1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1.5/LADA, diabetes educator 'has never heard of it'

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by chumbley17, Mar 12, 2020.

1. chumbley17

chumbley17 LADA · Newbie

My doctor has recommended I see their diabetic educator here in Australia as part of my diabetic management programme.
    I was diagnosed as type 1.5 / LADA in 2004 and have a more or less consistent HbA1c of 7.4
    My initial phone chat with the educator was disappointing to say the least. She claimed I was 'just type 2' and 'had never heard of type 1.5' although I explained that I was diagnosed by a professor of endocrinology in 2004 and went straight onto insulin.
    Can anyone point me towards some material to share with this educator, so that she can help me and her other patients with the same diagnosis? Thank you

2. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

What shameful ignorance :banghead:

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

That is mind boggling.
    Maybe just point her to the wilipedia explanation, just to emphasise her ignorance?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latent_autoimmune_diabetes_in_adults

Just tell her that it is slow developing T1?

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

I agree with @EllieM - if that doesn't get through, you will need to ask for another who at least knows the differences. IMO - any advice you get from this ignorant educator is going to be potentially inadequate or even dangerous. You need someone who actually is educated. I have no idea how someone can be registered as a diabetic educator and be this ignorant, just shocking.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

I think I'd be tempted to tell her she might want to Google it - HCPs love to sneer about Google, but clearly it knows more on the subject than she does :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Geordie_P

Geordie_P Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It's usually best to give people some benefit of the doubt, but this educator is unfit for purpose. You might not need to know everything about your subject, but not knowing about 1.5 is the kind of shocking ignorance that shows they have never even been on Wikipedia or a forum. Compounding it by not saying '1.5? what's that? then looking it up on the phone there and then moves the situation into wilful stupidity and arrogance. Not knowing, then being willing to hear what it is and look it up would be more reasonable.

7. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Perhaps she ought to think about a change in career as she has the potential to cause damage by advising patients incorrectly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. catinahat

catinahat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I would let your Dr know just how uneducated their educator is.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Hi. Nowadays it's more commonly called LADA rather than T1.5. This is a Google quote from this website:

LADA stands for Latent Autoimmune Diabetes of Adulthood. LADA is a form of type 1 diabetes that develops later into adulthood. LADA tends to develop more slowly than type 1 diabetes in childhood and, because LADA can sometimes appear similar to type 2 diabetes, doctors may mistakenly diagnose LADA as type 2 diabetes.

The Mayo clinic in the USA recognises it and so does diabetes.org.uk. Just Google 'LADA diabetes'

10. Dark Horse

Dark Horse · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook