Turkey bag stolen no infusion kit help needed!

Leanne85!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi can anyone help? I'm currently abroad in marmaris in turkey and my insulin pump bag has been taken and I don't have any spare as they were all in the bag. I have been to the hospital and pharmacy who don't understand me and just shake their head as I can't speak the language I've rang animas who are closed today to get anything sent over would take 5days does anyone live in turkey who could help???
Or does anyone know how I can control my diabetes while I'm here??

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi can anyone help? I'm currently abroad in marmaris in turkey and my insulin pump bag has been taken and I don't have any spare as they were all in the bag. I have been to the hospital and pharmacy who don't understand me and just shake their head as I can't speak the language I've rang animas who are closed today to get anything sent over would take 5days does anyone live in turkey who could help???

Hi Leanne, can you get your self on Facebook there is a help we forgot t1 kit club ?

Post on the site and someone maybe able to connect you ?

Reactions: Frank6242

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
have you got pen back up with you ( bolus and long acting pens ) ??

here is a statement in Turkish that might help

lütfen yardım et. İnsülin sarf malzemelerimi kaybettim. lütfen bana yardım edebilir misin

( please help. I have lost my insulin supplies .can you please help me )

xx

Reactions: Welshie56

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@himtoo 's advice is sound.

You may have to fall back on MDI...

Is there anyone there like a tour guide, holiday rep "ex pat." who can help translate for you?

Reactions: himtoo

Leanne85!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been given some syringes from the hospital but have never been in this situation before I only have the insulin that goes in my pump which is just fast acting not got long acting
have you got pen back up with you ( bolus and long acting pens ) ??

here is a statement in Turkish that might help

lütfen yardım et. İnsülin sarf malzemelerimi kaybettim. lütfen bana yardım edebilir misin

( please help. I have lost my insulin supplies .can you please help me )

xx
have b

Leanne85!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@himtoo 's advice is sound.

You may have to fall back on MDI...

Is there anyone there like a tour guide, holiday rep "ex pat." who can help translate for you?
I've tried to ask for help but they don't understand me and shake their head when I show them my pump I got some syringes from the hospital but haven't done needles for over 7years I can't even remember what you do I just have fast acting insulin with me

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ok lovely -- thanks for replying --- for the short term ( until tomorrow )
you will need to test pretty often and take small doses of fast acting to try and keep your bloods in control

( hard I know with the heat and the stress )

Reactions: tircoed

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've tried to ask for help but they don't understand me and shake their head when I show them my pump I got some syringes from the hospital but haven't done needles for over 7years I can't even remember what you do I just have fast acting insulin with me

OK? You have siringes & needles.. That's good news.
You just need to find a basal insulin? What basal were you on prior to the pump?

Don't worry about the short term (basal)drawing up from a vial with the syringe. I have memories of doing that.. & others can help with that too!
The syringes? Are they in U100 units? & what insulin do you have in your spare vials?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Do you have travel insurance which includes medical cover, Leanne?

If you do, it could be worthwhile contacting them. They often have interpreters who are used to dealing with foreign systems and hospitals, as well as foreign Docs. At least you can talk to them in English.

Of course, you don't have a medical issue at the moment (I hope), but any extended period without insulin and you might do!

If you are on a package holiday, it could be worthwhile talking to your holiday rep, who may be able to direct you to an English speaking Doc, or pharmacy. Even if they don't understand diabetes and diabetics, they will understand clients who need medical assistance during your holiday. If you aren't on a package deal, the travel operators information boards could be helpful, and I would still consider approaching a rep, even if you're not one of their customers.

Good luck with it. It must be scaring you witless.

Reactions: Gaz-M

Leanne85!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
ok lovely -- thanks for replying --- for the short term ( until tomorrow )
you will need to test pretty often and take small doses of fast acting to try and keep your bloods in control

( hard I know with the heat and the stress )
I have enough insulin in my pump to last me another day it's just for when that runs out, I'm trying to think ahead

Leanne85!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
OK? You have siringes & needles.. That's good news.
You just need to find a basal insulin? What basal were you on prior to the pump?

Don't worry about the short term (basal)drawing up from a vial with the syringe. I have memories of doing that.. & others can help with that too!
The syringes? Are they in U100 units? & what insulin do you have in your spare vials?
I have my insulin with me that's in the fridge I have orange syringes yes they are U 100 my insulin is humalog

Reactions: Jaylee

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I have enough insulin in my pump to last me another day it's just for when that runs out, I'm trying to think ahead
ok !! thanks for replying -- you have me and a few other late night UK peeps a fair bit worried here.

can you ask for help from your holiday rep ??
can you go back to the pharmacy and ask ( using google translate on your phone ) for some long acting insulin and more syringes ?

I will admit I am worried about you Leanne
do stay connected with us here

you may need to take small doses of fast acting at regular intervals to try and control bloods
( it will likely disrupt normal eating ) but at least you will be looking after yourself best you can
think like taking 1/2 your hourly rate every 2 hours if that makes sense

hugs [[[hugs]]] xx

Reactions: Gaz-M and NigelM

Leanne85!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Do you have travel insurance which includes medical cover, Leanne?

If you do, it could be worthwhile contacting them. They often have interpreters who are used to dealing with foreign systems and hospitals, as well as foreign Docs. At least you can talk to them in English.

Of course, you don't have a medical issue at the moment (I hope), but any extended period without insulin and you might do!

If you are on a package holiday, it could be worthwhile talking to your holiday rep, who may be able to direct you to an English speaking Doc, or pharmacy. Even if they don't understand diabetes and diabetics, they will understand clients who need medical assistance during your holiday. If you aren't on a package deal, the travel operators information boards could be helpful, and I would still consider approaching a rep, even if you're not one of their customers.

Good luck with it. It must be scaring you witless.
Yes I have medical travel insurance, I'm ok at the minute it's just for when it runs out I'm trying to think ahead and make sure I'm going to be ok, it's hard as they aren't very nice people when you try asking for help

Leanne85!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Oh I'm so sorry don't stress I have enough insulin in my pump to last me another day, with it being Sunday must pharmacys are closed, the hospital said to come back tomorrow as they have an English doctor who may be able to help me get a few infusion kits.
Please don't worry as I'm calm at the minute I've cried & panicked but that's not going to help me so need to stay calm and think logical on what I can do.
ok !! thanks for replying -- you have me and a few other late night UK peeps a fair bit worried here.

can you ask for help from your holiday rep ??
can you go back to the pharmacy and ask ( using google translate on your phone ) for some long acting insulin and more syringes ?

I will admit I am worried about you Leanne
do stay connected with us here

you may need to take small doses of fast acting at regular intervals to try and control bloods
( it will likely disrupt normal eating ) but at least you will be looking after yourself best you can

hugs [[[hugs]]] xx
o

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
you won't know how us lot can worry when we read a distress call on a sunday night -- LOL
I just want you to be safe and well young lady !!!!!!!!!!!

you hopefully got my PM if you need me to do anything

I am pretty good with maths and figuring pen bolus doses to act as background ( it is just a lot of testing )

be safe xxxxxxxxxxx

Leanne85!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
you won't know how us lot can worry when we read a distress call on a sunday night -- LOL
I just want you to be safe and well young lady !!!!!!!!!!!

you hopefully got my PM if you need me to do anything

I am pretty good with maths and figuring pen bolus doses to act as background ( it is just a lot of testing )

be safe xxxxxxxxxxx
It would happen to me I'm very a very laid back person, and just take things as they are at the minute I've got enough in my pump I'm just trying to think ahead on what I can do and see what I can sort out for the rest of the days I'm here.
Thank you very much for your concern I've got enough test strips to last me for the extra blood sugars, I will see what the English doctor says at the hospital and take it from there

Reactions: himtoo