Two months in.. T2 now told only to test twice a week

naquada

So... Somewhat confused... My nurse is lovely.. But I'm now being told to only test my bg twice a week... When first diagnosed I was running at 24-28... With tablets, exercise and my food plan she has said although I'm up and down (lowest of 4.7 highest of 17 averaging about 10 over 30days) she feels my levels are very well managed and I should only test twice a week... I don't need to lose weight I've always exercised and eat healthily...

I self fund my test strips and lancets...

I know not testing will stress me out

Seems silly for a condition that's reliant on you knowing your bg levels...?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just ignore her. She is wrong. Carry on testing because an average of 10 isn't that good. You have done well to get your levels down from what they were 2 months ago but you aren't quite there yet. What on earth is the good in testing twice a week? It tells you nothing and you may as well not bother. You need to test your meals to see what is causing your high spikes so you can amend the meal.

Reactions: 5 people

naquada

That's my logic as well... (And I'm very logical!! ;) )

I cook 90% of my meals from scratch... I follow a low gi/gl approach as my wife has pcos (which has similar effects to diabetes in glucose levels)... There are spikes, either from some food changes, or missing some exercise, or stress...

But testing helps me cope and has manage to get my levels down... My dad is type 2 as well... Has never tested... But again is just assuming his drugs keep his levels right..

Knowing my levels also helps me plan (I'm high so I need to eat stuff I know won't push it up, or I'm very low so I know I have room for something that may push it higher)

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
you can hypo on Gliclazide, therefore you need to test regularly and as per uk drug 'law' you are entitled to have strips provided.
also if you are getting 17's you may be eating too many carbs, have a read about LCHF

Karen.G.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
As above - ignore your nurse. You are in charge of your diabetes and without testing you don't know what is happening. Well done on getting your numbers down so far :)

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Yet again another victim of outfox ate NHS advice. If I had a pound for every person who has been given this advice, I'd be a rich woman. If you're self funding, try an sd codefree meter from ebay. Cheaper by £1 than amazon from the same company.free pp. strips are only £7 a pot of 50 2/3 cheaper than those available over the counter. If I didn't test, my husband wouldn't have known I'd gone hypo and called the NHS health line who sent the paramedics. Bs diet and weight are interlinked. I test several times daily. Keep on testing. As jack says, why not try LCHF? www.dietdoctor.com

Reactions: 2 people

naquada

Thanks... I get my strips from amazon, and the get amazon to refund the VAT.. So it works out about the same as your saying above.. £10ish for 50 with free postage...

I'm 41... About 6ft and weight is about 78kg.. So from memory last time I checked.. BMW is about spot on... And to be honest I don't want any diet that makes me loose any weight, as I really feel I'm thin enough... My diabetes it seems is genetic.. My dad has it.. And I think his dad as well...

If a low carb diet drops off more weight.. I'd not be in a good place!

Today is the first day I've not tested at all... I'm feeling twitchy, as I have no idea what my bloods are... I don't feel ill (so I think I'm above my normal feeling ill level of 8... And I'm certainly below my initial start of 24!) but what my levels are....!?

I'm still learning and I think I'm in a way following the eating to my meter... I've never drunk much alcohol.. If I've drunk it's gin and tonic (Hendricks and diet tonic water) I've tested and it seems to make zero impact on my bloods... Or.. It's wine, which except the strawberry wine I had a glass of on holiday, also has little effect on me for a glass... And the only other drink I've ever drunk is Guinness.. And if I drink any of those... It's like a glass a week sometimes even a month....

Don't smoke...

I like curry.. But again the restaurant I order from I've tested and luckily what I order, I a small portion seems to have very little impact on my bloods (I may go up 1 or 2 from before to 2-3 hours after)

Food of choice snack wise is natural yogurt with some porridge oats and seeds.. Carrots and humus, celery and humus etc

If I eat bread.. I have a lower gi granary, same for other things, if I had to have a wrap.. It's a seeded wrap or granary to keep it lower gi...

I walk a good 3-4 miles most days.. Uphill and flat so it's a reasonable workout....

I've never hypo'ed in the true sense.. Although because my body has been used to running on 24.. I can feel pretty dire at 8! One day I will get to being comfortable and stable at 6 etc but it's not here yet..

Thinking about it all day today... The single phrase that's haunted me all day about not testing is..

"I don't feel I am in control of my diabetes if I'm not testing"

And I think the advice of continuing to test is right...

I'm not sure of the logic of not testing.. As I've already been told I can't have strips on prescription.. I'm self funding... So it's not the nhs trying to save money....

Just crazy.. And a bit disheartening to be honest!

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks... I get my strips from amazon, and the get amazon to refund the VAT.. So it works out about the same as your saying above.. £10ish for 50 with free postage...

I'm 41... About 6ft and weight is about 78kg.. So from memory last time I checked.. BMW is about spot on... And to be honest I don't want any diet that makes me loose any weight, as I really feel I'm thin enough... My diabetes it seems is genetic.. My dad has it.. And I think his dad as well...

If a low carb diet drops off more weight.. I'd not be in a good place!

Today is the first day I've not tested at all... I'm feeling twitchy, as I have no idea what my bloods are... I don't feel ill (so I think I'm above my normal feeling ill level of 8... And I'm certainly below my initial start of 24!) but what my levels are....!?

I'm still learning and I think I'm in a way following the eating to my meter... I've never drunk much alcohol.. If I've drunk it's gin and tonic (Hendricks and diet tonic water) I've tested and it seems to make zero impact on my bloods... Or.. It's wine, which except the strawberry wine I had a glass of on holiday, also has little effect on me for a glass... And the only other drink I've ever drunk is Guinness.. And if I drink any of those... It's like a glass a week sometimes even a month....

Don't smoke...

I like curry.. But again the restaurant I order from I've tested and luckily what I order, I a small portion seems to have very little impact on my bloods (I may go up 1 or 2 from before to 2-3 hours after)

Food of choice snack wise is natural yogurt with some porridge oats and seeds.. Carrots and humus, celery and humus etc

If I eat bread.. I have a lower gi granary, same for other things, if I had to have a wrap.. It's a seeded wrap or granary to keep it lower gi...

I walk a good 3-4 miles most days.. Uphill and flat so it's a reasonable workout....

I've never hypo'ed in the true sense.. Although because my body has been used to running on 24.. I can feel pretty dire at 8! One day I will get to being comfortable and stable at 6 etc but it's not here yet..

Thinking about it all day today... The single phrase that's haunted me all day about not testing is..

"I don't feel I am in control of my diabetes if I'm not testing"

And I think the advice of continuing to test is right...

I'm not sure of the logic of not testing.. As I've already been told I can't have strips on prescription.. I'm self funding... So it's not the nhs trying to save money....

Just crazy.. And a bit disheartening to be honest!

You're getting good advice on this forum - manage your carb intake and test regularly. It might even be better to test a little more frequently in the beginning, just whilst you get to grips with how your BG tracks during the day, and what foods send them up.
Low carb isn't really for 'dieting' here - the advice to eat less carbohydrate in your diet is that your body is no longer able to process it properly. If you begin to lose weight and you don't want to, just eat even more or the right food!

Great that you take regular exercise - if you can time that to be 30mins or so after you've eaten even better, because it will help bring your blood glucose level after any rise from the meal.

It will probably take a little while longer before you feel 'normal' with BG readings of say 5. Others may be advise you better on how long that is likely to take. Great you've already made a huge improvement!

Recommending someone not to test their BG is dreadful advice - perhaps it was said because they didn't want you to worry unduly (having listened to your eating/exercise habits they perhaps that's why)
You have the right idea however, when you don't test you're not in control. It is your diabetes - it is a condition that can be managed and there is no reason to suffer any complications so long as you take control and ownership of it. All power to you!

Other places to go for advice - www.teambloodglucose.com for good basic info on diet and exercise (Type 2 kit bag)
Also, I just happened to find this again earlier - it flies in the face of the wisdom you will here from so many healthcare professionals. Have a read, it might settle any misgivings you have about low carb eating. (They'll all catch up eventually!)
http://www.zoeharcombe.com/2012/05/...-–-what-is-the-official-advice-for-diabetics/

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Hi there! You can save £3 if you get your strips from ebay per pot of £50. Just a thought if you're paying for your own! I believe your body self regulates on LCHF so it ditches weight when you need to. My husband lost 2 stone then plateaued. He has now stayed the same for several weeks.