice!

Neither did I add multi vitamins. The point of the shakes are they have the required amount already in them, altering that, or increasing beyond the rda isn't required.

It's really a question of personal choice though. The Newcastle diet is well documented, it's a specific diet, with results published from following that specific diet. If you want to chop and change it, fair enough, but bear in mind it'll be a variant of the diet afterwards.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My experience when having the Slimfast shakes was that it was better simply having the liquids....the shakes and the soup and not the snack bars. A small salad was OK, but any other solids and I would have eaten everything in the house! Perhaps that's just me though :)

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I must admit, I had the tesco shake for breakfast, one for lunch, then over a few weeks simply had a bowl of soup for dinner. I sort of lost the need for solid food, but mostly all the veg I ate became a soup eventually!
The other thing is it has retrained my stomach, I think I eat a lot less now I'm off the diet.

The bad thing is also that statement as well though, as I originally used to not eat all day, them gorge in the evenings, mainly due to work patterns.
I made a real effort to eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner, small portions, and maybe a controlled snack in between.
After the Newcastle diet, I've noticed I don't really feel hungry in the day, and if I'm not careful, could slip back into eating just at night.
So it's a push for me to get back into breakfast at least, and spread the calories through the day.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
unlike doug..I have read about the diet.. the dieter is advised to add oil to prevent gallstones on the optifast site

Last edited by a moderator:

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
unlike doug..I have read about the diet.. the dieter is advised to add oil to prevent gallstones on the optifast site

So, you've read about it on the internet?
But no experience apart from that?

Fair enough.
I assume you have also informed Prof Taylor of your expertise, and he should follow your google links, and update his diet advice accordingly?
Well for the fat at least, I assume you can't find anything on google for your multi vitamin advice?
Can he just take your word on it?

But, to be fair to you, @jack412 as you seem to have all the links, and research on the Newcastle diet, what is the recommended grams of fat, daily, to prevent gallstones?

Last edited by a moderator:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Have you started any increase in meds? I know you mentioned nurse going bonkers at low carbs.. But did she suggest anything with your meds?

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you started any increase in meds? I know you mentioned nurse going bonkers at low carbs.. But did she suggest anything with your meds?

Nope. She suggested nothing about an increase in medication, but she did say that I should be less stressed and try relaxation techniques.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
This is my LCHF Asda shopping list. I am looking to spend around £30 a week for when I start back uni in January. Most of the items have under 5 grams of carbs per serving, except for the Frikadellen which has 7.2 grams per serving. Feel free to comment on my shopping list and I am open to suggestions and new ideas for my shopping list if you want to add something to it.

Your trolley

Items

Price

Quantity

Cheese & Cooked Meats

ASDASnack British Cheese Selection Pack200g

Add to shopping list

Vegetarian

Now

£2.68(£6.70/kg)

+2

in your trolley

Deli CuisineGerman Frikadellen500g

Add to shopping list

Now

£1.89(37.8p/100g)

+1

in your trolley

Meat

ASDA SmartPrice2 Smoked Gammon Rounds250g

Add to shopping list

OK to freeze

Now

£3.30(£4.40/kg)

+3

in your trolley

Butcher's Selection4 Peppercorn Beef Medallions350g2 FOR £7

Add to shopping list

OK to freeze

Now

£4.00(£11.43/kg)

+1

in your trolley

Butcher's SelectionChicken Breast Steaks410g2 FOR £7

Add to shopping list

OK to freeze

Now

£4.00(£9.76/kg)

+1

in your trolley

Milk, Butter, Eggs & Juice

AnchorAerosol Real Dairy Cream Extra Thick250g

Add to shopping list

Vegetarian

Now

£1.80(72.0p/100g)

+1

in your trolley

ASDA SmartpriceEggs15pk

Add to shopping list

Now

£2.50(8.3p/each)

+2

in your trolley

Tins & Cans

ASDAPitted Green Olives310g

Add to shopping list

Vegetarian

Now

£1.38(41.8p/100g)

+2

in your trolley

Asda Chosen By YouScottish Mackerel Fillets in Tomato125g

Add to shopping list

Now

£3.50(56.0p/100g)

+5

in your trolley

Vegetables, Rice & Sides

ASDA Chosen by YouQuick & Easy Steam Bags Carr...640g

Add to shopping list

Frozen

Now

£3.00(£2.34/kg)

+2

in your trolley

Multibuy savings total:-£1.00

Shopping total *:£27.05

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Any veg or salad?

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah there are some easy steam bags of cauliflower, broccoli and carrots. As for salad items I will be buying them from my local co-op as i always get salad items from deliveries where their use by date is for either the next day or 2 days after.